Time to do it...final check

Post Date: 2009-06-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Zardoz8719 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time to do it...final check
    Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 8:03am
Ticket # 298454

Primary & Secondary use: gaming...
Monitor resolution: 1900 x 1200
Primary concerns...heat, fan noise, performance, maintaining high frame-rate at current monitor resolution (w/options for upgrade to higher resolution later).

Questions/answers:
1.  Going with Intel 160GB SSD...high cost...but, it's the best?  Worth the $$$ or makes no difference and should go with OCZ?
2. Going w/Classified mobo... 2x275's and sound card...leaves room to go Tri SLI later.
3.  1K PSU now--rather than have to change out later if upgrade to Tri-SLI.
4.  Blu-Ray Player/DVD writer...like having both options in one place...
5.  Sound card vs. on-board...only cuz I already have nice speakers--want to get the best out of them.
6.  Dual Loop for CPU and GPU...addresses primary concern for limiting heat/fan noise. 
7.  Went with LED fan upgrade--though told they might be louder than stock--because the kids want the light show (I'm weak what can I say...)
8.  Went with "stage one" OC...despite having LC on CPU/GPUs and ability to go for "stage two" to minimize additional heat/noise etc...  Sacrificing (small) gain in performance for "quiet"...realize this objective might not make sense to everyone.
9.  Got Memory fan w/o memory OC...small additional cost--extra fan can't hurt.
10. Getting NVIDIA 3D bundle...w/monitor.  Will be switching between 1900x1200 primary monitor and this one @ 1680 x 1050...  which is reason for only 2 x 275's instead of three.
11.  Getting DS T-shirt...Cuz I'm proud to represent those with a genuine concern for their customers...it's the least I can do.
12.  5-year warranty...will help me sleep at night--if I never have to use it--it will be worth it for the peace of mind.

As for "special notes" and modifications:  I've asked for
1. Memory 3 x 2GB
2. Dual rad on GPU and CPU w/quick disconnects
3. LC w/quick disconnects and "drain" hose on BOTH loops.
4. Crate for shipping

Disapprove  All comments appreciated...and taken into consideration...thanx ahead of time.

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 24 Jun 2009 at 9:43am
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 9:18am
looks like ure ready to me only thing is are u decided on the color of LC( are you going with one of DSes stock colors) if u need any help ill send u an e-mail link that has diffrent LC colors?

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 9:40am
Originally posted by inferno23

looks like ure ready to me only thing is are u decided on the color of LC( are you going with one of DSes stock colors) if u need any help ill send u an e-mail link that has diffrent LC colors?

I hear you on the "different" colors...and though it's "MY" computer I'm trying to be diplomatic in agreeing with wife/kids on their (minor decorating likes/concerns) Smile
Actually, I'm with you on getting/trying something different...but, if I re-open the discussion...by the time they argue over colors...I might miss the latest promotion/discount.  Big%20smile  So, THANKS for your input/help...It's just that...I've waited so long...right now...all I want to do is pull-the-trigger and get SOMETHING WinkAngrySmile

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 24 Jun 2009 at 9:40am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

Ticket # 298454

Primary & Secondary use: gaming...

Monitor resolution: 1900 x 1200

Primary concerns...heat, fan noise, performance, maintaining high frame-rate at current monitor resolution (w/options for upgrade to higher resolution later).

Questions/answers:

1.  Going with Intel 160GB SSD...high cost...but, it's the best?  Worth the $$$ or makes no difference and should go with OCZ?

2. Going w/Classified mobo... 2x275's and sound card...leaves room to go Tri SLI later.

3.  1K PSU now--rather than have to change out later if upgrade to Tri-SLI.

4.  Blu-Ray Player/DVD writer...like having both options in one place...

5.  Sound card vs. on-board...only cuz I already have nice speakers--want to get the best out of them.

6.  Dual Loop for CPU and GPU...addresses primary concern for limiting heat/fan noise. 

7.  Went with LED fan upgrade--though told they might be louder than stock--because the kids want the light show (I'm weak what can I say...)

8.  Went with "stage one" OC...despite having LC on CPU/GPUs and ability to go for "stage two" to minimize additional heat/noise etc...  Sacrificing (small) gain in performance for "quiet"...realize this objective might not make sense to everyone.

9.  Got Memory fan w/o memory OC...small additional cost--extra fan can't hurt.

10. Getting NVIDIA 3D bundle...w/monitor.  Will be switching between 1900x1200 primary monitor and this one @ 1680 x 1050...  which is reason for only 2 x 275's instead of three.

11.  Getting DS T-shirt...Cuz I'm proud to represent those with a genuine concern for their customers...it's the least I can do.

12.  5-year warranty...will help me sleep at night--if I never have to use it--it will be worth it for the peace of mind.

As for "special notes" and modifications:  I've asked for

1. Memory 3 x 2GB

2. Dual rad on GPU and CPU w/quick disconnects

3. LC w/quick disconnects and "drain" hose on BOTH loops.

4. Crate for shipping

Disapprove  All comments appreciated...and taken into consideration...thanx ahead of time.

1. for gaming go ocz

2. great system, look like you know exctly what you want and why you want it and thats all that matters
GeneralShrooms View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GeneralShrooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 12:48pm
What kind of speakers do you have?

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 12:56pm
@DST4ME...  Will take your advice and switch to OCZ...am partial to Intel...but, if it makes little difference it makes sense to save $$$ where you can.  Thanx. Ermm
Got to thinking on the Upgraded LED fans...and wondering...by going that route...will any of the fans be "downsized"??  I'm thinking it's better to have the large 230mm vs. smaller one's?  Then again, I'm thinking with LC the (smaller) fans shouldn't be maxed out anyway--even if DSO does replace "stock" with smaller "LED" fans??
As for knowing what I want...it comes from reading forum configuration posts--and your recommendations--all these past few months  Smile 

Just one last thing...I've also gone with your dual rad recommendation on the CPU and GPUs...as well as...(your) "drain hose on BOTH loops...AND...quick disconnects on both rads and other LC hookups.  Seems like that pretty much covers it...except the possibility of different (better) water blocks...or some other nifty thing?  If you think it's pretty much covered...then I'll be calling Sarah here in a bit  Dead Again, Thankx for all you inputs and patience...much appreciated.

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 24 Jun 2009 at 2:14pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by GeneralShrooms

What kind of speakers do you have?

Had sometime ago bought Razer-Mako 300w 2.1-Channel...  Funny you should ask...they look just like a set of (black) mushrooms (shrooms)  Smile  I bought them thinking I would order a computer quickly...but, here I am...just now doing it.  So, other than testing to see if they work...they're still in the box Wink  And yes, they were too expensive...but, I fell in love with the look(s) Dead
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 1:14pm
Thats right, give me a call! Im ready for ya!
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

AbsiNthe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AbsiNthe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Zardoz8719

@DST4ME...  Will take your advice and switch to OCZ...am partial to Intel...but, if it makes little difference it makes sense to save $$

haha think of it this way if your still thinking about that.

Your paying for their processor, on their platform, and will upgrade to another one of their processors in the future.

good luck!!! I can;t wait for your review with pictures!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 2:17pm
go with sweiftech gtz waterblock or heat killer 3.0 waterblock for CPU.

the 230mm fan will be replaced with 4 x 120mm fans but the 4 fans at high speed have higher airflow but they also have higher noise, you can control them via LCD temp control.

the blue 230mm fan you will not be able to control period.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 2:43pm
Called Sarah...the suspense is over...the order is in...the waiting begins...Disapprove
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 2:49pm
Let the torture begin

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

go with sweiftech gtz waterblock or heat killer 3.0 waterblock for CPU.

the 230mm fan will be replaced with 4 x 120mm fans but the 4 fans at high speed have higher airflow but they also have higher noise, you can control them via LCD temp control.

the blue 230mm fan you will not be able to control period.

Called back...talked to James...said they don't have either in stock at present...will have to "Special Order"...will be delay and extra $$$...and (he) added it won't make too much of a difference.  So, stayed with DD waterblock they have/usually use.  Thanx for the recommendation though!  Ermm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 3:25pm
I would have waited, it does not take long to get a GTZ and IMO its much better, however you chose stage 1 OC and if you are not going to push your OC yourself then I recommend you drop the rad for the CPU to a single rad also.

but if you are gonna push it yourself then get the GTZ or heat killer, I know justin will tell you that they are better then others too

so recap, if not pushing yourself, stay with DD waterblock and single rad for CPU.

if pushing yourself go with GTZ or heat killer and dual rad

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 5:18pm
@ DST4ME...
Won't be "pushing" it myself...so will stay with DD--Thanks.  As for going from a dual rad to single rad for CPU...what difference will it make?? Dead  Guess it's not like "if single is good...dual is better huh" Ying%20Yang   Guess I'm hoping that it won't make a difference--cuz I don't want to seem like a pest calling again.  But, if it's necessary--it's necessary...I'll call and change it.  Pinch   Dual rad on the GPUs is fine then?? Censored

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 24 Jun 2009 at 5:20pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 5:29pm
the difference will be the price you pay, for temps dual might provide better temps but for your OC and config, I don't think it will make a difference, but dual rad costs you more, this is only for CPU.

keep the dual for GPU.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Jun 2009 at 5:29pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 6:23pm

the difference will be the price you pay, for temps dual might provide better temps but for your OC and config, I don't think it will make a difference, but dual rad costs you more, this is only for CPU.

keep the dual for GPU.
Never fails...the one day I pick to order a computer--and try to type question(s) and get answers...is the day I'm needed in 72 other places at the same time...guess, that's life Smile SmileSmile

Ok, sounds good.  Other than the extra cost...I'm thinking I might as well ask for the swiftech GTZ waterblock or HeatKiller 3.0 waterblock at the same time (even if I'm not going to "push" it later).  I know it will be special order/more $$$ but, sounds like you really think it's worth the effort.  So...any preference...between the two (since I'll probably have to designate which one I want to special order)...??  If you leave it up to me...I'll have to flip a coin...can't guarantee which way that'll come out  Smile 

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 24 Jun 2009 at 6:24pm
AbsiNthe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AbsiNthe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 6:38pm
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/490270-my-apogee-gtz-vs-heatkiller-v3.html

Based on That Review, id say HeatKiller 3.0, check it out yourself and see what you think.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 7:54pm
justin likes the heatkiller I like GTZ, you won't notice the difference between them since you are not pushing.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 8:00pm
I have several setups with the GTZ, one with the heatkiller.. both good blocks.
On the other hand, lol The best block to the worst block you might see 5C-6C difference.  It is not  critical for under 4.0Ghz  machines.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 8:13pm
and how much extra is that block
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 9:34pm
I think they each run you extra $40 bucks or something like that on top the LC cost.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 5:53pm
@ DST4ME
@ AbsiNthe...
@Justin.Kerr...
@Inferno23...

Called DSO this morning...talked to James...Special Ordered "HeatKiller" 3.0 waterblock for CPU.  James double checked price...$92.  James called back about an hour ago to say it's currently out of stock--on backorder--will take about a week...wanted to know if I still wanted to wait...said yes.

Also, told James I was having second thoughts about the LED fan upgrade--replacing 230mm fan with four smaller ones....and about how much (more) light all these LEDs would be putting out...  James recommended going with Zalman performance fan upgrade...no LEDs and they're quieter.  I agreed.

Thanks...to all of you for your inputs/suggestions...couldn't have done it without you. DisapproveErmm  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 6:24pm
the Zalman fans have higher airflow and at full speed are very loud. unless you run them on low which you need the LCD temp display.

but if you run them on low, why do the upgrade to begin with? the stock 230mm will do just fine.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Jun 2009 at 6:25pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:22pm

the Zalman fans have higher airflow and at full speed are very loud. unless you run them on low which you need the LCD temp display.

but if you run them on low, why do the upgrade to begin with? the stock 230mm will do just fine.

By golly, to think I ALMOST had it right when I said cancel the LEDs and go back to "stock" fans Smile Smile  I know James was trying to help...and to be honest...I've heard what he said about the Zalman's being quieter also...(but, then again, some poster's claimed otherwise too)?  In the end, you rely on someone/something to help you decide--especially, if you don't have the opportunity to test/hear for yourself. Big%20smile  James said the Zalman's were quieter than the "stock"...guess I should have asked if that holds true at high speed too? Geek Smile  

Huuummm, what to do, what to do....  I think where I keep going wrong...is in the wording..."upgrade"...and "performance".  In my mind, you have the lowest tier--"stock" fans.  After that, the next higher tier (meaning better...if not more costly) would be the "upgraded/performance" fans.  Where I go wrong is in thinking that the words "upgraded/performance"  signify both high speeds AND quieter operation--when in this case, it would seem it only refers to higher RPM's and not necessarily lower db.  Angry

As I see it...my problem is...I call back change the Zalman fans back to "stock" appearing to refute James contention they are the quietest.  Or, I don't call back...pay the $89 dollars for upgraded Zalman fans...hoping I only need run them @ low speeds...and, in reality (like you say DST4ME) end up paying (more) to get back what I had with stock fans...WinkBig%20smileSmile 
I'll call again tomorrow...have James switch back to "STOCK"...unless, someone has any last minute alternate endings/suggestions...Approve

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:25pm
well you need the LCD temp control to control the speed also, so that cost money too, otherwise they are running at full speed and loud.

so if you have the LCD temp display, there is the money for that also.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:36pm

well you need the LCD temp control to control the speed also, so that cost money too, otherwise they are running at full speed and loud.

so if you have the LCD temp display, there is the money for that also.

No...don't have the LCD temp display...the one time I tried to sneak it past you in another configuration (I think with stock fans?) you told me I didn't need it/waste of money...or something similar.... 

I really do appreciate ALL your help...and I don't know why the "fans" have always given me fits.  Whether to get the LCD display--kind of like it--but, if it's nothing more than eye candy--forget it.

No...I'm at the point I just want to get this set in concrete--order wise--and take a couple of day break from thinking/agonizing over whether I've picked/ordered/paid for all the right stuff--if you know what I mean.

So, in that vein...wanting quiet...(regardless of the price right now...) will the stock fans do the trick--should I order all Noctura fans...who knows--cuz it's not me?  And should I get the LCD temp display...with certain fans...or nothing at all??   Color me confused  LOL  P.S.  thought the fan speeds could be controlled with a software program also??
P.P.S...at the chance of sounding rediculous...right now, it's not a matter of $$$...but, peace of mind...and keeping that "good feeling" of having ordered something I've wanted for a long time...and being happy...(make any sense...)

Edited by Zardoz8719 - 25 Jun 2009 at 8:48pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:56pm
well all I can tell you is this:

without the temp controller, the fans run at full speed aka loud.

at full speed they do provide more airflow then stock fan, but as I mentioned they are loud.

if you get the lcd temp display to lower fans due to nose, you will be at stock fan airflow, and probably same noise.

people that go dual loop do so for good temps under load and less noise, so to get fans goes against both.

the rest is up to you.

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Jun 2009 at 8:56pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:04pm
Please, forgive me...it's really been a long day...and I'm soo tired right now...I can't see straight... 

Loud isn't what I want...so I'm going with STOCK fans--right?
Stock fans don't need LCD Temp display--right/wrong?
All other LED/Perfromance upgrade fans require LCD Temp Displey right/wrong?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:07pm
stock fan is OK, what I'm saying is that its not as loud as upgraded fans running at full speed, however if you get upgraded fans then lower their speed to achieve lower noise, you will end-up with less airflow then stock but yes more quiet fans.

stock fans can't be controlled so the LCD temp display/controller won't do anything there.

fan upgrades do not require LCD temp display/controller, unless you want to control their speed.

does that clear it up?

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Jun 2009 at 9:08pm

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:34pm
While I was waiting for you to reply...I happen to read all your posts to Eastor...couldn't believe how "identical" our questions...and CONFUSION...and responses from James were!  Again, I agree with your agruments in Eastor...and am hoping for someone to help clear up the confusion...  Again, thanks for all you help and PATIENCE...  You've been typing your little fingers off today--haven't you...and a lot of it on FANS and LC... Angry
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:38pm
LOL my pleasure, I'm just trying to understand where the LC system is going wrong that it needs a fan upgrade.

eastor is going tri sli, you are not going tri sli are you, you are just going dual sli, and on dual loop right?

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:49pm

LOL my pleasure, I'm just trying to understand where the LC system is going wrong that it needs a fan upgrade.

eastor is going tri sli, you are not going tri sli are you, you are just going dual sli, and on dual loop right?

Correct on all counts...  Yet, nobody told me I didn't need fans...  And my reasoning for getting 1k PSU, and dual loop LC, and Dual Rads on both CPU and GPU's is that if I should decide to go tri-sli in the near future...I was thinking all I would need to do is pop in another 275...  Then again, from reading Eastor's posts...maybe, I'll need  (besides tubing to the 3rd GPU...) another resevoir, and maybe MORE FANS Smile Smile SmileEvil%20Smile 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:51pm
lol, or maybe a third loop and more fans at his rate.

Quote Zardoz8719 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:55pm

lol, or maybe a third loop and more fans at his rate.

Well, calling it a night...maybe, things will be clearer in the morning...Broken%20Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>