FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

too much?

Post Date: 2023-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tekla View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tekla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: too much?
    Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 10:01pm
Budget:
~4500 (a bit more is okay,less is also fine)

Expectations:
Current DS desktop is around 8 years old (windows 8 lol). I want a build that will last for about 5 years. I can upgrade components if needed in that time but would rather have a solid machine that can keep up with games. So, maybe more than I need now in terms of power, graphics, etc, but that will work long term.

Usage:
Steam will stop running on windows 8.1 in 96 days! I need to upgrade so I don't lose the ability to play low end games. And I want to be able to play Starfield, BG3, Cyberpunk and more. I play for fun, not hardcore. I do enjoy mods. I don't need top of the line but for the longevity. I don't mind paying so it will last.

Special Needs:
I'm not a tech nerd. I want advice on if this build is overkill or okay or needs better components. My son says it's too much for what I do lol. Advice on a monitor would be good as well. Also, how noisy is this going to be?

Saved Ticket #:Configuration Code: 4762423

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-13900K (5.7 GHz Turbo) (32-Thread) (24-Core) 3.0 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4090 24GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Technology
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks

Thank you so much for any advice!

Edited by tekla - 26 Sep 2023 at 10:04pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:58am
This is just a question that has nothing to do with your new build... The Smart Guys® will come around with that stuff.

Why are you still running Win8? My DS machine is 10 years old and I've been on Win10 since just after launch and Steam has never given me a problem. This is one of the lower end DS models as well (with some added upgrades, of course).

Is Steam going straight to Win11? Should I be worried?
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Snaike

This is just a question that has nothing to do with your new build... The Smart Guys® will come around with that stuff.

Why are you still running Win8? My DS machine is 10 years old and I've been on Win10 since just after launch and Steam has never given me a problem. This is one of the lower end DS models as well (with some added upgrades, of course).

I found the following:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

This change is required as core features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

Although support won't end until 2024, we strongly encourage all Windows 7/8/8.1 users to update sooner rather than later. Microsoft ended security updates and technical support for Windows 7 in January 2020 and for Windows 8.1 in January 2023. Computers running these operating systems, when connected to the internet, are susceptible to new malware and other exploits which will not be patched. That malware can cause your PC, Steam and games to perform poorly or crash. That malware can also be used to steal the credentials for your Steam account or other services.

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 10:14am
@tekla I can say right off the bat I see nothing that suggests the 13900k is worth it for you. What resolution do you game at? You mentioned wanting a new monitor, are you thinking 1080p, 1440p, 4K, etc. for gaming?

@Snaike If you're on Windows 10 then Steam is going to be fully supported for quite some time yet, nothing to worry about.
tekla View Drop Down

Quote tekla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Snaike

That's what my machine came with. I think Windows 10 was released right after I purchased. I never got around to updating to 10.

It's only Win8 that will no longer be supported. You're fine
tekla View Drop Down

Quote tekla Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

@tekla I can say right off the bat I see nothing that suggests the 13900k is worth it for you. What resolution do you game at? You mentioned wanting a new monitor, are you thinking 1080p, 1440p, 4K, etc. for gaming?
@Snaike If you're on Windows 10 then Steam is going to be fully supported for quite some time yet, nothing to worry about.

Not 4K. Way too pricey and probably wasted on me. I'm not sure how big of a different between 1080 vs 1440. I would say frame rate is more important to me. Sorry ,I'm definitely tech challenged.

Thoughts on the RTX 4090 being too much? I could go 4080 or 4070.

I was thinking the 13900k was too much. I think it also runs very hot?

Do I really need liquid cooling?

Thank you! I'm going to work on a new config with the advice you shared.

Thoughts on this one? I went down to the 13700kf, rtx 4080, lowered the PSU to 850W and changed the cooling to Noctua NH-D15

Configuration Code: 4763360
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.4 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.4 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B760M-A AX D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel B760) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4080 16GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (Extreme Performance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Technology
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)

Edited by tekla - 27 Sep 2023 at 3:18pm
NubbyShober View Drop Down

Quote NubbyShober Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 3:17pm
Coupla' thoughts:

1) 4TB SSD is prolly your best bet, if you want to install many games--or just a few modded ones. My new Velox delivered last month (7950X3D + RTX4070ti) is already 33% full from just Skyrim, FO4 and 2 other smaller games. My regret is not adding another 2TB SSD just for mod downloads.

2) My last DS Velox lasted 3 years of very heavy pandemic playing. Mobo died--as was the case with my DS rig before that. In both cases I'd splurged for better--but not best--quality mobo's. But they both began to gradually overheat, overwhelming the cooling system. Bottom line: get the best mobo available; and don't stint on cooling or cooling fans--like 3 x 5" fans on case top.

3) 64GB RAM is becoming the new standard for games like Starfield--or even heavily modded older ones like Skyrim or FO4.
"Get out of it before you get into it"
-Frank Zappa
 Post Reply Post Reply