Pineapplerum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading my system
    Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 10:05am
Here are my present specs...

DSO-49827     Digital Storm Desktop 49827     1    
    Case: Digital Storm Twister PRO (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 560W SilverStone Strider (Model: ST56F) (Silent)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 650i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 650i Ultra)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel) (Performance)
Floppy / Card: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive 1: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE (Up to 7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: - No Thanks
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Black Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Includes Service Pack 2)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: McAfee Internet Security (Includes: AntiVirus, FireWall and AntiSpyware)
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: Acer 19 inch (Widescreen) (Black Edition) (High-Value Display)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia Desktop 2.0 (Multimedia Keyboard + Optical Wheel Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty        
MISC     balance Fix By: Randy 3/31/2009     1    

My motherboard died on me and I want to upgrade it but I'm told in order to do so I'll also have to upgrade my cpu and psu and I'll probably end up upgrading my graphics card, too.
Soooooo, what do you guys think? I want to be able to play the newest edition to the Elder Scroll series when it comes out next year (skyrim) and I think the specs to play that will be kind of demanding.
I seriously love the ES series so much that I'm upgrading my computer just so I can play the newest edition SKYRIM. Drooling
I have Windows XP. Do you think I should also upgrade to Windows 7, too? Will I need to?
Please give me your thoughts, suggestions,, advice and wisdom.  My budget is about $1000.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 10:06am
Oh, I have 4 GB of memory. I got another 2 sticks.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 11:36am
you can do a motherboard change, no need to change the CPU or PSU. The 775 socket motherboards, EVGA boards were not very good, and pricey to top it off. There is a ton of much, much better mother boards out there for under $100.00 brand spanking new.
With new sockets coming out soon, along with new CPU's, I would not upgrade to a new socket, you have a good platform, and to get it all running good again for under a $100.00, would make the most sense, then a year or two upgrade to one of the new sockets.
GPU wise, you can get a GPU that is about twice as powerful as the one you have now, for little money, and not have to upgrade the power supply.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 11:42am
What the heck is a gpu? Oh, never mind, I'll google it.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 11:49am
I have to upgrade my motherboard first because the one I have now has died but it's outdated.  To upgrade my motherboard I'm probably going to have to upgrade my PSU because it's only 560 W.
The GPU is a video card or something that supplements the video card? I've read mine was outdated so I kind of expect having to replace it.
By the way, what do I do with all of my old hardware when I replace it? The ones that still work?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 12:35pm
Pineapplerum if your current pc is giving you what you need then just change the mobo. if not then get a new pc.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm
Lol. I know. I'm getting carried away. 

Well, actually, it'd be cheaper for me just to upgrade my system instead of getting a new one.  I figure if I spend about $1000 in upgrades than my computer will last for another 3 years without getting too outdated.  Beats buying a new computer that will end up costing me $2000 plus.

Edited by Pineapplerum - 19 Dec 2010 at 12:58pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 2:27pm
well you can change your mobo for around 90 to 200$ depending on what you find the 650i for.

then next year you can upgrade or get a new pc, upgrade would be cheaper you are right about that.

I don't think you need a $1000 tho, about 400 to $600 for mobo cpu, another 150 to $250 for psu, but I think for around $600 you will endup with all 3.

If you want to upgrade the gpu also then ya you are looking at $1000
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 5:31pm
The entire point of having a custom sys is that you have the modularity to swap parts. You can keep your case, fans, CD-drives, some components, and sometimes your cooler. Saves around $400 or so flat. Save some other parts that's more stuff you don't have to get. Heck, you can also sell off your parts used on eBay and maybe make a little dough off that too.

For a standard i7 build now, probably the mobo/cpu would cost $500 or so. PSU would be at max $150. For an i5 build, maybe $420 or so for cpu/psu. RAM needs to be upgraded as well to match the new DDR3 standard, $100 to $150.

Edited by ablahblah - 19 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:12pm
How much ram does the ddr3 need? I have 4G of memory. Do I need more than that?
I think I'll give myself the budget of $1000. If it'll save me from having to buy a whole new computer for a few more years than it's worth the investment. I want to upgrade the motherboard and I guess the CPU to go with it, the PSU and the graphics card. I think that will easily hit the $1000 mark.
Now I just have to figure out how to get all of them to be compatible. I'm confident the DS tech staff will be helpful tomorrow. Yay! I'll finally get to talk with them.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm
Oh, I see, I need the ddr3 memory ram, I gotcha'! Please recommend a not so complicated brand for me. I just read that you'd need to change something in your bios to use a certain kind of ram and I really don't want to have to do that. I'm very low tech and just want to install the hardware and then play. :D
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:33pm
you have 4GB of DDR2 ram, DDR3 is used for new systems, your 4GB of ddr2 will not work in a system that takes DDR3 ram.

if you get a lg775 socket board it will fit what you currently have as far as cpu/ram/etc., it should cost you little.

then you can move to a new platform next year.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Dec 2010 at 6:33pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 6:40pm
Lol, I am so in over my head, I have no idea what the heck everything means but I'm having fun. New platform? You mean changing my windows?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 7:28pm
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor

EVGA X58 SLI 3 Motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA III 6 GB/s - Two Year Warranty 131-GT-E767-TR

Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-Watt HX Professional Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Core i7 and Core i5

EVGA GeForce GTX470 1280 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card 012-P3-1470-AR

CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin DDR3 CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - TW3X4G1333C9DHX

That's what I'm guessing. I'll upgrade my operating system next year like you suggested.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 7:43pm
platform is not windows.

ok look, you see how you posted the i7 cpu in your post, lets go over it:

Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 Desktop Processor

intel chip

the chip's name is core i7

model 950

the speed of this chip is 3.06GHz

the amount of L3 cache for this chips is 8MB

the socket that this chip will fit into is 1366, this means that motherboard needs to be a socket 1366 to fit this chip in.

now what I'm saying is that your current pc is a socket lga775, your q6600 is socket lga775, any motherboard that is socket lg775 for core 2 quad, will fit your cpu.

why don't you instead of upgrading now, just change your socket lga775 nvidia 650i motherboard with a say lga775 nvidia 750i motherboard, this will cost you like $80 or something like that, and since its a socket lga775, it will fit your cpu/ram and etc, then you can upgrade next year when you actually need the pc.

as far as the parts you listed, they are fine, just change your ram to this its faster both on speed and latency

if you don't care much for the latency and want to save some money then get this

latency is important but not that important in your use.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 12:56pm
Okay, okay, okay. I'll just get the mobo then. But what if it's a 8 pin atx and I need a 4 pin atx? We're back to that again. Here's what I picked out according to your advice. Which I really appreciate. 

XFX nForce 750i SLI - Motherboard - ATX - nForce 750i SLI - LGA775 Socket - UDMA133, SATA-300 (RAID), eSATA - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - HD Audio (8-channel)

The font is different cause I just copied and pasted it. 

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 1:11pm
That's the only one I can find that's not out of stock but it costs close to $300. :(
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 1:23pm
Know what, everyone is out of stock of this item and nobody sells the 650i anymore either since the ebay guy has already sold his to another person. This is beyond frustrating. I just want a computer that works at this point. I'm tired of trying to figure this out.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:00pm
Ok first I want to make sure that you understand that I'm just giving you ideas of what you can do, please don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do, so make sure you do what you like to do at the end.

now as for the 750i mobo, I like amazon like you but another good place to get pc parts is newegg, creditable place.

here ou can find many 750i mobos but don't order any, pipic the one you like and let us make sure it will fit your current setup.

so now go to the link I provided couple of lines up and see which you like.

looking at most of them, looks like the cpu atx is a p4 (4 pin)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pineapplerum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:59pm
DST, You've been such an angel helping me out as you have. Love  I thought about what you said about waiting until next year to upgrade and I think you're right.  By next year anything I buy new now will probably be outdated by then.  I decided to just buy the same mobo as before because I found one for sale for a ridiculous $40 plus $12 shipping.  With that low price I won't mind having to replace it next year when I do upgrade.
So, I'm going to stick to the 650i for another year. I'm going to research all of the other things you've taught me and try to become more knowledgable about what kind of specs I need and what is compatible with what. 
This experience has taught me how much I don't know about computers and what I should learn.
Thanks for all of your help. I may drop in to let you know how the switching of the boards went. It should be interesting but I'm sure I can manage.
Really, you've been great. Awesome  Much appreciated.  Awesome
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 4:13pm
My pleasure and good luck besure to keep us up to date.

Ya that was my whole point, why buy this year if you need it next year, get it next year, then you get newest stuff and newest technology.
 Post Reply Post Reply