FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading an AventumX - the dilemma

Post Date: 2020-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
vinniel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vinniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading an AventumX - the dilemma
    Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 6:02pm
I have an AventumX and need to add second RTX2080Ti to expand number of DP connections.

The dilemma is that there is no way this machine is making its way out of my house and all the way back to DS, and back. Anyone who’s ever taken delivery of this beast knows that it will die where it lies. Almost broke my back getting it to my office. It’s no joke that the packaging includes tie down ratchets to what I can only think of to help you hoist it up 😂.

So - I contacted DS asking for a quote to order the GPU and all necessary hardware/cooling block/fittings/hoses to install it myself. It’s been a little over a week, to receive a response that I can ship it back for upgrades. I am awaiting for the response, as shipping back isn’t an option.

Has anyone gone thru this process? There has to be a mechanism for DS customers to order DS-approved and supplied parts for local install, without having to ship their unit back.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 4:13am
DS is not really geared up to be a parts supplier. All you need do is a little research online and get your parts from Part Picker, Amazon or New Egg for example. DS offers a very limited selection of parts since they have to order in the 100s and 1000s. They also price them out as installed and warranted by them. You don't really want them as a parts vendor. Everything is just cheaper elsewhere., and quality isn't hard to find. check reviews before you buy.

That said, do you not know that the new generation of GPUs is vastly more powerful than the last one? You could easily outperform a 2x 2080 Ti and avoid all the problems inherent to two cards, and all the hassle of trying to set that up. Simply research to convince yourself, and then order ONE of the new RTX 3090s. It won't cost a great deal more, and you side-step all the problems with a dual RTX set-up. First and foremost, very, very few games even recognize it's there. If you can run a 2080 Ti, you can run a 3090. You don't even need to water cool it if that's a hassle.

These new cards are a quantum leap forward. The 3rd card down, the 3070, is a bit better than a 2080 Ti in many respects, and runs like one. The two above that blow it away. The 3090 has 24 GB of RAM fer pete's sake! Check it out. AFIK, you can get someone like best Buy's Geek squad to come to your house.
vinniel View Drop Down

Quote vinniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 6:25am
Thanks for the reply. I don’t disagree with you, but where can I find the water block for these cards and the correct fitting for the water connection?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:23am
I'm not a source for that. I personally detest custom loop water. I wouldn't bother with that card. It doesn't need any boost help, and you will hunt far and wide for the load that makes it overwork, IMHO. It does draw a lot of power, but I assume you have that covered.

This comes from PC World after they tested the card by looping Formula 1 2020 at 4K for 20 minutes: "It looks gorgeous, maxes out at a frigid 68 degrees Celsius under full load, and stays utterly silent the entire time. This unique “flow-through” cooler is exceptional here."

Buy the card and Google "waterblocks" for what you got. whoever sells that will sell the parts for it if you must have. I wouldn't bother, honestly.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 3:42pm
I have to agree with Cretae about not worrying about water cooling the RTX cards.

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago with a 3080 ASUS TUFF and have run it at 1440 playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and currently playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla, both games very demanding at max settings on my MSI 34" curved monitor. With MSI Afterburner running, I watching my temps on that 3080 stay in the mid 60C range no matter what. I think in a heavy, I mean heavy fight scene in AC Valhalla, I saw my max temp. at 67C.

It's going to take a long time before a game is capable of stressing this card temp. wise. Up to you, but you could definitely save some money by NOT water cooling the card.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 26 Nov 2020 at 3:43pm
Old Gamers Never Die!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:57pm
I also tend to agree as to the liquid (to call it water is wrong, the liquid is not entirely water) cooling loops. They are best suited for overclocking enthusiasts. In that respect, DS' loops are top notch. In the temp department there is no comparison. I have 2 EVGA Hydro Coppers (RTX 2080Ti) under liquid and have never ever seen anything higher than 40-42C. Right now at idle, 32C.

The hottest part right now is the NVMe (an addition) at 50C. They do run hot,

Enjoy.
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:04pm
Water blocks are typically easy to find and not really hard to install(just check out some YouTube videos). If you want a lot of options for block type, make sure to get a reference card (so avoid any Strix, FTW3, etc cards). I don't know what DS uses now but they used to use EKWB water blocks. I personally have a Hydro Copper block on my EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 card and the quality is awesome!
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:45pm
From another post, Alex posted that DS uses EKWB and Alphacool hardware for their liquid cooling hardware. You can check their sites.

If you already have one card lc, installing a second one is fairly easy (with soft tubing only, hardline is not so) once you have your GPU ready with the wb. I'll post how I would do it, others might have a better way.

You have to drain the system to below the gpu level.
DS uses QDs on their fittings connecting the gpu to the loop so all you do is disconnect and remove the upper QD from the gpu Including fittings, attach 90degree barbed fittings (easiest to work with) on each side of the gpus facing each other, attach the new gpu to the mobo  and connect with a short piece of tubing to the lower gpu (existing )and reattach the QD with its fittings on the top of the new one and reattach to the loop. (Note: if the tubing is too short, I believe that there are more QD's on the manifold side (my system was pre-manifold) so disconnect and attach a longer piece.) You will have air from the gpu and new plumbing so make sure you have a bottle of coolant (must be same) to refill. (If you don't know what coolant is in the system, call DS and order from them or on line.) Hope this helps. I would not have one card on air and the other lc.
Good luck.

Edited by hoserator - 30 Nov 2020 at 11:53pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:37am
OR... you could just get a 3090 in the marketplace for not much more and go with a single card on air that will probably outperform that obsolete SLI package. Nvidia stopped coding SLI into their drivers back in January.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:07am

LOL
Or even better get a 3090 with a waterblock and go cool. You already have the plumbing. It is much easier than what I described. In the case of going solo 3090,  disconnect QDs from card, remove card from mobo and then the QDs (everything) from the present card,  and install on the new card , install card with fittings on mobo, reattach QDs and voila. Will have to add coolant to fill up the card so that remains same.

Liquid cooling (and you already have a loop) is the way to go in your case.
vinniel View Drop Down

Quote vinniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:40am
Thank you everyone for the replies - super helpful.

I suppose the challenge is not simply which card model to use, but availability and number of DisplayPorts available per card.

Aren’t 3090s unobitanium at this stage? Or grossly marked up?

Even if I were to switch to 3090s, that would solve only the horsepower equation - I still need at a minimum 7 DP connectors (or 6 DPs with spare HDMIs). I would still need multiple GPU cards?

Cheers!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Sorry, we got carried away on the sli matter and forgot you were not discussing sli but availability of dpi ports. You will need 2 cards for that. Back to adding a card.
You can add a card and leave it off the loop, it will just run warmer than the rest.

BTW the 3080s are the ones with unobtanium overclocking and most on the pipe are spoken for. It will still be a lot easier to add just one card to the loop but those are a lot of outputs.
Good luck and keep us posted ..

Edited by hoserator - 01 Dec 2020 at 9:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply