FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing Information Re: 3080

Post Date: 2020-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dionysos28 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dionysos28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Timing Information Re: 3080
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:58am
I ordered my Aventum X with an RTX 3080 back on 9/17. I've been checking in weekly for information on timing, but have been told time and again that it's just really hard to source 3080's and no one can tell me when I'll get my computer.

I get that to some extent, but this is turning into a really unsatisfactory customer experience. I was prepared for 4-6 weeks until I had the computer in my home, but if there still isn't even a RTX 3080 at Digital Storm with my name on it (no one can confirm that's the case), and it'll be another 2ish weeks even when that happens before the new computer ships, we're talking in the range of 10-12 weeks easily before I have my computer. Could be longer.

My issue is this - DS took all the money upfront, assigned me hardware, and now it's all sitting collecting dust. 12 weeks is a lifetime in computer hardware, there's new AMD CPUs coming out, memory/RAM/hardware prices are all slowly coming down, and it doesn't seem right that I'm locked into a price and a system, fully paid, that no one can tell me when I'll receive and best case 2x what the "estimated" usual time to complete an Aventum X will be.

Sorry to take to the forums but I'm hoping to get the attention here of someone more senior to discuss what DS can do to make this right. I don't think we're in the realm of ordinary course experience to get a computer from design to build, we're into the extraordinary where I was sold something DS is now unable to source and locked me prematurely into hardware and pricing. Appreciate any chance to discuss further.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 9:46am
This forum is a user forum. There are three DS employees who make stops in and around these forums but it is not a daily occurance. We are mostly customers and soon-to-be customers with no insight into the daily workings.

Should you have an issue with your order I would suggest that you contact the man who generally gets things done at DS, Alex, at [email protected]. You can also reach the management time at [email protected].

As an aside, and anecdotally, it was known well before the actual release of the 30** series that there were going to be serious supply chain delays. The ongoing pandemic coupling with normal initial release problems have caused unpredictable and unprecedented further delays.

You have every right to feel the way you do. Talk to Alex and get answers and options. In my 6 years hanging around here he has always been a stand up guy where his customers are concerned.

Good luck.
Indigo2020 View Drop Down

Quote Indigo2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
Man I get it, it’s tough waiting for the anticipation and it’s tough when things don’t meet our expectations. But seriously, “ what DS can do to make this right”? They can’t magic you up a GPU, they’re also not going to jump you ahead of the people who pre-ordered the card instead of waiting till release day like you.

There is a supply shortage, we all knew this ahead of time. It was stressed by every retailer and NVidia themselves. A delay was not only expected, it was in the freaking press release. As for all the other parts just sitting in a wear house collecting dust? That’s on you, nobody put a gun to your head said you had to order now. You could have waited till supplies stabilized and ordered then, but you didn’t.

Man, I get you feeling frustrated and I can empathize with that, but thinking that DS has to make it up to you? The only thing they owe you is a product you selected, constructed with the care and level of professionalism they’re known for, within the physical and logistical limitations of this reality. You wanting anything beyond that screams of entitlement to me.

I’m sorry for bluntness of this reply. But as someone who worked in retail at one point in time that comment kind of triggered me and I had to get that off my chest. I hope you get your computer soon man, I really do and I hope you get to enjoy the crap of it. But just realize, they’re doing the best they can with what they got. I ordered my system right around when you did too, but all I can do is be patient, cause doing anything else is just going to cause me frustration and not even get me any closer to getting it.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:34pm
If you expect "hardware prices" to be coming down on the parts you ordered for your build, you are in for a long wait. Then you might be entitled to a price adjustment from DS.

I think all that have read your post understand your frustration and all of us hope you get your PC as soon as possible. As to when, you are in line for parts as everyone else is. If that is not satisfactory, you have the option to cancel your order I believe, if the actual build has not started.

Order from somewhere else and you will just start at the back of their line.

I waited two months for mine, but then I ordered right at the beginning of the new nVidia cards and lucky enough to nab one, however, I was still on hold for a Velox case as those are Digital Storms cases and they were waiting on another batch to come in.

Then, my PC was damaged during shipping, MB to be exact, so as soon as it arrived I had to get with Tech Support, troubleshoot and then go through the RMA process. All of which was out of DS's hands.

They handled it all with great professionalism and I am well pleased. So if you can, be patient, you will get a great PC in the end.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 09 Nov 2020 at 4:36pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:23am
Get with Alex, for real.

Indigo2020 and fdfwfireman, those are great responses IMHO. Tells it just like it is. We're all sorry it's like this, but there's no blame that attaches here.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 3:59am
+1
Dionysos28 View Drop Down

Quote Dionysos28 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Cretae

Get with Alex, for real.

Indigo2020 and fdfwfireman, those are great responses IMHO. Tells it just like it is. We're all sorry it's like this, but there's no blame that attaches here.

Have reached out to Alex, thanks for heads up above on the contact info.

Hope to some day have drank so much of the DS cool-aide that I also think taking all the money up front for a product that runs 3+ months late is just totally fine w/ me, but we'll have to get over this initial hump first.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:00am
I puked after drinking Kool-Aide in elementary school. Probably had a bad stomach that day as I had drank it before. But, ever since that day I never drank Kool-Aide again, and never according to your reference.

I hope Alex responded to your satisfaction.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Indigo2020 View Drop Down

Quote Indigo2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Dionysos28

Hope to some day have drank so much of the DS cool-aide that I also think taking all the money up front for a product that runs 3+ months late is just totally fine w/ me.

Paying for something custom up front and having to wait for it is applies to a lot of other things besides computers. Houses, vehicles, artwork, etc. Learning to be patient and not about it isn’t drinking the kool-aide, it’s called being an adult. Who knows maybe you will get there, until then maybe you should think about sticking with ready-to-ship products so you can get your stuff right away.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:39am
Okay girls, lets all just agree we hope this gets resolved soonest!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:51am
We can be civil or we can watch this thread get deleted.

Clear?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Dionysos28

Have reached out to Alex, thanks for heads up above on the contact info.

Hope to some day have drank so much of the DS cool-aide that I also think taking all the money up front for a product that runs 3+ months late is just totally fine w/ me, but we'll have to get over this initial hump first.

(Added emphasis)
Fair enough and once you get your system, chances are very good that you will, if not join the forum, at least recognize why we are here in support of other customers and for sure forget about the wait a year from now.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:28pm
Just replied to those emails. I'm sorry about the delays, we're just as annoyed with NVIDIA and their lack of supply. We're being told there is a large shipment coming in the next two weeks, that should get backlogs fulfilled by the end of the month if all goes well.
Ultimatemickey View Drop Down

Quote Ultimatemickey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Alex

Just replied to those emails. I'm sorry about the delays, we're just as annoyed with NVIDIA and their lack of supply. We're being told there is a large shipment coming in the next two weeks, that should get backlogs fulfilled by the end of the month if all goes well.

I understand that right now it's a difficult time during the pandemic resulting in many delays and also shortages for the new components that have been released and will be as well. Nothing that could be done about that of course. Although, I don't understand as to why the Founder Edition cards have still not been fulfilled for backlogs. Some people had ordered during the same month of the release in September and are still waiting. Also for those who also ordered in the beginning week of October are still waiting. If the cards couldn't be fulfilled and this was known to happen then why where the 3080 Founders cards an option for the builds? Just saying, people ordered the card including myself for the build because of the connection between DS and Nvidia having a good relation, making it possible to get enough of these cards to fufill the orders. I've also talked to many people from support on the phone saying the 3080 cards have been coming in every week but what kind of cards are we talking EVGA,ASUS,MSI? I didn't see these options available when picking the parts for the build. Also if I wanted to change the card to any other brand then I would be put in Queue of the line for that type of card which would only reset the process which leaves no choice but to wait. I don't mind waiting but more than 2 months is a lot specially for just a card and not a super high end PC with much more components which waiting for that long for the PC Id understand. Just trying to understand and figure out why this is, thats all. 🤔

Edited by Ultimatemickey - 13 Nov 2020 at 12:47am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm
There's just not enough cards coming in per week to meet the backlog, we are a close partner of NVIDIA's but that doesn't unfoundedly mean we can take all of the limited supply, they have to share it with others.

This isn't easy for us either honestly, we would love to get our customers PCs ASAP, we are working diligently every week to ask for additional support.

Hang in there, it will be worth it, you're in a much better position since you're in the queue already.
 Post Reply Post Reply