Tweak Indexing Options for More Performance Vista

Post Date: 2007-10-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Robert View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Tweak Indexing Options for More Performance Vista
    Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 7:19pm

The indexing service in Windows Vista is responsible for making those search boxes all over the operating system lightening fast. By default Windows automatically indexes all files in your user profile folders, start menu and any files you have setup for offline access. If you have a lot of files in these locations and the files change often you can be putting a heavy load on the indexing service.  For maximum performance when using Windows Vista I recommend disabling indexing for all other locations other than the Start Menu.  This will lessen the background work that Windows Vista has to do.  It will also slow down your searches of other locations but that is the price you must pay for this performance benefit.

Follow these steps to tweak the indexing locations:

1. Click on the Start Button and key in Indexing Options and hit Enter. Indexing Options will now load. 

2. Hit the Modify button.
  3. Next, click on Show all locations.
  4. Scroll through the tree-view and uncheck any folders you do not want to be indexed.  When you are finished, click OK.
  5. If you want to change advanced indexing settings such as what file types are indexed click on the Advanced button. Otherwise hit Close.
Credit goes to Tweakvista.com
AIM - Robert4014990
<br />MSN - [email protected]
<br />Yahoo - [email protected]
Robert View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2007 at 7:44pm
If I was running Vista, I'd disable it all together since I'm the type of person that gets every single inch of performance possible out of an OS.
AIM - Robert4014990
<br />MSN - [email protected]
<br />Yahoo - [email protected]
StevieBoy88 View Drop Down

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:38pm
sorry but what does it mean to indexed something on computer?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:45pm
In a very general way, its just your OS keeping a list of all files and their locations. imagine a list that is constantly updated minute by minute.

now if you have a lot of files this can take some effort, however with the current systems being so powerful, disabling these types of things will make no real difference in your system speed.

I mean if your quad core say q9450 with 4GB of ram is getting slowed by a indexing service, then there is something wrong with your system, cause indexing is nothing comparing to heavy games and apps

All this disabling unneeded services and such came-out when people had 512MB of ram or 1GB of ram and single core p4 2.4GHz or 3.4GHz.

test your OSes, run any test on your system, then disable this service and run a test again, if you got a quad core and more then 2GB of ram, you will not see any difference what so ever.

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Nov 2008 at 4:49pm
StevieBoy88 View Drop Down

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:00pm
what kind of program would you recomment for running test on my computer?? i just downloaded pcmarkvantage trial edition...would that be good enough or should i upgrade it or get like 3dmarkvantage?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:16pm
Any test you like, it won't make a difference in any of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply