FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading Current Gaming PC! Help!

Post Date: 2020-03-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SaucinYaBish View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SaucinYaBish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading Current Gaming PC! Help!
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:22pm
Hi! I purchased a computer from Digital Storm in 2016. It's been working great but I'd like to update some pieces and I'm looking for advice. I can put together the PC but I don't know all the deep information about what makes which graphics card better vs what CPU is most suitable etc. I'll post my current specs and I can go from there.

I'm currently using the PC to play PUBG, Overwatch, Streaming gameplay, and other various games. I am struggling to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare though. I don't think it's my graphics card but I definitely need way more RAM and potentially a better CPU. I'm just trying to gather information on whether I should buy a few upgrade pieces or A WHOLE NEW PC. Please help me out and provide advice! Thanks! P.S I also use a 60hz ASUS monitor LOL. I would need an upgrade from that but I honestly don't know how smooth playing on a 144hz monitor would be like. Advice for that would be appreciated as well.

PROBLEMS WHILE GAMING: I have FPS dips but I have to accredit that at times to PUBG and Modern Warfare not being completely polished. I've heard people had FPS problems with Modern Warfare despite it being a newer game. I can typically play PUBG pretty smoothly but there are times where the CPU and Memory are taxed out when I open Task Manager. my CPU can reach 80%+ and my memory can reach close to max out as well.

I assume I need more RAM potentially 2 more sticks, and a better CPU. I'm just looking for compatible parts with my motherboard, power supply, etc. I've been told the 1060 Graphics card is still pretty good and I've read it's still a great card so I'm not sure I need to update that yet to solve my problems. Thanks for reading!

Here are my Specs:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm VANQUISH 5 (Black Edition)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz (Codename Skylake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W EVGA/Corsair
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:37am
Okay, that's not a bad rig still. From what I hear, COD Modern Warfare is a mess, so I wouldn't guage your performance based on that game.

You definitely could use another 8GB of RAM, but you have to match what's in there unless you go all new. DS can tell you exactly what you have. Personally, I would just do that and see where you are. The i7 6700 should not be a bottleneck yet at all, IMO. Also, that card was highly recommended here on the Forum just a year or so ago when the 1660 came out.

How far you can upgrade a GPU will be limited by your PSU, but DS is pairing RTX 2070s with their 600W PSU in the Lynx pre-builts, so they could well be able to inform you about that as well. A 1660 Ti would be very good, but I'm not sure either of us think you need one yet!

Quote SaucinYaBish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Okay, that's not a bad rig still. From what I hear, COD Modern Warfare is a mess, so I wouldn't guage your performance based on that game.

You definitely could use another 8GB of RAM, but you have to match what's in there unless you go all new. DS can tell you exactly what you have. Personally, I would just do that and see where you are. The i7 6700 should not be a bottleneck yet at all, IMO. Also, that card was highly recommended here on the Forum just a year or so ago when the 1660 came out.

How far you can upgrade a GPU will be limited by your PSU, but DS is pairing RTX 2070s with their 600W PSU in the Lynx pre-builts, so they could well be able to inform you about that as well. A 1660 Ti would be very good, but I'm not sure either of us think you need one yet!

Ok, great! On another forum someone suggest the g.skill ripsaw 16 GB 3200 DDR4. I understand the RAM DS uses is their own brand. You answered my question though from the other forum about whether I need to match the RAM sticks so thank you.

I'll probably do as you said an replace the RAM first and see how that improves. I definitely think that's the major upgrade needed at this point. It's looks like it will be potentially a lot cheaper than I thought if all I need is to upgrade the RAM. I appreciate your reply!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:16am
I forgot to suggest you have a look at your current GPU driver. Nvidia stays on top of the more recent ones, and I've had trouble-free updates from their website. I have a GTX 1070 just one level above yours from the same era, and I just updated mine a month or two ago. Totally painless!

I really hope those tweaks do it for you. Let us know.

PS: DS RAM is almost always Adata, and I've never had it fail.

Quote SaucinYaBish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Cretae

I forgot to suggest you have a look at your current GPU driver. Nvidia stays on top of the more recent ones, and I've had trouble-free updates from their website. I have a GTX 1070 just one level above yours from the same era, and I just updated mine a month or two ago. Totally painless!

I really hope those tweaks do it for you. Let us know.

PS: DS RAM is almost always Adata, and I've never had it fail.

Ok, I've been updating the drivers through their Geforce Experience App, it gives me suggestions for the best optimal settins for games for my machine and then I typically update my drivers whenever possible since new games come out and typically require a driver update.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:14am
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:33am
I would also look at nvidia's recommended settings in games. I have had them change something that tanked performance that was not at all needed in the game.

If you are having an issue you might want to look at the settings in game and see what really is needed.

I do agree that moving to 16 GB ram is not a bad idea anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply