FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading a GPU with Hard-Tubing

Post Date: 2018-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FullFrontalCA View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FullFrontalCA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading a GPU with Hard-Tubing
    Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:41pm
I bought a Hailstorm II from Digital Storm awhile back with a GTX 1080, but I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.  I've been eyeing the new RTX 2080 Ti (Yes, I know about the issues it's been having, but I'm thinking it over still), but I have a hard-tubing water cooling solution that I'm a little afraid to touch.  It doesn't have quick-disconnects, and like I've stated earlier, the tubing is hard acrylic, so it's not very flexible (and a YouTube video showed me how it's prone to shattering under stress).  Still, the dimensions of the RTX 2080 Ti are near-identical to the GTX 1080, and I'd imagine with a water-cooling plate attached the difference would be even less.  The kicker here though, is that I've never replaced/upgraded a GPU that was attached to a liquid-cooling loop before, and I fear I may have picked the most difficult type to work with in my enthusiasm when I first had Digital Storm make my build.

I have some pictures below to give a sense of what I'm dealing with here.  I tried to be as comprehensive as I could:

1. Big picture photo - https://pli.io/2vFHM9.jpg
2. Top-down of GPU position - https://pli.io/2vFbm3.jpg
3. Close-up of GPU connection - https://pli.io/2vFuaZ.jpg
4. Underside of GPU - https://pli.io/2vFBYw.jpg

It seems a little daunting to me, but I was hoping someone here could help.  If anybody knows how I could tackle this, like best practices for draining and refilling the loop, how to remove the GPU and insert the new one despite the inflexible tubing being in the way, I would very much appreciate it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:50am
Hi,
DS has been making hard-tubing with no bends, only fittings. Depending on the style, bends or corner fittings, will really determine how to do the change.
I am not absolutely sure but I strongly doubt that the bent hard-tubing will fit the new card unless it was a direct replacement. With the fittings' style of tubing, you would adjust the lenghts to fit.
Draining, flushing and refilling is a task. I don't know how to even start since DS does not regularly install drain valves unless special ordered. I would think that you have to take it apart to drain. I have only done it with soft tubing. Once drained, the flushing and refilling is just repetitions of the same. Again with hard tubing..........?

I'd keep that 1080 since it is a very good card and a lot of people upgrade to it instead of the 2080 series.

The other alternative is to send it to DS for the changes.
Some others will probably give you better advise.
Keep us posted.  Big%20Smile
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:27am
What are you doing with your computer that requires a 2080ti? I have to ask, it's super expensive and if you're only playing games your 1080 is perfect.

Quote FullFrontalCA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:48am
I'm the type of gamer that likes to chase the bleeding edge, and I game on a 4K TV.  I know a 2080 Ti is a lot of money, but whether I buy it or not isn't really the point of this topic.  Just imagine I'm swapping out my GPU for any old random GPU with similar dimensions.

Edited by FullFrontalCA - 20 Nov 2018 at 7:39pm
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:10am
I'm all for owning the most/best/top of the line. You do know that you will never, ever, ever come close to using 32 GB of ram. Why stop at 32GB when you could go 64GB =) or 128GB. If money is not an issue, you should Hydrolux the entire setup.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 11:18am
Hailstorms came with Hydrolux if you have hardline tubing. Smile But I'll be corrected if not. Oops

Edited by hoserator - 20 Nov 2018 at 11:19am
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

What are you doing with your computer that requires a 2080ti? I have to ask, it's super expensive and if you're only playing games your 1080 is perfect.

I would agree, that for gaming alone the 2080 Ti cards are way overpriced. At this point in time, its a lot of extra money to pay for unsupported(in general)/unimplemented/what-if's/maybe features on a recently released graphics card. Currently, there are very very few games that even support the ray tracing(one of its hyped-up marketed selling points), and this was from an article dated Sept. 19 of this year.
Fast-forward to today:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/battlefield-v-dxr-ray-tracing-tested/
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-admits-2080-ti-problems/

The way I'm seeing it, NVidia expects us to pay more for some of these new RT cards while at the same time, the benchmarks in the first article are showing a reduced performance when using the ray tracing feature at 1080p using an RTX 2080. If I was going to spend that much cash on a graphics card strictly for gaming and I needed it NOW, I would get a Titan Xp, or better yet, look for someone selling a 1080 Ti. This is just my opinion, because right now I really don't care about ray tracing. To me, its an absurd idea of spending more up front for "hopefully" better performance in about a year. I could be wrong, but in regards to ray tracing I'm expecting there to be marginal improvement at best with the current 2000-series products available and that NVidia will probably release an even more powerful RTX card. So I'm guessing that by the time ray tracing is more ubiquitous in gaming, individuals will either have to purchase an additional RTX card and/or a yet-to-come more powerful RTX card in order to take full advantage of the ray tracing features; especially if they want to game with it at higher resolutions. Sound familiar?

On the plus side, the 2080 Ti has a lot more CUDA cores & faster memory, which will always help improve performance. Just don't expect much any time soon when it comes to ray tracing. Some of the current 3d production software doesn't even support the new 2000 series cards(much less Ray Tracing), so you either have to use a beta version of the 3d software(if one is available)that supports them, do your rendering without Iray, or use different software that does support them.

So if the OP has the money to burn, go for it. Don't be surprised if you end up having to purchase an additional card if you want to use ray tracing on higher settings/higher resolutions.

Quote FullFrontalCA Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Hailstorms came with Hydrolux if you have hardline tubing. Smile But I'll be corrected if not. Oops

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?  Yes, I got Digital Storm's HydroLux system, but I got the hardline tubing instead of the flexible tubing.  As far as I can tell, the hardline tubing doesn't have quick-disconnects, and I don't know how to upgrade my GPU while it's connected to hardline tubing.  That's what I'm asking here, if anybody knows how to help me.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 1:00am
Sorry for the confusion, I was answering the prior post to mine by ThePinkGoat regarding getting a Hydrolux lc for your system.

I already posted all I know regarding changing a gpu with hardline. No easy task. Good luck. Hopefully someone with hardline can enlighten us all. Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:15am
Some judgmental people.

If you want a 2080 Ti and you're ok with the price, go for it.

Unlike some, I realize you may really be interested in experiencing Ray Tracing (even if it does take a performance hit). And the 2080 Ti will give you the most frames after said performance hit. Especially since you're gaming at 4k.

I remember when 2GB of ram was more than enough. Upgrading to 4GB in Windows XP was considered a stupid move. Then 64 bit came out and people were upgrading to 6GB and, others would tell them "you'll never use that much, you're wasting your money."

If you're ok with the price, go for any upgrade that you personally see fit. I can honestly see a use case as to why you'd want to upgrade from a 1080 to a 2080 Ti.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
I agree with Meller.    Nothing wrong with getting the best graphics card if the money is there. It’s a perk some can utilize.    Ray Tracing might be on only a few games but I personally would love to try it, and it’s huge performance hit does require aRTX 2080 Ti for even 1080 p gaming from testing I’ve seen. You don’t even need to go 4K to justify it.     Whether it’s worth it or not is a personal decision for sure.

If Ray Tracing takes off in the next year or so then great. If not, well , we all buy things much more than we need.   Look at the cars we buy, way beyond what we need for transportation, cell phones with features we’ll never use,....the list goes on.

If it feels good, then do it.   
 Post Reply Post Reply