Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msc728 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote msc728 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: upgrade help
    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:54am
It's been a long time since I've been on the forums here. I bought a DS gaming desktop 11/2009 so my rig is going to be 11 next month! I've upgraded several components over the years but I think I've neglected 2 of the most important parts. Here is my existing rig. (I've "**" the parts I've upgraded)

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHZ (Overclock to 3.57)
Mobo: EVGA X58 LE
**Memory: G.Skill DDR-3 1600 4GB x 6 (24GB total)
Power: 750W Corsair TX
**Storage set 1: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
**Storage set 2: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SSD
**GPU: EVGA GeForce TRX 2080XC Ultra 8 GB GDDR6 (PCI-e 3.0)
**Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P
**Airflow: In addition to case fans, Corsair LL120 RGB x 6
**Display: Asus MG28U6 4k UHD

I want to upgrade the mobo and processor as those are 11 years old!! (I know that RAM and cooling will have to upgrade as well). For the processor, I was looking at the i7-10700K. As for the Mobo, Asus Maximus XII Hero or MSI MEG Z490 ACE. I am open to suggestions that will help me maximize my other components. I use it for 90% gaming on Steam, Origin, Epic. I can run BL3 in 4k but only getting 40ish FPS. If I reduce settings to medium I can get 53ish FPS. Not sure if you need any other information. If so please ask. Also, not sure how complicated replacing a mobo is, if I could even DIY it (never done it before). I don't think I need a whole new rig based on my upgrades. The HAF is a full size tower so internal space is a non issue. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:49pm
Welcome back msc728.

That is a good case and a complete overhaul is about due.
To change the mobo you will have to disconnect everything from it, wires, gpu, cpu cooler (that cooler is rated as good as most AIOs so I'd look to reuse) and any other hardware that gets in the way of removing all the screws holding the mobo to the case. Label and take many and close pictures so you know where the wires go on the new board.
That psu is also due for a change. Go for a full modular with new wiring.
The Maximus XII Hero is well reviewed don't know about the MSI
You will want to install your OS in a new Nvme storage for much faster loading speeds (Samsung 970 PRO or EVO come to mind)

The RTX 2080XC Ultra you have is a strong card but for maxing out a 4k you really need the 2080Ti model or one of the new 3080s. Seing as that 2080 is relatively new, unless you can sell it, you still have some years of enjoyment from it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by hoserator - 12 Oct 2020 at 3:51pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 2:05am
hoserator has the right of it for the most part. Aside from the wiring issues that can be dealt with with some good photography as hose suggests, your new board will come with long screw doohickeys called stand-offs that attach to the mobo and then to the case so the mobo "stands off " from the case and can't short out. There will be a diagram of where the stand-offs go and the case will have plenty of screw holes, but some will likely be different than the one there now. it's not that difficult, just a little painstaking. Don't leave any out if you can help it.

I agree you re-use the cooler and get all you can from it. If that PSU has more than about 3-4 years on it, I agree it needs changing. if it's original... congrats!

NVMe SSDs are now available in the M.2 form factor (used to be add-in cards only) that plugs into a slot on the front of the mobo, and does not require cabling. They run off the PCIe bus, and are 5 times faster than SATA. The 970 PRO and the 970 PLUS are NVMes DS sells here. For some reason known but to powers beyond my pay grade, the Pro sells cheaper here than the PLUS. It's the other way around in the wild. The PLUS is a bit newer, but does not outperform. There's not much to notice between the two at the same size, but the PRO is quite pricy. They do have a 970 EVO (plain), but I don't know much about it. IMHO, you don't have to get into that right away, but it's a hella upgrade for the not too distant future. I like the 1/2 TB ones just for OS, often-used apps, and maintenance software. The SATA SSDs are plenty fast enough for everything else, IMO. that way, you don't have to replace too much if you have to wipe Windows.

Sorry to say, even the 2080 Ti couldn't max out at 4K. You'll prolly want a 3080, but that's for another day, too, I guess. The RTX 3070 out Oct 29th is better than a 2080 Ti at $499 list price.

Hope it helps.
msc728 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote msc728 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 11:25am
Thanks for the input! Yes, that is my original PSU. I was looking at getting the Corsair RMx 850W ATX Plus gold modular. Hopefully, that will be a good replacement. Can I buy individual components from DS? I didn't see anywhere to do that.
You have me intrigued about the NVMe SSDs since I currently have 2 SATA SSDs now with a similar set up with the OS and a few other apps on a 500GB SSD and my 2TB SSD houses everything else (mainly games).

Edited by msc728 - 13 Oct 2020 at 11:26am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
A pleasure. Looks like you know your way around quality parts. nothing too good for the HAF, eh? The Samsung NVMes have the rep of being the cream of the crop, still.

You can buy from DS, I think, but everything they sell has installation, troubleshooting and a warranty folded in, so you can do much better at Amazon or Newegg. Some like to go to PC PartPicker, I think they give you a choice of vendors and prices when you click on the part.

Happy hunting!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 1:01am
You can clone your SSDs into the new Nvme as long as the new storage (Nvme) is equal or larger than the one cloning from.

I don't think DS sells individual parts anymore (you can get really good deals in Amazon, Newegg, etc like Cretae suggested.) but I think you can send your pc and they can refurbish it with all you want. At least they used to do that. If interested you should give them a call (and ask them about the parts while you have them on the phone)

If you decide to use your Haf, I suggest that you take it apart to its frame and give it a good cleaning and start with new fans, etc.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Jtbjr View Drop Down

Quote Jtbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 12:52am
I would wait until early 2021 for the new intel Rocket Lake processors and for the rtx 3000 series cards to become available again. Rocket Lake is rumored to be a huge leap forward for gaming with relatively easy above 5Ghz overclocks. The RTX 3000 series cards are also a huge leap forward (rtx 3080 seems to be the best value). Also, with rocket lake supporting PCIe 4.0, you can install a PCIe 4.0 nvme storage drive and take advantage of nvidea’s RTX IO, a “gpu attached storage” feature that claims to be able to virtually eliminate loading times on games. Basically it works by loading your game directly into the VRAM of your video card instead of having your cpu first bring it to your RAM and then having the GPU load it from RAM to VRAM.

Of course it will all come down to your budget, but a complete new build from DS (unless you can do it yourself) in early 2021 might be your best bet. The good thing about DS (apart from being expertly built and tested) is that they have financing options available for the entire machine and you would get warranty that includes labor and part replacement done by DS if something were to go wrong.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:06am
Yes, indeedy! Abandon your plan, ignore the fact that AMD has supported PCIe 4 now for the better part of a year, and the next round of Ryzens are out in 2 weeks. Then you can get the Next Big Thing that will be even more overpowered for gaming than what's out now and only spend 2-3 times as much! You even get the explanation of why you won't need a more powerful CPU to cut down on those pesky loading times.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:13am
"If I had always waited for the next 'thing', I would never have had any 'thing'"
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 1:47pm
I want a quantum bit cpu and they are also rumored to be available in the future but meanwhile.....Smile
msc728 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote msc728 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:09am
Plan is in motion and parts acquired....I'll post an update when completed. Hopefully that will be soon!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:43am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:12am
Good luck and do keep us posted. Awesome
msc728 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote msc728 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Ok, I finished up over the weekend! The only issue I ended up with was having to do a clean install of Windows. I couldn't get my old drive to boot. After having a conversation with ASUS support it was determined that the age of old MB and how the drive was formatted was the culprit. Anyway, after that I had no issues. I used some parts from the old HAF (which I decided to retire!)
Here are the final specs:
new - Chassis: Corsair Crystal 680x
new - Processor: Intel Core i7 10700k
new - Mobo: Asus Maximus XII Hero
new - Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 2*16 3200
new - Power: Corsair RMx1000 (overkill, but for future GPU upgrades)
new - Storage set 1: Samsung 970 EVO plus NVME 500gb (OS drive)
Storage set 2: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
Storage set 3: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SSD (games)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080XC Ultra 8 GB GDDR6 (PCI-e 3.0)
new - Cooling: Corsair iCue H100i RGB Pro (switched out the fans)
Airflow:Corsair LL120 RGB x 6
Display: Asus MG28U6 4k UHD

Now I get to learn how to OC some stuff, hopefully without breaking anything! Thanks for everyone's assistance! I'll post some pics if anyone wants to see.

Edited by msc728 - 30 Oct 2020 at 9:09am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 12:34pm
Nice, 
Strong
Enjoy.
Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 3:31am
Yes, that will do nicely!
 Post Reply Post Reply