FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for a Upgrade

Post Date: 2023-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tidusx99 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tidusx99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for a Upgrade
    Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 12:16pm
My last DS system was back in 2010 so it’s due to revisit and get a new system. Currently I’m using a I7 12th gen/nvidia 2060/b660 mobo/16gb ram (might be wrong on the mobo just not at home to verify) base system that was one of the ******** ***s back in 2021 I grabbed after my divorce.

Potential Configuration: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4662755

Daily use during the weekdays ranging from 3-6 hours a day while weekends will be more heavy upwards of 12 hours daily when I do hop on to play.

Usage consists of Twitch Partner Streaming (streamlabs ultra software), Spotify, Overwolf desktop plus applications to include screen recording while streaming, League of Legends primarily played with the off time of Starcraft Brood War Remastered, Diablo 2 remastered, WoW Classic and other random off games here and there like (Dota 2 and eventually Diablo 4).

Outside of that, just general usage of online activity primarily Google suite apps, slack, PandaDoc, dialpad/Kixie, and just regular use browsing with Brave browser.

Does this configuration seem to be viable or hit all the marks for this use and need or anything that can be adjusted (higher or lower)? Primarily want to just set it up for future use for the next 3 years give or take but anything beyond that is great.

As always, thank you for the help, review and input!

... competitor name removed as a professional courtesy ...

Edited by Snaike - 09 Apr 2023 at 11:29pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 10:54pm
I know little about recording and streaming, but you have selected a CPU with a lot of extra power to facilitate without going over the top. The 32GB of DDR5 is also a wise choice. The power supply is adequate for your build, but doesn't allow for much upgrading from there. I highly recommend one of the 850W PSUs so when that video card you've been dreaming of comes along you'll have enough.

I also note the sparse amount of storage which seems to tell me you will be migrating some from elsewhere. You do not want the DS NVMe for your primary drive. The Samsung 980 PRO in either the 500GB or 1 TB model is the one you want. It's 3 x faster than the DS model, and that's the one drive in your system you want and need the most performance from. Everything you do in Windows will benefit from that speed demon, and you'll probably boot in under 15 seconds. Don't skimp there.

You might consider the Noctua air cooler, which has pretty much the same cooling prowess as the all-in-one, but will last nearly forever.

The RTX3060 Ti is the best 1080p graphics solution ever, and can perform very well at 1440p.

The 2 changes I pretty much insist you want will run $105 if you get the compact and manageable 500GB 980. It's all you need if you have plenty of secondary storage. The air cooler is just a suggestion for no worries cooling.

You can expect at least a five year effective life span for this rig. The CPUs today are way out in front of what a gamer/streamer needs, so it's gonna be solid for a long time. 32GB of DDR5 will last the life of this rig. Beef up the PSU, and you'll be able to upgrade your video if you need to.    
tarafoster View Drop Down

Quote tarafoster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:44am
Thanks for the information..   
rory
tidusx99 View Drop Down

Quote tidusx99 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Cretae

I know little about recording and streaming, but you have selected a CPU with a lot of extra power to facilitate without going over the top. The 32GB of DDR5 is also a wise choice. The power supply is adequate for your build, but doesn't allow for much upgrading from there. I highly recommend one of the 850W PSUs so when that video card you've been dreaming of comes along you'll have

Would it be better to change to i5 then or retain the i7 as is (or maybe even drop to i7 12th gen)?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 2:02pm
Well, the 12th gen is a huge step back, so don't go there!

I do think that having two co-dependent operations going on at once may cause some wait states in your CPU. IDK if at this chip generation level you would even notice. I'm sure as a member of that hobby and better access to their wisdom and practical experience, you should look at some of your favorite sites and take the advice you find there. I believe I can state categorically, that an i9 would be overkill and unnecessary.

The issue seems to be if the additional cores/threads of the i7 13700k would be worth the investment. It's likely to be a close call you should make without a non-streamer's influence. A look online BY ME just muddied the waters. It was mostly the usual non-committal the 13600 is great (it is) but the 13700K is better (well, yeah, of course). I just don't know where to go to get some real-world info, but I'd bet you do.

(My)Bottom line, I believe the i5 13600KF to be one of the best new products in several years. It will perform well enough, I think, that you will never know what you're missing (if anything).

Sry I can't do better.   

Edited by Cretae - 10 Apr 2023 at 2:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply