UPGRADE 2010 DS UNIT

Post Date: 2017-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: UPGRADE 2010 DS UNIT
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:41am
Calling all wise and knowledgeable,

I have a DS computer I bought in 2010 and it is somewhat dated, to say the least. I configured the unit for upgradeability and cost as priorities. I have many questions about upgrades, compatibility, etc. With the components listed below:

1. Can I upgrade to a newer gen I7 and use the self contained, sealed, no maintenance, cpu water cooler and still keep the radiator inside the HAF case?

2. Will my motherboard support the newer GeForce GTX video cards and will a dual fan card fit? My original card was chosen because I played games circa 2005-2007 and it supported 3 monitors and was relatively cheap. The idea was to upgrade the card to a GeForce card later but the technology has changed so much I feel I should replace other components as well.

3. I plan on buying a monitor this time as I am using a 22" television with VGA connections and would like to get higher resolution and a larger (28-32") viewing area. Does DG include the connecting cables when you purchase a monitor?

4. I would like to replace the media card reader to one with USB3 since my motherboard supports USB3; however, DS doesn't seem to offer an internal reader with USB3 unless I missed something.

5. Storage is gone with a 500 gig drive and an upgrade to a 1-2 TB as well as a solid state (250gig) would solve that problem. Is it feasible with my present components?

6. Lastly, I am running Windows 7 Professional and would like to keep that OS.

I understand the newer video cards generate less heat and draw less power than my present card. Is my power supply enough?(no sli}

I don't have a budget in mind but I am a on VA pension so I need to be somewhat frugal. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks in advance...

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 02 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:55am
Hi jaypeetee44.......

1.  You'd need a new motherboard and ram to use the new processors.

2.  Your mobo will support a new gen card, like the gtx 1070/1080 for example.  Newer cards are PCIe 3.0 and your mobo slots are PCIe 2.0, but they are backward compatible. 

3.  DS sends out the monitor in the original box, unopened, so whatever the manufacturer sends with the monitor is what you'll get.  Most monitors do ship with a cable or two to hook to the video card.

4.  Don't know.

5.  As long as your mobo has open SATA ports then you can add to what you have.  Some older boards are restricted to under 2TB drives, but that is what you want, so should be good.

6.  You can still use that OS.

Your 750watt psu is plenty for any single card. 

If you game on a 1080p screen then a gtx 1070 would be ideal.  A 1440p screen can still game real good with a 1070, but a gtx 1080 gives you higher graphics settings with the higher end games. 

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Post Reply Post Reply