FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from Bolt Pro to Velox

Post Date: 2022-04-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darkdivision View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darkdivision Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading from Bolt Pro to Velox
    Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 10:52am
I recently purchased an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti but my Bolt Pro isn't able to handle overheating when gaming on certain games that are demanding. I had a similar issue when I purchased a 3070, but I was able to work around that by installing a different glass panel that had some holes for better airflow. Problem solved at that point in time...

Right now I'm considering purchasing a Velox build, but I'm stuck between going the liquid cooling route (for both CPU and GPU), or just going the regular fan route.

I have two questions I suppose. Is the Bolt Pro not meant to handle higher-end GPUs like the 3080 Ti, and if not should I upgrade to a Velox with liquid cooling (H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x Graphics Card + CPU)?

My current Bolt Pro build in case anyone's wondering.
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Bolt PRO
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic [replaced with one that has holes]
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 800W SilverStone SX800-LTI (Titanium Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless - USB Dongle (Supports 802.11AC) (Dual Band)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 1:26pm
Regarding liquid cooling vs air: I'm super happy with my air-cooled Velox. It has a Noctua NH-D15S cooler, and Noctua NF-A14 case fans. I have it set to keep the fans at 800 RPMs unless the temperature goes above 70C. Because of that, I never hear the machine. It never exceeds 70C, so the fans never ramp up. Based on my experience, I don't see any reason to get liquid cooling for the Velox.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 3:10pm
Greetings!

I have the Velox and it is always cool to the touch. I have a 5900x CPU that is on an AIO liquid cooler. My RTX 3080 GPU just uses its 3 fans. I do have the fans on the 3080 set to aggressive to keep its internals extra cool during heavy gaming.

This seems to be a reasonable configuration. I would not be enthusiastic for water block type cooling because of maintenance and potential leaks. Most people have no trouble but a few have over the years. The water block approach sure makes a pretty machine and definitely keeps everything cool most likely better than anything else.

I know you will like the Velox no matter what cooling approach you take. The Velox is all mesh in front, on top, & in back. It is usually always cool to the touch even during heavy gaming.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 1:43am
The Noctua is a special order and not the normal air cooler used. Noctuas are so big that the damages caused during shipping were horrendous to look at.

The heat putting out by new hardware is not getting less. The coming gpus will probably need bigger psus to run them and that translates into heat.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 3:18am
Following on what hoserator has said, the heat dissipation within a roomy case like the Velox is much better than with the Bolt. DS will not consider selling a new Bolt with one of the 12th gen Intel CPUs even under custom liquid cooling. They now offer a triple fan AIO cooler that will resolve much of the additional cooling need in a larger case. In the meantime, the temps modern parts can tolerate before throttling have increased. Over 95C in some cases (203F!). A roomy case with a combo of good airflow and a triple fan radiator will surely be able to keep the interior well under any temperatures that might threaten the parts. IMHO you would be unlikely to exceed 70C in normal use, and 40-60 would probably be normal.   
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by hoserator

The Noctua is a special order and not the normal air cooler used. Noctuas are so big that the damages caused during shipping were horrendous to look at.
The heat putting out by new hardware is not getting less. The coming gpus will probably need bigger psus to run them and that translates into heat.

That's a good point that I forgot to mention. I had to request the Noctua cooler as a special order. Plus, I picked up my computer in person, so it didn't need to be shipped with that big cooler inside.

That being said, I'm shocked at how well air cooling is working. For the previous 6 years I had a liquid cooled CPU, and liquid cooled GPUs, mainly because I wanted good cooling with minimal noise. Then I switched to the Noctua cooler, and my Velox is even more quiet that my Aventum was with liquid cooling. It really makes me wonder if there is any advantage to liquid cooling other than ease of shipping, or appearance.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 4:49pm
I set my beer on my Velox to keep it cool between sips. It is that cold to the touch.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 9:36am
I wouldn't set any liquid container (or anything for that mater) on top of any pc. Accidents will and do happen.
Good luck.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 9:52am
hoserator,

I was kidding about keeping my beer on top of my Velox to keep it cool. The Velox is nice & cool but isn't like a refrigerator.

The trick is to always drink the beer fast enough that it stays ice cold!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 10:19am

LOL

It's always better to drink it before it gets warm. I was horrified to see a cold one on top of the pc going to waste. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply