Post Date: 2008-08-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
workingman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: turbo mode for core i7
    Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 11:58am
quite an interesting read..do your own overclocking..at your own risk..but it will give you suggested speeds too i guess http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/everything_you_need_know_about_nehalems_turbo_mode
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:06pm
Workingman, I found this article on Nehalem and what it will mean for different users. I know you are anxiously awaiting the release of Nehelam, I hope you find it of interest. There is also this webcast if you have not seen it yet.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 22 Aug 2008 at 12:11pm

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:17pm
did a quick scan of the article..thanks for posting it..it hasnt changed my mind..i still want it..

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:19pm
cant watch the podcast at work will do so when i get home..and thanks again

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by workingman

did a quick scan of the article..thanks for posting it..it hasnt changed my mind..i still want it..
I would hope so. The article indicated that while overall performance for gaming platforms is unlikely to increase by much, the power consumption should be considerably less. I see no reason why reading that would change your mind. Wink 

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:32pm
well i game a lot..but i do other things..so the non improvement as far as gaming goes..is ok with me..Smile

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:38pm
Here's a preview of an Asus X58 motherboard as well, to give you an idea of how some of the new technology will be implimented. The details are a bit scarce, but it's the first mention I have seen of the new Intel chipset that includes any sort of detail or close up pictures. 

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 12:52pm
wow tyler ..thanks so muchSmile will check it all out when i get home...wish i wasnt so busy today ...lmao..just time to check on hm's pkg and the boards occasionally
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 3:15pm
Bring it out soon, so the quad cores will plummet in price!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 7:40pm
Well I'm a power user and that article makes me want it even more. You think workingman is waiting for Nehalem?

When Skulltrail came out, I didn't get it because I was waiting for Nehalem dual processor system, that should tell you how much and long I have been waiting for it
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:03am
The only thing that seems really confusing is the mixed results on i7's tri-channel memory. It's seems to act more like a hybrid dual-channel than 3 channels, but it's all a bit confusing to me. It sounds like i7 core will have a lot of applications similar to what skulltrail can do.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Well I'm a power user and that article makes me want it even more. You think workingman is waiting for Nehalem?

When Skulltrail came out, I didn't get it because I was waiting for Nehalem dual processor system, that should tell you how much and long I have been waiting for it

I think I could actually hear the chip screaming "Buy me DST4ME, BUY ME!!!!", as I read that article. LOL

It seems almost custom made for you.Wink

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 23 Aug 2008 at 12:32am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Tyler Lowe

I think I could actually hear the chip screaming "Buy me DST4ME, BUY ME!!!!", as I read that article. LOL

well I'm just glad to find out that I'm not the only one hearing them calling me

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 9:12am
oh yes i am waiting for this...yes i think it will be just what im looking for...that and my gas sucking suv will be paid off so i can buy a kick ass rig..lmao....sometimes good things just seem to fall into placeWink

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 9:13am
oh tyler thanks for the posts...i had a hard time cleaning off my mouth from all the drool..omg..lmao thanks my friendWink

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:28am
No problem. Glad you enjoyed those.Smile
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 3:52am
I've been thinking about how reviews seem confused regarding performance on the tri-channel memory when they go from two to 3 channels. My thoughts are that they are using matched pairs of memory like what dual-channel uses... but they don't have matched trios to test with so it's like having dual-channel and one unmatched stick. Anyone else think this is the current problem? If so, once someone produces matched trio channel sets, the performance boost will be even greater than what it looks like it is now.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 11:25am
The becnhmarks I have seen were run with 3x DDR3 1GB sticks @ 1066MHz in 3 channel mode. The limitations on performane probably had more to do with the motherboard being pre-production than anything else. Even so, the Nehelam Tylersburg shows a potential for 3 times the memory bandwidth of the Penryn QX9770. Not that all applications need even as much memory bandwidth as we see with DDR2 @ 800MHz. There are limitations, definitely, and we are still looking over engineering samples, but I think the numbers are more or less in line with what we can expect. In the end, I do expect gaming benchmarks to at least gain parity with the Penryn clock for clock if not see mild improvement. I put that down, once again, to the motherboard used.

Benchmarks:

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 25 Aug 2008 at 11:26am
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 10:33pm
.... Holy cow.  -starts from the first page-  Ok first of all.... stock multiplier of 22x?!  WOW.  (Which hardware site do you go to daily?  I go to Guru3D, Tomshardware, Techpowerup and TigerTV for video reviews ahah)

And.... it can reach 30 multiplier?!  Err why are the multipliers so big?  (Still a complete newbie when it comes to computer mechanics so bear with me ahaha)  Does it have to do with the fact there's *actual* four threads this time

(and why does it say 8?  Is this like the scenario with Core2Duo/Extreme where it was basically two something cores slapped together and they made virtual threads or something to make the illusion of a total of 4 threads?)

Still if the multipliers are this big, I presume the FSB is low then ahah. (which thanks to that Overclocking FAQ states that it's better to increase the multiplier than the FSB, since FSB produces more heat and voltage requirement ahah)

I have to go somewhere at the time of this post soo I'll just leave with this.  (I'll try finishing up all those reviews posted after I get back ahaha)

That is one sick looking board from Asus :V  I think I'm officially an Asus buyer for all mother board needs lol.  Wonder what the Republic of Gamer version gonna be like ahaha.  If things look this good (and this Nehalm i7 processor economically SOUNDS good too)  Maybe I should switch to that when I start ordering around October earliest lol.

On a final note also...  The fact that there's 6 DIMM slots ala Tri-channel memory thignie, going back at your explanation about the necessity of 64-bit Tyler.  Does this mean that it's almost a necessity, or have no choice but to use 64-bit to run a mobo like that huh?

Edited by Axel Daemon - 25 Aug 2008 at 10:34pm
"People believe in people who believe in others."
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 11:32pm
Nehalem will be a native quad or octo die.

Hyperthreading was introduced back in the Pentium 4 era. It made your CPU think that there was a twin of himself. So an octo (eight) core would have 8 threads.

The Intel Core 2 line up does not have hyperthreading but you are correct by saying they are not native quad cores.

There's no more Front Side Bus since the memory controller is now on the CPU.

Nehalem will not just come with triple channel memory. There will also be duo and quad channel.

The reference clock will be 133mhz on most if not all models. They will probably just be changing the multiplier.

133mhz * 22 = 3ghz
133mhz * 18 = 2.4ghz

Nehalem is going to be very confusing since there is going to be 2 desktop sockets (1366 & 1160) -_-

The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
 Post Reply Post Reply