Time to Finalize Security

Post Date: 2009-09-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BigKid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time to Finalize Security
    Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 2:44pm
I have had Barbarian (my computer's name) for about a month now. It has been the finest electronic experience of my life without a doubt. This forum has provided invaluable guidance purchasing and maintaining him. I hope that my numerous questions have not driven people here nuts, but I do have so much to learn. And yes, I have a few security-related questions about my setup. So please bear with me for as while longer.Confused
My ESET trial will expire in about 10 days and I need to decide how to secure my computer once and for all. I have been running the full eset suite, but NOD 32 is the core av part. What do you use for firewall if not ESET Security? If Windows Firewall is sufficient it would save a few bucks  and utilize security capability built into Vista OS.

Also, I can simply turn on my computer with no password. That is how it was set up. How do I create a login password?

I need to update Java. Do I install both the 32 and 64 bit of the latest version?

Last, I have noticed that Spysweeper is mentioned a lot in this forum. Is that recommended in addition to AV software, or would that be redundant?

Thanks again.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:03am
eset security suite will give you a great av and a firewall, the built in vista is ok but not the best IMO.

if you have a 64-bit os then yes you better install both 32 bit and 64 bit java.

spysweeper is one of the best anti spyware out there, it catches what others leave behind and has about zero false positives which is a problem with other anti spyware, and no it won't be redundant.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 2:40pm
I have been using AVG free edition for a couple of years now.  I used to use Norton but had problems with HD recovery. The current edition of AVG is 8.5.  I haven't had any problems.  I would like to hear what other forks think about AVG free as I don't have any experience except with Norton and AVG.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 8:05am
I never recommend freeware for security apps for 24/7 protection, and I have a freeware site, IMHO you should use freeware security apps for emergencies and such, otherwise payware for security apps.
BigKid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 10:35am
Just a brief progress report on finalizing my security.

Harleyman, If your avatar is any indication, I hope you are not a pilot. Cry

First, thanks to all for the help.

I have created an User account P/W now, and updated Java 32 & 64. I went ahead a purchased ESET Security and Spysweeper. I will be downloading and installing those soon.

Question: Can I use CCleaner to uninstall the trial version of eset or will that leave files remaining?

Anyway, almost there.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 2:33pm
CCleaner basically just runs the uninstaller of that app, if the apps own uninstaller leaves folder/files behind then yes stuff will be left behind.

remember when you download something never run it without nod32 and ss scanning it first,this way you should never catch anything, just make sure the av and as are up to date with their dbs.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Sep 2009 at 2:33pm
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 9:13pm
Also recommend using the on-line scanner (or the downloadable app) at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/.  Great for telling you if you have outdated or vulnerable versions of things like Java and the Adobe products.  I run the on-line scanner on the PC's in my house once a month and update products as necessary. 

This does not replace a good a/v, personal firewall or spyware scanner; but is another layer in keeping secure.
BigKid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote BigKid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 1:20am
Just wanted to touch base and say that I have updated java, eset, spysweeper, and password-protected my computer. And it still runs! Amazing.

Thanks to everyone yet again for the help.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 9:38am
good for you, thanks for the update
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:30am
I use Ad-Aware for spyware, but I'll make a confession: I haven't had any A/V for over six years.

Ever since I got a firewall I haven't had issue one with viruses. At first I used ZoneAlarm, then OnlineArmor, but now I'm flying with Vista's stock. I should also note that I have never (and will never) used MS Outlook or Windows Mail, I always fly with web-based mail. Also, I don't use "warez", I don't Torrent files, cracked games, and so on, often notorious places to pick up a virus. I also don't use MSN or other IM's as they have led to breaches in my security in the past.

I've tried AVG and some others, but never liked them, as they ate up my free RAM, slowed my internet access, always had to be shut off when installing new software or, especially, playing games. A/V has caused more problems for me in the past than they've solved.

Of course, RAM is now less of an issue given I've 6MB. The thing I've always minded about A/V, AntiSpyware, and similar products is every one feels like its absolutely necessary to run in the background and bollux things up, eat my RAM, etc. Maybe it's a bit like locking the barn door after the horse has already been stolen, but I'd prefer an A/V that only runs when I tell it to, one I can run to check downloaded files.

I've almost come to the conclusion that A/V is a big scam if you've got a Firewall (and you are cautious in what you allow through it). That said, I might look into getting one that I can easily disable the background process it inevitably wants to run and use it to scan downloads.
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:39am
firewall does not catch viruses, or other things, it only controls the flow, if you didn't watch what you download and scanned it with an av, your chances of getting a virus/trojen/malware becomes higher.

btw run spysweeper and tell me if it finds anything, all anti spyware/adware are not the same, and adaware is not as good as SS, of course nothing replaces common sense, with lot of common sense you can stay clean with almost nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply