FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Post Date: 2021-12-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bobaz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bobaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
    Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:27pm
Hi,

I had to look into the option "Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking" to see what it was, & now I understand it's function.  For those who use it, do prefer that to a straight over clock?  Thanks

Edited by bobaz - 09 Dec 2021 at 5:28pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 4:29am
Those who use it are everyone that has an enabled processor. That's what's automatic about it.

In gaming, CPU use tops out around 4 cores in a few games but will run on less. That's so that games will run on older equipment. The majority of games are run on 2 cores with most of the load on Core 1. In that environment, overclocking the whole proc to run hot all the time makes little sense. Especially when it will "autoturbo" to higher speeds when the load requires it.

Overclocking makes sense in a modern CPU when a user has a heavy daily workload that uses all the cores it can get like photo/video editing or modeling/rendering. If you are routinely using all cores/threads, it makes sense they run fast.

Overclocking first became fashionable when computers were much less capable and struggled to keep up with software advances. There was no auto boost available with those chips. These days, the CPUs have gotten way out in front of the curve in amazing performance. We have i5 procs more powerful today than an i9 from a couple of years ago.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-12600K/4071vs4120

They also turbo faster at stock than the old hoped-for overclock target.   
bobaz View Drop Down

Quote bobaz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 7:33am
Thanks for your for opinion.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:07am
My pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply