Post Date: 2021-09-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Merlin_ZM84 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Merlin_ZM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrades
    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:26pm
How do I go about getting hardware from DS to upgrade components when needed? I realize I could stick any other brands I wanted to in it, but I'd rather keep it all the same and get components from the people who built my custom machine instead of mixing different branded components for things such as bigger power supplies or anything that DS uses their own components when doing custom builds for customers. Anyone who can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
Twitch.tv/Merlin_ZM84

DS Lumos
X570 plus
Ryzen 9 3900x
EVGA Geforce RTX 3060
32G Patriot Viper Steel @3600mhz
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 11:01pm
Welcome to DS. Awesome
DS does not make any components, They have 3 cases that are exclusive designs, Aventum, Velox and Bolt. All other parts, even when labeled DS are made by others. DS used to sell hardware but not in some years now and back then there were no DS labeled parts!

So review at your hearts desire and upgrade at ease.  Enjoy. Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 3:47am
You should be aware that DS branded parts are made by highly competent manufacturers, but are generally only available in a computer they build. One reason they have these parts at all, is they are able to keep costs down for you because the extended factory brand name warranty isn't included. DS will give you up to a 3 year parts warranty on everything in your box, but most people go with the one year standard coverage, and don't pay extra. In the vast majority of cases, one year is fine. It's been a truism for many years in the computer biz that a part that doesn't fail within the first year will very likely last a long time.

However, the fact remains that brand name parts almost always come with a much longer parts warranty than one year. For example, get a DS SSD, you're covered for one year (unless you pay for extra coverage). Get a Samsung 980, and you are covered by Samsung for five years. This is why brand name parts cost more here. It's not a gimmick, you do pay less for DS branded parts. In more normal times when the supply chain wasn't broken, there was almost always a choice between a DS part and a factory brand. Some of those choices, like in CPU coolers, have gone away because of short supply.

In your case, you will get a good price because DS isn't a middleman, and you will get factory warranties on all your upgrades. You'll come out ahead.
Mordir View Drop Down

Quote Mordir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 10:22pm
I honestly have the same question but only because I want to know how to take advantage of this "benefit" to buying a system from DS. "Life-time labor free upgrades for component upgrades purchased directly from Digital Storm" If they don't sell any hardware individually to upgrade then how do I take advantage of that statement? I am buying an expensive system so that professionals handle setting it up. Zero intentions of swapping hardware myself given the hard line water cooling.

Are they simply overdue to remove that statement from the site?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 11:09pm
Welcome to DS.

Unless I am mistaken, I remember that the process would be for you to send the system back to DS for upgrades, they would r&r the hardware (labor free, you pay for the hardware) and send back to you. If you have the knowledge, it saves time if you do the r&r yourself and purchase the hardware by yourself (better selection).

How would DS give you "free labor" otherwise?
Hope that answers your doubts. 
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 4:21am
hoserator is right. That's how it works. It's pretty time consuming and probably not worth the hassle. Many of us have acquired skills through the years that we install our own upgrades. These days you can get all the tutoring you wish from You Tube. Believe me, it's a great ability to acquire and and not too complicated with most parts. When it boils down to replacing a motherboard, which is the most complex, it's usually time for a new system!
Merlin_ZM84 View Drop Down

Quote Merlin_ZM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:49pm
I'm not gonna lie, I had my pc for one day before it quit sending a signal to my monitor and reverted to power saving mode immediately upon booting up continually, I sent it back to have it repaired and have gotten 0 updates and it's been almost a month since they recieved it, at this point I'm contemplating on just telling then to keep it and refund me. It's unfortunate bc this is my first experience in buying a gaming pc and for 3,000 dollars I'm sorta bitter with this whole situation now considering I ordered it July 12, recieve it Sept. 21st only to go thru the whole RMA process and send it back immediately after troubleshooting the issue w tech support. I'm about to just give up....
Twitch.tv/Merlin_ZM84

DS Lumos
X570 plus
Ryzen 9 3900x
EVGA Geforce RTX 3060
32G Patriot Viper Steel @3600mhz
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 7:36pm
Maybe reach out to DS Supervisor Alex as Alex generally makes positive things happen. Email at [email protected]. Hope it gets moving soon!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2021 at 3:29pm
Sorry to hear about what you're dealing with, I will be happy to look into it and help, please email me ([email protected]).
 Post Reply Post Reply