Post Date: 2013-03-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: True 5.1 headset recommendations
    Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 3:52am
I have been researching 7.1 headsets and found a true 7.1 headset made by razer,however most games and movies do not natively support 7.1,so am wanting a good quality true 5.1 headset.I spend allot of time using headsets,listening to music,watching movies,playing fps games,and mostly listening to music while modeling or sculpting with modo,zbrush,blender,so they need to be durable and comfortable.I know everybody has different size heads and is difficult reccomending something without knowing these thins but I use a turtle beach px21 and its comfortable,just not surround sound.And I prefer true surround sound.

Since its about time for a new headset I was wandering if anybody has opinions on this product.      

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Sirus-Surround-SGH-6000-KK5R1/dp/B005HO1ULM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2VYKQQXH37BD2&coliid=I3KEEF8D8SFRUE

I had a first generation cm storm sentinel mouse and had no luck getting to work with windows7 even though it said win7 compatible and it was made around the same time as this headset,reviews seem good on this but want some reccomendations before I jump the gun as I will be using them all the time as not to desturb others in the house.As I am doing online traing for cg I spend allot of time modeling,texturing,sculpting in addition to gaming so allot of times I'm wearing them about 10hrs a day on my days off since I'm spending that time doing courses and my own projects,I also wear glasses so comfort is a must,I don't care about aesthetics as much as quality and comfort.

Edit:Not sure if this should be in general discussion forums,sorry if this is the wrong place

Edited by hallowed - 04 Mar 2013 at 5:41am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:22pm
I'm no expert, I know in the old days people liked razer, so did you check out this one?

again keep in mind I'm no expert in sound at all.
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 12:36pm
Nice find,they are not natively pc compatible and require an adapter,gotta check some reviews as wireless headphones tend to be venerable to interference.Will check more on them when I get home,thanks.

Oh,a mic is not a requirement as I don't use them,don't need a headset that doesn't have a mic,but I don't necessarily need a mic ether.

Edited by hallowed - 04 Mar 2013 at 12:40pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:18pm
Turtle Beach Ear Force DP11 Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset???
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Turtle Beach Ear Force DP11 Dolby Surround Sound Gaming Headset???

Those are emulated surround sound,I read some reviews on the razer headset mentioned above and there seem to be issues with humming noises as they are wireless,which I would prefer wireless,but sound quality is rather important given the amount of time I will use them,along with comfort,I haven't found many downsides to the cm storm sirus I listed above,so am now torn between those and Sharkoon X-Tactic true 5.1 Dolby digital.They both seem to be great for all my needs,music,movies,and gaming.What is making me lean towards the Sharkoon at the moment is how light yet sturdy the reviews say they are,but I am a big fan of the cm storm line of products though,and the price and quality seem to be excellent,they have just recently dropped in price and I'm not sure if they will stay at that price or if it is a temporary sale.If its a permanent price reduction,they might be releasing an updated version or new product in the near future.

Thanks for the suggestions,I think I'm set on the cm storm or the Sharkoon headsets after reading reviews from customers on various headsets,these seem to be more fitting for me as for true 5.1 and not emulated headsets.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:51pm
Are you using windows xp or vista? Because those are the two pc platforms that you have to have if you decide to buy the Sharktoon one.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:53pm
Oh really?Thanks for the heads up,I use win7

Oh yeah I guess missed that when reading the specs,the cm storm sirus are win7 compatible,I would think that there would be a newer driver for the Sharkoon to be win7 compatible but after the original cm storm sentinel mouse win7 compatibility issues I don't think I will risk it.Thanks for bringing that up,don't know how I missed it.

Edited by hallowed - 04 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:46am
Where does it say xp or vista? win7 is basically vista, so if it works on vista it should work on win7.
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:51am
Should,but I had issues with the original sentinel mouse that was xp and vista compatible,I wasn't the only one either,couldn't get it to work on win7,the mouse is the only vista compatible device I could not get to work with 7.Driver issues,instead of making proper driver they made a new sentinel mouse for compatibility.

Edited by hallowed - 05 Mar 2013 at 1:52am
My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/haIIowed1
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 2:01am
Did you install the drivers under xp compatibility mode?
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 2:11am
Yes,cm support confirmed that the mouse had issues with 7,that's why they made a new version.

There was allot of customers with the issue and their forums and support line was very busy,no solution was ever found by anyone as far as I know.There was a few people that got it working with 7 with the disk provided and not in comparability mode,I don't have it anymore,use a wireless Logitech.
My youtube channel

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Where does it say xp or vista? win7 is basically vista, so if it works on vista it should work on win7.

Sharkoon X-Tatic True 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Gaming Headset

Platform: Windows Vista / XP, PlayStation, PlayStation2, Xbox, Not Machine Specific, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Brandon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 11:23am
@ArkansasWoman777 you should really try Astro A40's I promise you just try them for 10 mins they are on a whole different level. I am no expert when it comes to know everything PC from software to hardware, but when it comes to sound, that....is...ME! I build custom movie theaters in peoples homes, and the people I work with do not settle for good enough, they always want the best of the best for sound and visual quality. I know headphones like the back of my hand, skip the reviews and try the A40's, there is no other competition.

Edited by Brandon - 05 Mar 2013 at 11:28am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 11:58am
Thanks Brandon but i was just showing DST4ME where it said Xp and Vista for the Sharktoon's. I'll probably look into the Astro A40's a little later on
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:11pm
The a40's are the official headset for mlg I think.They are great for gaming,but they are beyond my budget so dismissed them.$170.00 is the budget I'm putting towards a headset,have,have keyboard,and mouse to get as well.

I'm sure the Sharkoon's have a newer driver that would allow them to be win7 compatible,as some of the reviews customers are using them with win7,could be compatibility mode.
My youtube channel

Brandon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:16pm
Ok np, @hallowed they are now 149.99 without the mixamp, mixamp is a nice addition but the headphones alone is where its at. http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-headset-astro-edition

Yes they are the official MLG headsets

Edited by Brandon - 05 Mar 2013 at 12:17pm
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:26pm
Oh nice find.I am also adding another 670 for sli on my own when I get my pc from DS.I have some gift cards I'm using to add things I need so was mainly searching amazon,tigerdirect.
My youtube channel

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by hallowed

The a40's are the official headset for mlg I think.They are great for gaming,but they are beyond my budget so dismissed them.$170.00 is the budget I'm putting towards a headset,have,have keyboard,and mouse to get as well.

I'm sure the Sharkoon's have a newer driver that would allow them to be win7 compatible,as some of the reviews customers are using them with win7,could be compatibility mode.

If you are looking for a good solid keyboard i recommend getting one from Max Keyboard.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:39pm
Ok will check them,never heard of them.

I was leaning towards a mechanical corsair.
My youtube channel

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by hallowed

Ok will check them,never heard of them.

I was leaning towards a mechanical corsair.

Well before i bought it i never heard of max keyboard before until i saw a few youtube videos of people reviewing the keyboard. After that i looked them up on facebook and decided to buy it and i absolutely love it. My first mechanical keyboard as well. They are fully mechanical and backlit. Depending on the the keyboard you can choose between blue, white, green, purple or orange. I chose the one that had the red backlit it was the Max Keyboard Durandal G1NL Red Backlit Keyboard. You can even customize the backlit of the keyboard to your liking if you choose to do so.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 05 Mar 2013 at 12:50pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 12:55pm
Cool,thanks for the info
My youtube channel

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:00pm

Platform: Windows Vista / XP, PlayStation, PlayStation2, Xbox, Not Machine Specific, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Thx AW777, kept missing that lol
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:11pm

Thx AW777, kept missing that lol

"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:20pm
Instead of starting a new thread,I have been contemplating waiting on a monitor until the dell u3014 is available,I tend to like the 16:10 aspect ratio,but just found a dell 29inch ultra wide 2560x1980 monitor,same as having dual monitors basically.

For productivity I would benefit greatly from dual monitors,but would rather just have one large monitor,I read some reviews where games don't like that resolution though,as I will be gaming also.Some games play at that res,some don't,I don't like the picture quality when gaming on a monitor and scaling the res below the monitors native res,does anybody have any experience with an ultra wide monitor?Or any info when the u3014 will arrive?

I tried googling,but found no availability results.For now I am using an hpzrw 24"(16:10)ips monitor,and love it,great picture quality,colors,no ghosting.But makes having multiple apps in window mode so I can easily switch between them to small.

If I have both Modo on half the screen and photo shop on the other half,I can see them but would like them to be larger, switching between them in fullscreen is what i do now,just have what I am not using in the background and Alt+tab to the other and back,ect.

Its not much of a hassle,but if I have reference images in the view port and another reference image I check for different angles on half the screen I lose more screen realistate than I would like,something dual monitor setup would benefit from,but I really don't want multiple monitors,extra cables and takes more space than one large monitor,for now I found a decent solution using infranview so I can have a reference image and modo,blender,zbrush in full screen and the reference image I don't need all the time in infranview,and it does not go into the background,stays on top of the app I am using at the time,but is still a bit cumbersome.

Still usable solutions if the dell u3014 has an availability date,I can wait,or if the ultra wide 29" is a good option.The reviews that say the games they can't play on it do not specify if they are using the dvi-d cable or the dvi-I.I'm betting they are not using the dual link as I have seen the games they listed on dual monitors which would be the same res,but they are not answering if they are using the proper cable,so not taking a chance.

If it works with games with the proper cable I think it would be more beneficial for productivity reasons also,and its led which I like.

product name for the ultra wide

Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29-inch Ultra Wide Monitor(opinions)

or wait for the u3014?
My youtube channel

Brandon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:22pm
I have heard nothing but good things about U2913WM 29-inch Ultra Wide, I will be getting 2 of them here in a month.
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:28pm
I read great things about using them for productivity,but mixed for gaming.It would be better to be able to see the monitors in person,but I live in the boonies so not an option lol.Do you have any links that has discussions using them for gaming,google is just giving specs lists and productivity articles(which all seem to be good for those purposes)
My youtube channel

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 3:55pm
The 29" ultra-wide is very nice, unfortunately its a class 2 lag which means for high-end FSP games it will not do as well as the u3014 which just like the u2413 is a class 1 lag and great for any kind of gaming.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Mar 2013 at 3:55pm
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:01pm
I mainly play fps

Checking your sig,do you do any folding at home by chance?

Does sli benefit for that or is it mainly cpu dependent?

thinking of doing some folding myself but don't knw where to start,if I remember right,evga forums has a link for a client to install,gotta find it.

If you do how well do you think a 3770k and 670-sli would do?Six core was not an option.
My youtube channel

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:06pm
Yes I fold a lot, I'm folder number 453 in users and my team is number 249 in teams.

Download and run this client

that has both cpu and gpu clients make sure you watch your temps with:

HWMonitor

IF you want to join my team then this is our team number: 37165 put it inside the client.

Once on the my team (Team KLT(Kool Lite Tools)) you can check team/personal stats here:

KLT Team stats

once there you can see the team stats, towards the bottom you will see the user name you made up and by clicking that you can see your own stats.

Folding can use both cpu and gpu/s

in my case the smp runs my 6 core and the gpu runs all my gpus.

I think you should do pretty well with the cpu and gpus.

For fps games you gonna want a class 1 lag monitor.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Mar 2013 at 4:35pm
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:13pm
Thanks

Bookmarking the page and will download the client and join the team when my pc arrives,just got stage6.

I would be worried about temps trying it now with my laptop,core i7(quad) and 675m can get in the 75-80c range just playing farcry3,with a cooling pad under it.
My youtube channel

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:32pm
Its gonna warm up the laptop real quick, shut fah down if you get above 85c.
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm
yeah I'm not gonna attempt it with the laptop,I'm just gonna wait for my pc,I never heard of class 1 or 2 lag until now so thanks,been checking some footage of the ultra wide and not all games natviely support 21:9,but games that support surround and eyeinfinity do.

Theoretically the res could be forced in the games config.files I would think but I'm just waiting for the u3014,hoping it will be priced similarly to the u3011,I'm sure it will be a bit more,but not gonna bother if its $2k.The u3011 price should drop when the u3014 is available though,making it seem like a really good option.The only reason I'm not jumping on it now is the u3014 around the corner,even if its beyond my price range,I would feel odd if I got the 3011 now and the price drops in a month or so.

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds,a double wide monitor for productivity and class1 lag,the only other ultra wide monitor at that res I found was an lg,don't know what class it is.

My youtube channel

Brandon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 6:12pm
According to Dell the U3014 is "coming soon" with a price tag of $1,499. That's a standard price for a monitor this size, but with the recent trend of affordable 27-inch WQHD (2,560x1,440) monitors, the appeal of 30-inchers is beginning to wane. Check back to CNET for updates on a release date and other details. -- to me I would take 3 of those Asus monitors for the price of that Dell IMHO
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:12am
I just don't care for the 27", its 30" for bust for me

BTW the Asus monitors are not as good as their dell counter part. I think they are class 2 lag also.

As Branson mentioned the price is gonna be around 1399/1499 and in a few months there is gonna be coupon or sale or something.

Below is the u3014 you can look at its specs(click on image) and etc, as I mentioned it just like the u2413 but bigger, also its in the UA so don't have a heart attack when you see the price:

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Mar 2013 at 12:19am
hallowed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hallowed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 12:25am
Yeah same,how much better do games actually look on a 30"?

I checked some gameplay footage of the ultra wide,the person was playing BF3,and I didn't notice any input lag, but I'm not sure how to detect it.I mainly play single player games,once in a great while I will play some bf3 mp,but mostly I just play the campaign in that as well.

The only mp game I play quite a bit is blacklight retribution.I read a review about the response time on the ultra wide after thinking I was going to get it,but it said 25ms response time,the specs at dell's page says 8ms.I have been using my laptop allot lately that's 120hz and now thinking back to my hp I sometimes notice the mouse skipped and was the only main issue I had with the monitor,don't have that at all on the laptop,so I'm guessing that is what input lag is.

Is there a big difference at 2560x1600 in image quality compared to the 24"?I know there are quite a few more pixels but do games actually look allot better,my system will run games at that res no problem except may crysis3,and far cry3,When I do game it's mostly fallout 3,original crysis,and blacklight for the most part,I play a bunch of other games as well,but those are the ones I can't stop playing.
My youtube channel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>