FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time to upgrade?

Post Date: 2019-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
21QZ View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 21QZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Time to upgrade?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 1:31pm
Hi Community,

Wanted to get your opinion to see if its time to upgrade some components. Here is my current config. from 2015-2016.

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII IMPACT (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (SupremeFX Impact, Sonic Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 600W SilverStone SX600-G (Gold Plus Rated)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 PRO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)

Ask questions please!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 2:13pm
Depends on whether or not this high end 2016 hardware is still meeting all of your needs.... it can obviously be beat by current tech.    You could easily add more DDR3 RAM or upgrade that 250 GB SATA III SSD to something in a 500 GB or 1 TB size if you need or want more space.

Current popular CPU like the I7-9700K and I9-9900K are 8-core.

RAM is very inexpensive now, but current spec is DDR4.   Still need only 16 GB for gaming.

The best new Motherboard feature of both current Z390 and X299 mobos is the addition of M.2 SSD storage Drive ports.   M.2 NVME SSD are 5X faster than SATA III, are the size of a pocket comb, and are available in size up to 2 GB.   They use the faster PCIE video bus, and install flat right on the mobo.

Your GTX Titan 12 GB GPU will still be quite powerful and can do smooth 4K gaming easily, but the new Titan RTX has 24GB, Ray Tracing, and recently NVidia added 10-Bit color panel support and special drivers to all RTX level video cards to provide support for the Adobe Creative product professional workspace that used to be reserved for the expensive NVidia Quadro Pro GPU’s.    

The 600 watt Gold Efficiency Silverstone PSU is considered undersized now, and any GPU upgrade would likely require you to upgrade the PSU to a model of 750 watts or better.   Platinum efficiency would offer better performance as well.     
21QZ View Drop Down

Quote 21QZ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 3:06pm
Thank you for your response!
How much would a PC like mine go on the market?
fair value.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 4:29pm
Lol...no idea my friend...but the Titan RTX GPU even now can go refurbished as low as $350 and new for as much as $1100-1200.   
 Post Reply Post Reply