FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Two Cards in Three Slot Configuration

Post Date: 2017-03-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nirvash1994 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nirvash1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Two Cards in Three Slot Configuration
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 1:35pm
Hey everyone.

Long story short, I've been planning on purchasing a computer here for years now, and the time has come! Almost, anyway. I pretty much have everything finalized, but I do have a question about the motherboard, specifically how SLI would work on it.

The motherboard in question is the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula (Z270 chipset). Configuration code is 1626259.

I plan on running the graphics cards on air cooling, and read that having two cards in a three slot configuration is optimal for better airflow and what not. However, by the looks of this motherboard, it appears to skip a PCI-E lane, doesn't it? It appears as if the two cards would occupy the first and third lane, because I don't see a second PCI-E lane where there would be one.

If this is the case, when I pull the trigger on this purchase, would the two cards have that lane skip between them? If so, then I apologize in advance for wasting time, but I just want to make sure everything is ideal.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:17pm
That mobo has 3x Pciex16 slots.   The top two run at x16 for single or x8x8 in sli.   Video cards are 2 slot wide, so there would be a small space between them.    The botton x16 slot is only wired x4 and does share bandwidth with another slot, plus it goes through the PCH, not from the CPU. Sli would occupy the top 2, closed to the CPU.   

The x16 and x8 is the number of pcie lanes that connect to the CPU to carry data.

Basically, sli on that mobo is pretty typical of most motherboards.     

Hope this helps.

Re-reading your post....Each card needs 2 slots of space but only a single slot to plug into.     For sli, you don't need another slot between the top 2 x16 slots.   

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Mar 2017 at 2:28pm
Nirvash1994 View Drop Down

Quote Nirvash1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:24pm
Thanks for the help

But yeah, it's just that the mobo threw me off because I was looking at X99 mobo's before finding the Z270, so only seeing three lanes instead of four threw me for a loop. Then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable PC guy (most of what I know came from google [:N: )
 Post Reply Post Reply