FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for another DS system!

Post Date: 2023-04-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Syncaine View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time for another DS system!
    Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 7:48am
Budget:
Around 3k

Expectations:
Gaming at 3440x1440 on highest settings. This will be my 3rd DS system, and this forum has always helped me with getting the right parts for what I need.

I like having a single large HD, and I believe 1TB will be enough (I delete games I no longer play and don't store videos or anything like that). The CPU/Motherboard I'm not sure about. For the graphics card I'm open to suggestions, ideally don't want to have to upgrade it within the next few years if possible, but also don't want to go much above 3k.

Usage:
Mostly gaming.

Saved Ticket #: 4675679
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 4:22pm
Forgot to copy in the config, here it is:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5-13600KF (5.1 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (14-Core) 3.5 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:24pm
You have it mostly right. Good job. The only niggles I'd have are pretty inconsequential. The slightly faster RAM is no budget breaker, but you would never be able to detect any difference from the 5200 MHz.

I'd recommend you consider the Noctua air cooler. It's more than likely to out-last the all-in-one, and runs nearly silent. You won't have any concern about a pump going out. WORST case is you'd have to replace a fan, I wouldn't bet on it. That's all I've got!

The CPU is perfect for a gaming rig. The quantity of RAM assures multi-tasking glory, and covers any future needs. The GPU is superb for very long term gaming at your res on games well into the future.

Enjoy!   
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2023 at 8:22am
For the fan recommendation, does that basically mean the fan cools about as well as the liquid cooling? I'd always just assumed liquid become a thing because it cooled better than a fan?
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2023 at 4:55am
Liquid cooling came along back in the day mainly for "overclockers". Back in the day, overclocking was a sure fire way to get a lot more out of a PC and they needed the extra cooling liquid provided. Since then, the changes in chip design and the way they perform make overclocking not very useful for the average gamer, only for those that are looking for benchmark results and bragging rights.

Air cooling now a days can be just as effective as liquid with the right set up, case and cooler. Processors ramp up on their own when needed so overclocking is pointless.

The Noctua offered here is and always has been one of the best, if not the best air cooler around. AIO liquid coolers are good and will cool as well than the Noctua. Some will say that with the Noctua Air cooler you don't have to worry about the AIO going bad. I have never encountered an AIO boing bad in the two two previous PCs I had and both I used for over 5 years before moving on to a new rig.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2023 at 5:08am
Relly appreciate the info, thank you. Makes sense!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:05pm
You will love the Noctua. It is very quiet and effective at cooling.
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2023 at 4:54am
Thanks for all the help everyone, order has been placed!

One final (hopefully) question; it says in the account portal that the estimated ship time will be at the bottom of the confirmation email (10-15 days), and I got the order status email that it is in the backlog queue.

I know the system will ship when it does, and it takes some time, but any rough estimates? Is it going to be a few weeks, a month, longer? Or is the 10-15 days accurate?

Edited by Syncaine - 04 May 2023 at 4:56am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2023 at 8:42am
Congratulations.

It really depends on what hardware is backlogged and eta.  You can get a better time estimate and reason for delay by calling DS directly.

Good luck.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2023 at 3:08am
'Grats!   
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 May 2023 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Syncaine

Thanks for all the help everyone, order has been placed!

One final (hopefully) question; it says in the account portal that the estimated ship time will be at the bottom of the confirmation email (10-15 days), and I got the order status email that it is in the backlog queue.

I know the system will ship when it does, and it takes some time, but any rough estimates? Is it going to be a few weeks, a month, longer? Or is the 10-15 days accurate?

In todays world, who knows? So many variables out of any PC builders control that I feel sorry for them having to try and state an "estimated ship by date".

To start off, parts availability, then if all your parts are available and in their bin.............. how many PCs are in front of you for the build process?

Go by the stated ship by date and when that passes and you have not heard anything, contact DS directly.

Best of luck to you, you have now entered the "Twilight Zone".
Old Gamers Never Die!
 Post Reply Post Reply