Post Date: 2009-10-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
magex47 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote magex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Unclocking the CPU
    Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:25pm
If I buy the i7 - Extreme 1 (which is pre-overclocked to 3.3 GHz) and decide to underclock it back down to the stock 2.66 or lower will this void the 3 year warranty?
I just think the 3.3 GHz is too high and I really want the processor to last a long time and I don't wanna deal with all those liquid cooling wires and crap
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 9:30pm

It will not void the warranty, but at 3.3Ghz the chip has a life expectancy of over 18 years.... it will be obsolete in less than 8  years, so I don't see any problems. Even at 4.0Ghz they  will last over 10 years, assuming the V core is not out of line, and the temps are good.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 1:37am
Originally posted by justin.kerr

It will not void the warranty, but at 3.3Ghz the chip has a life expectancy of over 18 years.... it will be obsolete in less than 8  years, so I don't see any problems. Even at 4.0Ghz they  will last over 10 years, assuming the V core is not out of line, and the temps are good.

QFTW, don't people that don't know anything scare you, you are just fine with your oc.

also extreme 1 as the asetek as liquid cooling, which is not the same as frostbite, and there is nothing for you to mess with in asetek.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Oct 2009 at 1:39am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by harleyman

You don't need water cooling for any OC .......

Come on now, we have been over this many times.. Air has its limits, just like water, chilled water, phase change, LN2... they all have their limits. Some RAM, like elpida hyper, scale very well with cold, same with GPU's.

The colder the component the higher the stable overclock, to a limit of course, some parts won't scale higher after sub zero, some continue to scale to extreme sub zero temps.
Like I said before, you show me an i7 at 4.6Ghz+ HT on, with 75F+ ambientt temps running Linx stable, and under Intels max temp ratings, and I will shutup. Embarrassed
magex47 View Drop Down

Quote magex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:21pm

That mild OC will NOT effect the CPU, and if you bought it for gaming, you better keep the OC..You will need it on most games to run well....

whoa! 3.3 is mild for you? :P I thought 3.3 Ghz was pushing the limits a bit. 4.0 GHz was like the max I'd ever set a cpu clock at 0_o You guys are 2Xtreme LOL
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by magex47

That mild OC will NOT effect the CPU, and if you bought it for gaming, you better keep the OC..You will need it on most games to run well....

whoa! 3.3 is mild for you? :P I thought 3.3 Ghz was pushing the limits a bit. 4.0 GHz was like the max I'd ever set a cpu clock at 0_o You guys are 2Xtreme LOL

lol.  4GHz is minimum for me, anything more is a bonus.
 Post Reply Post Reply