FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unsure as to what GPU config I should choose...

Post Date: 2013-03-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Yeowie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yeowie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Unsure as to what GPU config I should choose...
    Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 6:20am
Budget:

Expectations:
To be able to play games such as Planetside 2 on Ultra (or at least high/ultra) graphics settings, even in huge battles while using an aerial vehicle, without massive FPS drops. Pref. averaging above 50 in such fights, more would be even better of course. Have my eye on Crysis 3 too, and we all know everyone wants to play that on high settings ;D

Usage:
Predominantly gaming of course. No higher priority than that ;)

Special Needs:
An easy to use, easy to upgrade system.
Saved Ticket #:

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features) <b></b>
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Hey guys. I'm new to custom PCs. I've played video games since 5, sitting on the N64, and moving to PC to play Starcraft at age 7, but I've never gotten into the hardware aspect of computers. At age 20, a lot of my gaming peers have insane rigs that they've built themselves and are very satisfied. Enough of the life-story. What I want to know is whether or not the dual SLI's are actually an improvement over, say, a single Radeon 7970. The Radeon is slightly cheaper, which is a bonus, but that is obviously because there is only 1. For my posted build, which would honestly suit better, out of any decent, current-market card? As I have said, I'm new to building, so I would love any feedback in as simple terms as possible ^_^
(My main issue is keeping FPS at a steady 50 or higher, in case you missed it above).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 6:59am
Hi Yeowie....  Welcome to the forums.  You didn't mention the monitor/s and resolution you play with.  For single 1920x1080 monitor, a sli 670 will play great. Some games don't like sli but it can always be disabled whenever you want.   

That is a nice build you put together but I would suggest a couple of changes if in the budget.

Go with sli, 2x gtx 670.  The 660Ti is close but it does drop by 25% the memory bandwidth and rendering units compared to the 670.   The better the card/s now, the longer you'll be happy.   Here's a link comparing the single 7970 with sli 680, the 670s being almost the same.  . Not even close.

For the cpu cooler, I suggest the Noctua D14.  It is large but cools great, is quiet and very relaible with little to go wrong.

These changes put you at $2282 I believe. 

Hope this helps and good luck.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Mar 2013 at 7:00am
Yeowie View Drop Down

Quote Yeowie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 8:45am
Hmm... After consulting some friends I have decided to go with the z77 mobo, with an i5 2500k, however it doesn't seem to be a customisation option on this website. Would I have to order the 2500k from elsewhere? And if so, how would I go about excluding the processor from my chosen build on this site?

Btw, I have a BenQ senseye+photo on a 1920x1080 resolution.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 9:10am
I'm not sure you could order a system with no cpu.  You'd need to ask them.   They can special order and install I believe but there would be a cost for the order.

Considering they're both the same cost, I'd stick with Ivy Bridge for better and probably longer support if needed.  If the added heat and lower oc, that some complained of, is the issue with Ivy Bridge, then unless your into high oc'ing yourself, its probably not an issue.  Its really a non issue. 

I have the 2500k chip and am very happy with it, but I wouldn't pay extra for special order, or install a chip myself wihout the DS support, for it.  It's not worth going from 2500k to 3570k , but for a new rig, I'd go the newer 3570k. 

Just me. 

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Mar 2013 at 9:40am
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 9:11am
If i'm not mistaken i think you can call and ask and see if they will put the i5 2500k in your build.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 9:31am
Good point.  They might have some Sandy Bridge 2500k  chips still in stock, just not promoting them.  Need to ask DS.

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Mar 2013 at 9:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply