FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for an Upgrade

Post Date: 2020-09-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mortified_Penguin View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mortified_Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for an Upgrade
    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Hello,

It's time to upgrade my brother's PC. His game tends to start stuttering and lagging when playing graphically intense games like Rainbow Six Siege and Division 2. I'm thinking of upgrading his graphic card to start.

Here's my config code so that you can see the specs for yourself: 3079305

He has the Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics card. I'm looking to get an upgrade for this. Budget is around $200. But I'm willing to spend more if it means a guaranteed performance boost in graphics.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 4:03am
Here's a surprise for you: RX Vega 11 is not a graphics CARD, it is built into the CPU, aka onboard graphics. It is no surprise it has trouble in graphically intense games.

The very best price/performance buy right now for a very strong upgrade is called a GTX 1660 SUPER. You can find it for ~$230. It is a genuine bargain compared with anything else near that price range. Saving just $20-30 on a lesser card would mean at least a 15% performance hit. Paying any more, (like on a 1660 Ti) would not be worth the extra $$. A 1660 SUPER is what you want to get. It will game well on a 1080p monitor for several years.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-gv-n1660oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932138?item=N82E16814932138&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-video+card+-+nvidia-_-N82E16814932138&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhvf6BRCkARIsAGl1GGin5Drf0mkXXBfhyuasX3tkgRAhmHx0SLOFAEwB2vbE84Era_N6DXEaAukpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds">

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Super-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B083B26B8L">

Be sure you get the SUPER, and you will not regret it.

.... tried to add hyperlinks to fix formatting / failed ....

nothing to see here, move along

Edited by Snaike - 13 Sep 2020 at 4:30am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:50am
Make sure that if you do as Cretae suggests and get a dedicated gpu you connect the monitor to the new gpu. You'll find that the port you are using will no longer output video.
That is an easy and noticeable upgrade.
Enjoy.
Mortified_Penguin View Drop Down

Quote Mortified_Penguin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 12:57am
Oh He's using a T.V as his monitor. Interesting. Thank you for the recommendation! You guys are the best :)
 Post Reply Post Reply