Universe Sandbox Simulator

Post Date: 2022-02-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Universe Sandbox Simulator
    Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:34pm
This software simulation program uses accurate physics formulas to simulate the universe. I am quite impressed with its capabilities to learn about science & astronomy!

I like that it allows you see the solar system in real time and see where everything is at the moment.

It also allows you to add & delete or modify anything to see what happens. Remove the sun and see the planets scatter or remove the moon and see what happens. Maybe stick a small black hole out by Jupiter and see how it deals with that.

I ran the Tutorial on it and captured it with Geforce Experience. I have it up on my YouTube channel "Ken Wigger". I have been trying to put up some gameplay & benchmarks since I got my new Digital Storm computer a couple months ago.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:25pm
I'll be sure to check out the youtube as I am quite the space fan, too.

If you haven't already there are two space programs I run that I'd like to mention. One is Space Engine. It is, as you say above, a universal simulation that is quite impressive.

And two, my all time favorite game with the most hours (2000 and counting, IIRC) is Elite:Dangerous. The entire game takes place in a 1:1 representation of our Galaxy. (and yes, you can even find the Voyager missions)

Keep looking up!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:45pm
Snaike,
I will check those two space programs that you mentioned. I have played with gravity simulators before but this new program is visually impressive. I like how it can run in real time mode and show where everything is anytime you want to check.

I had a Celestron 8" telescope years ago. It was so much trouble dragging in and out of the house I got rid of it. I would love to have a nice telescope outside in a secure building where it could stay. My area has an issue with lots of lights everywhere in the neighborhood so serious research would be out of the question.

I have a National Geographic IR Night Vision device that will show stars like you won't believe just everywhere in the sky. Some of my friends are into CCD telescope photography but I just like seeing the pretty pictures.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 4:45pm
Watched your Universe Sandbox .... loved putting Rigel in the solar system. Results were predictable and hilarious. Also they need to change the title from "If" Andromeda and the Milky Way galaxies collide to "when" the galaxies collide. It is calculated that will happen in 5 billion years.

All in all, a very interesting and worthwhile program for space fans. Thank you for mentioning it and letting me take a look!

Also, I watched your Forza Colossus race. Nice first place finish. Although with your abuse of the track walls ( ) you should take a look at Wreckfest for racing. One of my all time favorite racers. (There's also Rocket League if you're wanting to play a bit of football/soccer in cars!)

Keep up the channel. Good stuff there!   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:29pm
Snaike,

Thanks for the kind words and visiting my YouTube channel.

By the way, Universe Sandbox is on sale at Epic Games for $20.09 till 10AM 2/10/22. I also had a $10 off coupon just for signing up to their email list so it was even extra cheap after that.

Regarding the racing games, at first I tried just using the keyboard but it had no analog control. I picked up a Blue Tooth Microsoft X-Box controller which isn't too bad.

I have seen pictures of people's setup with real steering wheels, brake & gas pedals etc which would make the racing better.

I like to drive using the behind the wheel 1st person perspective since it makes the whole experience seem more realistic. But I think people like watching in the 3rd versus 1st person.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:44pm
I, too, use an Xbone wireless controller for some games. There are times when a K&M just can't take it. Joystick setup, too. If I were to get a steering wheel attachment (with or without peddles) my first gaming purchase would be in the Truck Simulator series. Spent many years and miles on the road and only the contraction of an idiopathic and incurable medical condition pulled me from it. Nothing like an unforeseen and incontrollable bad break to pull you out of one situation and into the next, no?
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 7:39pm
Two of my sons are truck drivers. They used to do over the road long haul mostly but now just drive local circuits in the St. Louis area.

A friend of my son John that he works with has an YouTube channel called "Advanced Truck Backing" with 8.8K subscribers dedicated to just backing up the big rigs with a load. Pretty interesting to tell the truth.

I was never good at even backing up a car out of a garage. I remember in the Army they would have these contests where they put cones out and you had to do a reverse figure 8 with a jeep and trailer. I never could do that myself and always heard that sound when I jackknifed.

I even thought the train simulators would be cool if they took you through beautiful terrain with scenic sights.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:44pm
Your sons will appreciate this.... I was given this piece of advice in 1979:

In a tractor trailer, the first rule of backing up is:

Don't.

I'll have to check out the channel. I've been in some seriously tight spaces going both backwards and forwards.    These kids today don't know what it's like to drive a 4sp brownie on a grade... both hands for shifting and steering with your elbow.

But I digress...

If you're looking for a decent train game, look at Railway Empire. Lots of good videos on YT to get a feel for it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:48am
Good chat, gents. Fun.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 9:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply