Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HTK View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HTK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrade Advice
    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 10:10am
Hello All,

Today I come to the forums for some advice and technical knowledge.

A couple years ago I bought my first PC from here and I'm already looking in to upgrading. Unfortunately I know nothing when it comes to the technical side of computers, thus my post.

My configuration number is 2770657.

Now my question: How far can I upgrade, if I want to upgrade only my video card? I am interested in a more high-end video card, but don't want to push my system beyond the safe point.

Bonus question: If I wanted to upgrade all the way up to a 3000 series (assume a world were I could actually get one), what else would I have to upgrade so my PC could safely handle whatever I threw at it?

Thank You for all the advice,
HTK
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 2:04pm
I plugged your system information into this power supply calculator, and it estimates that your system currently uses 388 watts. This is a handy online tool:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Then if I bump up your video card to an RTX 3080 Ti, it estimates that your system will use 612 watts. Your power supply would still be able to handle that.

In other words, you can probably upgrade your video card to anything, except for maybe the RTX 3090. That's a huge card that doesn't fit in all cases.

Edited by JamesAstro - 31 Oct 2021 at 2:04pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:32am
JamesAstro is correct as far as he takes you. The second part of your question is what else might you need to upgrade to run a 3000 series GPU? you will be happy to know... nothing. You are good as is. The 3800x will not bottleneck significantly even on high settings.

What I recommend given the extreme prices that prevail, however, is target whatever Nvidia GPU is most appropriate for your current monitor resolution. It's not cost effective at all to go higher in this climate. If you game at 1080P, a 3060 or 3060 Ti is your card. At 1440p, a 3070 is right.

If you keep your cost down now, you may be well positioned to make a stronger upgrade move when the next gen of GPUs come out next Summer/Fall. We all have fingers crossed they will be more sanely priced. We can be quite certain they will take another quantum leap forward technologically, so than the lower level cards will be able to run just about anything. Right now, Nvidia has the edge, but not by much. AMD's next gen may be out sooner and be a powerful option.

Factors to think about.   
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 4:47pm
HTK,

Cretae helped me configure the new system that I recently ordered. I am running a 12 year old Digital Storm system that only had a fan go out in all this time. DS builds solid systems that last years!

JamesAstro is another good solid reference for advice on builds & resolving issues.

You will find that the Digital Storm Forum is full of fellow Gamers that go out of their way to help people make good decisions on their new builds!

Digital Storm is a Class Act and has been for years and continues to be the place that Gamers go to be in the No Lag Zone!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Beier95 View Drop Down

Quote Beier95 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:52pm
Generally speaking, RAM, SSD, graphics card, and processor are the most frequently seen upgrades in various pc upgrade guides. But if want to get instant improvement on computer performance, RAM, SSDs, are very simple and necessary PC upgrades. If you are a gamer, graphics card is also important.

WalgreensListens Survey

Edited by Beier95 - 26 Nov 2021 at 7:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply