FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade Advice

Post Date: 2022-11-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teflonbili View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teflonbili Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrade Advice
    Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 9:23am
 Good Day everyone.

Its been awhile since I have visited but its time again.
     I saw a post very similar to mine that basically answered my question but i decided to post anyway.
     I bought my Vanquish II level 4 in 2014 and although it has been a great machine with no issues,( loved the build), I have finally started to feel its time for an upgrade.
     I'm mostly a casual MMO junky but Ive wanted to try some other things lately and my machine either struggled a bit or I didn't try because it was below minimums.
    All that being said I'm looking to upgrade machines without going to crazy.
    Ive given myself a $2000 budget. Could go more buuuut really don't want to LOL

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas!

JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 11:14am
What's the resolution of your monitor? That will help us figure out how much performance you need.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU

Quote Teflonbili Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 11:54am
1920x1080

Thanks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 5:48am
With that budget, you might as well reach out for the Lynx Ultimate pre-built. It's way more GPU than you need, but has all the best parts among the pre-builts to be very upgradable for years. The GPU would be ideal for an upgrade to 1440p if you wanted to. That feature is the heart of the Lynx value. It's light on storage, but that's easy to buy online and install yourself.

A custom build can be had around $2000, but it's only marginally better for its CPU and motherboard. It remains light on storage:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4534287

The GPU is the strongest bang-for-buck at 1080p, and I personally love it for that purpose. The 3070 Ti is best for 1440p, and rated 27% better. I tend to favor the stronger mobo, but is it worth almost $350? The 12600K will run games just as well as the 13600KF IMHO.

Hope it helps.    

Quote Teflonbili Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 2:10pm
 Thank you very much for the input and the configuration. Definitely in my ballpark. Would it be worth upgrading to an i7 cpu?
  Probably can make my budget up to $2500.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 4:14am
No. Not needed at all for gaming. The advances made in CPU tech over the last three generations have resulted in enviable speed, cores, and threads that will game on for longer than ever before.

Here's the best selection of parts at your revised budget IMHO:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4534998

32GB of Ram, a corsair PSU for the factory warranty, excellent and very speedy storage, and a 3070 GPU for longevity and a possible step-up to 1440p.

I'd stay with the Lynx case for the included lightshow.

The Lynx Ultimate remains a viable option at the price. Still has an even better GPU. I don't think you'd ever know the difference in the CPUs. The mobo upgrade is a "nice to have" more than a "must" IMHO. You can always add RAM and storage at your leisure when needed. They are the two easiest and pretty worry-free upgrades to make. The PSU upgrade isn't compelling, but it's in the larger budget.

Decisions, decisions....   
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 10:27am
imo, if you're primarily an mmorpg gamer, you'd want to invest in the higher core procs assuming you play a wide range of mmo's (and they make use of multi-threading).  a game like The Division 2 takes advantage of all proc cores and the gpu, as well as the RAM.  my RAM typically is around high 80% to 100%, while my CPU is pegged at high 80's to 100%.  the GPU can reach high usage as well, but struggles the least while playing this game at 4K.  usually playing at such a high resolution shifts the math to GPU load, but an intensive game like that pretty much takes high end components across the board to run well at that resolution.  that being said, if you're sticking with 1080p i'd invest more in the CPU where more of the performance gains would be noticed. 

why are mmo's "CPU bound"?  it's the number of draw calls for the rendering of many individualized units on screen at once and keeping tabs of their every shift in space/time.  the CPU is the traffic cop, so to speak, the GPU the renderer.

if you're playing a lot of graphically intensive single player/single core coded games, than investing more of your budget in the graphics is the way to go.  if you want to be prepared for both, an all around cofig would be wise.  you don't need the flagship GPU and you don't need an I9 or equivalent in this use case.  a low end "budget build" for an mmo gamer might look like pairing an I7 with a 3060 12GB memory card for example.  you're investing more in the proc. 

so, should you invest in an I7 over the I5?  that depends on what your playing, i guess.  as Cretae points out, today's I5 has more cores (both P and E cores) than the older I5's back when i did my last build.  my next build will be after the new year when AMD will launch their X3D chips based on their new Zen 4 architecture.  those are "gamer chips" like last gen 5800X3D, which will most likely blow past everything  in 13th Gen sans a 13900K. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply