FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading my GPU

Post Date: 2021-06-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skimit View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Skimit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading my GPU
    Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm
Budget:
Around 500$ since I just plan to get the GTX 3060 whenever it is available, I am not rushing

Expectations:
To switch out my current 1060 with a 3060 and have it work with my current config

Usage:
Mostly for Games like league of legends

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
2147849, this is my config number of my current setup except I switched out the ram for 2 x 8GB Ripjaws DDR4-3200. I just want to know if I could and how much of a hassle it would be to switch out my current GPU with a 3060.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 1:10am
That will be a very nice upgrade. I think that the 3060 has been superseded by the 3060Ti which is a better card. Your new card's TDP is higher at max but you should be ok. Others will chime in with better explanations.

As to removal and replacing gpus, it is very easy. After securing pc (off and grounded) remove power cables, unscrew from side, push small mobo's PCIe slot tab on end and carefully pull gpu out. Inserting new one is reverse. The tab will snap into place by itself when the gpu pushes on it, screw sides, insert power cables, hook up monitor, turn pc on and download new drivers from Nvidia.

Enjoy. Don't see too many Vanquish models anymore.
Seve View Drop Down

Quote Seve Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 10:37am
Just purchased a 2 yr old used Vanquish 7 level 2 this week. Loving it as is but tried playing Warzone and it got bogged down because if the games high memory reqs.

Looking to do some upgrades down the line if I can find a sweet deal on a GPU and RAM.

Good Luck!
Seve
Skimit View Drop Down

Quote Skimit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by hoserator

That will be a very nice upgrade. I think that the 3060 has been superseded by the 3060Ti which is a better card. Your new card's TDP is higher at max but you should be ok. Others will chime in with better explanations.
As to removal and replacing gpus, it is very easy. After securing pc (off and grounded) remove power cables, unscrew from side, push small mobo's PCIe slot tab on end and carefully pull gpu out. Inserting new one is reverse. The tab will snap into place by itself when the gpu pushes on it, screw sides, insert power cables, hook up monitor, turn pc on and download new drivers from Nvidia.
Enjoy. Don't see too many Vanquish models anymore.

Thank you for the reply, I'm glad switching out the gpu isnt too much of a process. I had looked at the tdp and thought that the 3060 would just fit but I wanted to make sure so thank you for letting me know.
Skimit View Drop Down

Quote Skimit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Seve

Just purchased a 2 yr old used Vanquish 7 level 2 this week. Loving it as is but tried playing Warzone and it got bogged down because if the games high memory reqs.

Looking to do some upgrades down the line if I can find a sweet deal on a GPU and RAM.

Good Luck!

Thanks good luck to you too, I had gotten a sweet deal from microcenter when I got my ram upgrade so hopefully you will be able to find yourself a good deal too!
Seve View Drop Down

Quote Seve Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:18am
Skimit, that sounds good!! If you don't mind, please keep us posted on how your RAM upgrade and how it improved performance and how difficult it was, etc.

Thanks 😊
Seve
Skimit View Drop Down

Quote Skimit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Seve

Skimit, that sounds good!! If you don't mind, please keep us posted on how your RAM upgrade and how it improved performance and how difficult it was, etc.

Thanks 😊

The Ram upgrade wasn't hard at all, just watching a YouTube video on it was enough to know how to set it up and I was able to do it in like 5 minutes. As far as performance, upgrading from 8gb to 16gb is so much better. It let's me multi-task better and handle heavier games. Hope that helps 👍🏻
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:32am

Awesome
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply