FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for a new computer

Post Date: 2020-06-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MikeD002 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MikeD002 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for a new computer
    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:18am
I bought an ODE level 4 in 2012. It is a great computer and met all my needs and expectations. I'm looking at getting a replacement computer.

I am looking at the Lynx level 4 computer for $1579. Budget wise that will work, but I can go higher if needed.

My needs are pretty simple. Right now I am not playing games. I use the computer mostly for internet, office, and watching videos. I expect to get back into games and want a computer that will be good (does not need to be the best) for the next 5 years. I tend to like strategy and role playing games. Not into first player shooter.

First question: Does the Lynx level 4 meet these needs?

Second question: Are there any configuration changes that would be a good cost/benefit to the pre-configured Lynx? When I bought the ODE level 4, it was a great combination of performance and price (though I think it was around $2500).

Third question: I have a question about monitors. I currently have two Sony monitors (SDM-S205F, 20 inch) that run on 1600x1200. They are 10-15 years old and are shaped more square (4:3) than rectangle. At the time of purchase, they were one of a few monitors available that supported 1600x1200. Now they are dinosaurs. I use one monitor when playing games, but use both when I am doing work (email, internet, office).

I'd like to replace the monitors, but don't know what goes well with the Lynx level 4. I don't want to over or under spec the monitor. I prefer the feel of two monitors side by side, but don't know if one larger monitor is a better solution. Together, my current monitors are 35 inches across. I can fit up to 40 inches across on my desk.

Given my satisfaction with my current computer, I would be foolish to not buy my next computer from DS.

Thank you for the assistance.
Wipeout View Drop Down

Quote Wipeout Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 1:46pm
Gonna follow this.  Have ODE 3(or 4?) from 2011 as well, only added ram and changed Vid card a few years back.  Crazy its lasted this long.  Still plays most games at medium-high but can slow down at times.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 6:19am
Welcome back. MikeD002!

IMHO, you have two ways to go, custom build that will be solid out of the box for five years, or Lynx Level 3 you upgrade yourself. As I see it, the diff would be about $450.

1) Have a look at this:

Config ID 3165760

>>Lumos case to help get to the $200 discount plateau.
>>The new i5 10400 proc. 6 cores, 12 threads, no one needs more for gaming. It's a tad faster than a Ryzen
3700x, and also the i7 8700K I have in my box.
It's only 5% behind the 9700F in the Lynx pre-builts.
>>16GB RAM
>>Asus Tuf mobo
>>850W PSU
>>500 GB Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD for primary drive.
>>RTX 2060 SUPER GPU. Top card for 1080p.
>>Dual fan all-in-one cooler gets over the hump for the discount. Costs $1836.

2) Buy the Lynx Level 3. Why not the 4? the difference is a larger SATA SSD, a single fan liquid cooler, and an RTX 2070 SUPER. None of which you need.

I highly recommend you stick with 1080p (1920x1080, aka HD). A 2070 is total overkill for that. The air cooler in the Level 3 is just fine, and the SSD doesn't matter.

The first thing you'll do after you order the Lynx 3 is go online and buy a 500GB NVMe M.2(form factor) SSD. It plugs directly into the mobo. You can get a Samsung for $100, a WD for $70, and other brands you may know can come cheaper than that. They are so much faster than a SATA SSD (up to 5x), the specs between brands don't matter. You will have it waiting for when your Lynx arrives, and you will clone the factory Windows set-up from DS to the new drive. You can keep the SATA as a backup, or wipe it when you want to.

Then you just proceed to game away. the RTX 2060 non-super will deliver frame rates up to 120 per second, and 100 or over in most games. The NVMe drive will blow you away. So, for $1400 or a little less, you're gaming. the only drawbacks are the mobo and the PSU are pretty basic units, and may not be the best for you a few years from now.

Now, monitors. I highly recommend you stick with 1080p. It's way cheaper, and the most visible impact on gaming is not so much the resolution, it's the framerate. You can get high framerate 1080p's at reasonable prices. I've been gaming on a 1080p for 10 years, and I've never been disappointed yet. Stepping up to 1440p is a massive step into a higher budget. High fps 1440 p monitors start over $400 and rapidly escalate. widescreens can go $1000.

Although I prefer IPS or VA panels over TN, TN has improved a lot over the past few years. I can easily recommend the Asus 24" DS offers here as your work panel. The price seems right and it has a lot of good features. Look it up. For your gamer, look at this page:

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

You might find something there. G-Sync compatibility is desirable for a gaming monitor.

Hope it's not TMI.

Edited by Cretae - 08 Jun 2020 at 6:22am
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 2:24pm
I upgraded my LG monitor to a 1440p monitor and am using the LG 27GL850 for my new computer.

I upgraded from a LG 27GL650F monitor which is just fine at 1080p. That is now my wife's monitor.

Both monitors will run at 144Hz with DisplayPort.
MikeD002 View Drop Down

Quote MikeD002 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 5:11pm
Thanks for the response. It’s exactly the information that I wanted and needed. I think I’m going to go with the custom Lumos build you recommended. I’ll stay with 1080.

I did have one question about the configuration. There is an option for a free cpu overclock. Should I get that? It was not selected in the config.

Regarding monitors, I need to do a little more research. I like the suggestion of a gaming monitor and a work monitor. I like symmetry, so I need to figure out what they would look like next to one another.

Once again, thank you.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 7:17pm
I did take the free CPU Level 1 overclock. If you get the same liquid cooling, the DS Level 2, the same one Cretae recommended and also the one I purchased, the overclock is a no-brainer. My system has not exceeded 80 degrees on ultra setting in games.

I did not take the GPU overclock.

Good luck!!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:14am
It's a pleasure.

TBH, not seeing a "K" behind that proc I think means it's locked. Doesn't mean you can't ask the question, but I think the Configurator is a glitch on this one. I think an overclock would void the warranty.

This proc fits your budget. Compared with my top gaming proc (i7 8700K) from two years ago, it's only 4% off. Mine never breaks a sweat. These days the science and downsizing the die has made the #3 in the line a rock crusher. You'll have no bottleneck from your CPU for years.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by MikeD002

Regarding monitors, I need to do a little more research. I like the suggestion of a gaming monitor and a work monitor. I like symmetry, so I need to figure out what they would look like next to one another.

Having a single ultrawide monitor might look a little cleaner on your desk, as compared to 2 stands for 2 separate monitors.

I have a curved 34" monitor that I use for both gaming and work. It is wide enough to easily have 3 large, separate work windows open simultaneously, and, all 3 windows are very readable, even gets better when you only have 2 windows open. A very clean looking setup, total horizontal screen width is 32".

A single ultrawide also eliminates the image break that occurs across a 2-monitor setup when gaming.
 Post Reply Post Reply