FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading advice

Post Date: 2011-12-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
YankBastard View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YankBastard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading advice
    Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:31am
Got this system about two and a half years ago and I'm looking at upgrading. I'm wondering if you know if NVIDIA's 570 1.2GB would work with what I have, and be worth it? Also if 120GB Solid State SSD would be worth the upgrade? And what kind of RAM upgrade makes a difference from what I currently have?

Budget:
$500-$1000

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Cooler Master HAF 932
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1333MHz Mushkin (Highly Recommended) (Digital Storm Certified)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Cooler Master V8 (Compatible With i7 Processors)
CPU Boost: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
“Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that."
-George Carlin-
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:01am
because of the mobo and psu you chose when you configed, your upgrade path is wide open, all we need to know is what you need.

what is the native res of the monitor you are gaming on?

if you want to increase the amount of ram you have just add 3GB more 1333 mushkin ram.

if you want an ssd its a always good idea.

new gpus are coming out in jan-feb, I would wait and upgrade to those, but lets figure out what kind of gpu power you need first.

if new gpus were not coming out, depending on your needs, I would go either single 570 or sli 570.

Quote YankBastard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

because of the mobo and psu you chose when you configed, your upgrade path is wide open, all we need to know is what you need.

what is the native res of the monitor you are gaming on?

if you want to increase the amount of ram you have just add 3GB more 1333 mushkin ram.

if you want an ssd its a always good idea.

new gpus are coming out in jan-feb, I would wait and upgrade to those, but lets figure out what kind of gpu power you need first.

if new gpus were not coming out, depending on your needs, I would go either single 570 or sli 570.

I'm away from home for the next few days so I'll have to get back to you when in comes to my res because I forgot what exactly it is.
I just want to be playing Skyrim and SWTOR on max settings.

As far as RAM goes. Does it matter that it's Mushkin or Corsair or something else? Also, does it have to be in sticks of 3GB as supposed to sticks of 2 or 4 GB?

As far as upgrading goes, do you do it or is it better for me to just order the parts and install them myself?
“Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that."
-George Carlin-

Quote YankBastard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 1:26pm
Also, every once in a while when I log on, my startup screen reads BzBzBzBzBz... where my HDD is supposed to read. CS has me just turn of the system, remove and reinsert one of the RAM sticks which usually makes everything right again. But do you know why it does that? Is it a sign that my HDD needs to get replaced?

When I get my SDD, I'd like to still use my old HDD as additional storage and back up. Is that advisable? And is there anywhere on here that tells you step-by-step(I'm a newb at this) of what you have to do when installing and setting up everything to work right.

One more thing, I have Vista on this computer. Is it advisable to get Windows 7?
-George Carlin-
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 1:28pm
Well for SWTOR you dont need sli not sure about skyrim.

your platform moves in 3GB increments so its best that you go in 3GB increments.

ram model does not matter but you want to match the specs, and you probably have to redo oc.

I'm only a customer like you, but I would do these upgrade myself, just call DS to reset your oc if needed.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2011 at 5:53pm
daveyd View Drop Down

Quote daveyd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 5:37pm
Skyrim definitely does not need SLI.  I'm running it on Ultra 1920 x 1080 with a single GT440.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by YankBastard

Also, every once in a while when I log on, my startup screen reads BzBzBzBzBz... where my HDD is supposed to read. CS has me just turn of the system, remove and reinsert one of the RAM sticks which usually makes everything right again. But do you know why it does that? Is it a sign that my HDD needs to get replaced?

When I get my SDD, I'd like to still use my old HDD as additional storage and back up. Is that advisable? And is there anywhere on here that tells you step-by-step(I'm a newb at this) of what you have to do when installing and setting up everything to work right.

One more thing, I have Vista on this computer. Is it advisable to get Windows 7?

If changing ram fixes it then something it going on with ram/oc.

you should use the hdd as storage.

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

in this case hdd1 = ssd.

should you get win7? IMHO no, win7's core is vista, I would wait and upgrade win8 64bit instead.

since both games don't utilize/need sli, all you need is a 570 gtx.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2011 at 5:58pm

Quote YankBastard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:43pm

If changing ram fixes it then something it going on with ram/oc.

you should use the hdd as storage.

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

in this case hdd1 = ssd.

your platform moves in 3GB increments so its best that you go in 3GB increments.

ram model does not matter but you want to match the specs, and you probably have to redo oc.

What is the difference between using a 3 gig and a 2/4 gig stick? I'm looking around and I can't find anything that's sold in 3 gig strips. Only 1, 2, and 4 gig.

What would happen if you put 2 gig sticks in those slots?

How do I set the HDD how I want it after I install? Wait until the start up screen comes up, then do it from the blue screen?

Also, do you know what DS uses when they add internal lighting? Where to purchase it? I'm talking about that internal lighting that you purchase for $10 extra during the build. I want to take out the the red lighting and put in another color?

Edited by YankBastard - 12 Dec 2011 at 7:57pm
-George Carlin-
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 7:53pm
to go to 6GB you need to get 3 x 2GB sticks.

not sure by what you mean as how you setup hdd, do you mean after you get the ssd? '

check out neweggs for lights, there is all kinds.

Quote YankBastard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm

not sure by what you mean as how you setup hdd, do you mean after you get the ssd? '

I mean, after I install the new SSD and start up my computer. What next? Do I do something in the start up in order to set my SSD as my HDD 1?
-George Carlin-
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:22pm
OH I see, we call the hdd that has os on it hdd1.

what you need to do is clone the hdd to ssd to move os/app/games/files all in one shot, then you boot off of the ssd and format the hdd.
 Post Reply Post Reply