FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upgrading/installing SSD

Post Date: 2020-08-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
littledoddsy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote littledoddsy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: upgrading/installing SSD
    Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 2:12pm
I'm trying to install a new SSD card into my digital storm lynx (tier 1) I've been reading through forums for a while and I'm having trouble figuring out if this is even possible with the "stock" mother board ---> ASUS / MSI (AMD A320M Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) I am trying to pair the original 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba) HDD with a new SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S500B/AM so I can get the faster boot up times for applications from the SSD while still utilizing the cheap storage space of the HDD

I read that the tier 1 lynx doesn't have a slot for the SSD and that I would have to upgrade motherboards (which I'd really rather not do) so if you have any info on this it would be greatly appreciated as I am some what a beginner when it comes to building PCs
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 3:47am
Your motherboard has 4 SATA ports, one of which is already occupied by your HDD. I confess I do not see a conventional "drive cage" in any of the pictures, but you may well find a 2 1/4" size indent or two on the back of the motherboard. Take off the back panel of your case to see. I don't even see where they stuck the HDD.

Your board also is equipped with at least one M.2 slot on the front. It's a bit less than an inch long and accepts an M.2 form factor hard drive. Those are about the length and width of a small pocket comb. It plugs into the M.2 slot and is fastened down with a single screw at the other end. No wires or cables needed. If you want to go for one of those, get an NVMe, they are up to 5 times faster than a SATA one. They don't do a lot for games, but they are perfect for Windows, apps and maintenance software. Of course you can get a large capacity one one and load it up with anything you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply