FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on My Build

Post Date: 2020-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kgable10 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kgable10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Thoughts on My Build
    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
Budget:
Around $4000

Expectations:
Able to play most modern games at max settings in 1440p. Fast and responsive startup and programs. Strong performance for at least 2 years, at which point I would add new components.

Usage:
Mainly gaming and image editing, as well as work tasks and watching videos.

Special Needs:
Please also recommend me a monitor and keyboard. I have a great mouse. This is my first desktop so I am a little new, in the past I have always done gaming laptops. I am considering the ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A for the monitor and the Razer Ornata Chroma for the keyboard.

Saved Ticket #: 3393054

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E (Supports 802.11ac) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
kgable10 View Drop Down

Quote kgable10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:02pm
My main questions are regarding the motherboard and PSU. I like that motherboard for the 3 PCI-E slots but I could be convinced otherwise. For the PSU, I think 850W is fine but I could go to 1000 if needed.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:04am
850W PSU is all you'll ever need. I would get the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon with Wi-Fi so you don't need the extra PCIe slot for a Wi-Fi card.

You waste $$ spending on a 3080 for 1440p. The great card is the 3070 which is stronger than a 2080 Ti according to Nvidia, and will not falter at high settings in 2K. It will be available before your rig gets built, I believe.

There is absolutely no reason to overclock any of these new video cards. They are overpowered as it is.

In this day and age, I think it's time to step up to all-SSD storage. The best price/performance substitute for the HDD is a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO. Yeah, it's 1TB, but more storage is really easy to add later, and the larger drives are a bit pricey here.

I've had to look at that monitor closely recently, and it's a very strong choice IMHO. Keyboards are a personal choice.

With or without choosing the RTX 3070, this rig will last far longer than 2 years with a bit more SSD storage. It'll surprise you. Fairly basic parts are so powerful they are way out in front of where they need to be in gaming IMHO.
kgable10 View Drop Down

Quote kgable10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 6:47am
Thanks so much for your help, that all makes sense. I'll go with the 850W in that case.

Should I still leave the NVMe SSD as the main one for the OS and just have the 1TB SSD for storage?

I don't plan to ever SLI so I think that motherboard will be fine. I am concerned however about the PCIe slots, since the SSD takes one and then doesn't the graphics card take another? I could be wrong about that.

I will probably just go with the 3080, I know its overkill but I would prefer not to worry about it for a long time.

Thanks again
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:28am
NVMe for primary drive by all means. 5 times faster than SATA SSDs, it will blow you away. It fits in a small slot (M.2) right on the front of the motherboard and does not take a PCIe slot. It does use the PCIe bus, however. I use mine for OS, a few apps and all my maintenance software ( Malwarebytes, CCleaner and the like.) There's room left for several favorite games. Because it's compact, system scans are often done in under 2 minutes.

My thought is that you will still have a PCIe slot to use, because you won't use one for a Wi-Fi card. The MSI is a very well reviewed brand.

Electing the 3080 will extend the life of your system to the life of that card. Another reason not to overclock. Maybe several years from now you may want another 16 GB of RAM.
kgable10 View Drop Down

Quote kgable10 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:31am
Awesome, I will post the order today :D
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply