FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade Win 7 HomePre to Prof

Post Date: 2009-12-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RAT340 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RAT340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrade Win 7 HomePre to Prof
    Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 11:52am
Hi I upgraded my DS computer from Vista 64 bit to Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit. I want to up grade from Win 7 Home to Professional 64 bit so I can use the Win XP Mode. However it says on Micro soft web page :  

Windows XP Mode requirements

Running Windows XP Mode requires:

• Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.

• A computer capable of hardware virtualization. This means your computer has a central processing unit (CPU) with either Intel-VT or AMD-V virtualization features.

• Virtualization features turned on in your computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS).

To determine whether your computer’s CPU is capable of hardware virtualization, go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC support website and download a utility that can check whether your Intel or AMD CPU is compatible.

To find your brand of processor so you can download the appropriate utility, click the Start button Picture%20of%20the%20Start%20button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. Under System, next to Processor, you can see what type of CPU you have.

Even if your CPU can run Windows XP Mode, you might also need to turn on virtualization settings in your computer’s BIOS. Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer.

I ran their test for VT and says it has to be turned on in my computer BIOS, but when I went into my Bios setup theres no VT turn on option ? My CPU is the INTEL i7  920 .So can I upgrade to Win7 Pro for the WinXP Mode or not since I see no VT turn-on ? THANKS
R.A.T.
Clinton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Clinton Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 12:23pm
It would most likely be called hardware virtualization/VT in the CPU configuration in the BIOS.
RAT340 View Drop Down

Quote RAT340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Clinton

It would most likely be called hardware virtualization/VT in the CPU configuration in the BIOS.

Hi I've  been hitting the  Delete key on startup to get into Setup screen, I only get Advance Bios option, never see any thing called CPU configuration Hardware Virtualization/VT listed even when I enter the Advance Bios option. Am I looking in the wrong place for it ?
R.A.T.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 7:01pm
what win your mobo make and model?

now a few things, when you say upgrade you don't mean take the current vista install and upgrading it to win7 pro? cause you can't do that.

also you don't want to upgrade os, it causes lot of problems, our forums is full of people with upgrade problems.

instead do a fresh install, to do that you need a win7 pro cd, if you have it then you are set.
RAT340 View Drop Down

Quote RAT340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2009 at 7:07am
I upgraded from vista 64 to WIN 7 64 Bit Home Prem already with CD I got with coupon from DS from Microsoft. I'm looking to upgrade from Home Prem to the Win 7 Professional 64 bit so I can use the WinXP Mode. Need info on how to turn on the Virtual/VT in the CPU Config {can't remember how to find the CPU setup again Big%20smile] to make sure I can use the Win XP mode before I buy the upgrade. My MOBO is the X58 LE with the i7 920 CPU [not on DS computer right now to give you full details on MB].
Another question ? I have the CD to do a full install of WIN 7 Home Edition [only did upgrade from vista to Win 7 not full install yet] so can I just buy the upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 7 Pro UPGRADE CD or do I need to purchase the FULL Win 7 Pro Install CD program ?

Would also like to wish everyone A Merry Xmas & Happy Holidays at DS & all  DS Computer owners.  THANKS RAT340
R.A.T.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2009 at 2:39pm
I don't think you can upgrade from home premium to pro without a full reinstall.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Dec 2009 at 2:39pm
Captain Francis View Drop Down

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2009 at 2:46pm
Unless what I read is old, all the installs have everything on them, if you give M$ more moola, they will "upgrade" you by unlocking more features.

Edit:  Windows 7 installs, I mean.

Edited by Captain Francis - 24 Dec 2009 at 2:53pm
RAT340 View Drop Down

Quote RAT340 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Captain Francis

Unless what I read is old, all the installs have everything on them, if you give M$ more moola, they will "upgrade" you by unlocking more features.

Edit:  Windows 7 installs, I mean.

Your Right. I fully installed Win 7 Home Prem but it took me several trys for some reason Sleepy  [ Had to do some computer system restores before] but it finally installed correctly.
Then I managed to purchase just a Product Key for Win 7 Prof online, went to Windows Upgrade Now, put in key with no cd required in drive & it loaded Win 7 Pro with no problems. Just started to load all my old programs & games today, sure takes alot of time to do this even with a FAST COMPUTER.
R.A.T.
Captain Francis View Drop Down

Quote Captain Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:08pm
How much stuff one accumulates can sometimes be surprising.

Also for games on DVD/CD, the optical drive speed is probably the bottleneck.
OsandmanO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote OsandmanO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:09am
This is why I decided to get Win 7 Pro to begin with. The extra $32.00(at the time) is well worth the cost.
There will ALWAYS be room for upgrades.
 Post Reply Post Reply