Post Date: 2019-03-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
YnProdigy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YnProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading Pc Advise pls
    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:11pm
I don't know much about computers lol I purchased the Vanquish 7 level 1 pc a while back and I want to upgrade it. Is it okay to change Ram alone or do i need to upgrade it alongside another component as well? Also, can anyone recommend me parts i can buy to upgrade my pc? These are my current parts

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (4 Core)
Motherboard: AMD A320M
Ram: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX Vega 11 graphics

Gerson.
YnProdigy View Drop Down

Quote YnProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 4:18pm
This is the rest of my parts
Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 7 - Level 1 (MPN-2400G-APU)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (4-Core) (Boost Up to 3.9 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI (AMD A320M Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 8GB DDR4 Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AMD Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Gerson.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:58pm
Welcome to the forum YnProdigy!

I believe whichever brand and model your motherboard is, think it will only have 2 RAM slots, so to upgrade your DDR4 DS RAM from 8 gb to 16 gb you prob will need to replace your 2 x 4 gb sticks with 2 x 8gb sticks.   16 gb total should be plenty.   RAM is installed in matching pairs from a compatible list that can work with your motherboard.
You could order it from DS, or from any RAM manufacturer like Corsair, Crucial, Adata, Mushkin...and it’s an easy install that snaps in place.   You should ask DS exactly what motherboard brand & model you got, what RAM speed and timings your current DS RAM has so you can buy something equally stable.   

Once you know the right details, you could get new RAM from any online retailer like Newegg etc.   For example one of older my DS rigs uses 4 x 4gb DDR3 3200 with timings 9-9-9-24.... on a motherboard that has 8 RAM slots. I could buy 2 x 4gb sets, 2 x 8 gb sets, or 2 x 16gb sets and add them if I needed a lot. You are likely on a 2 slot board so you’ll be replacing yours with 2 larger sticks.

The manufacturers will have RAM configuration tool you could also try...some need those motherboard details...some can scan your system to suggest RAM sets to buy.

As to other components in your rig...what do you want to upgrade?
A video card upgrade might offer the most noticeable positive change....

Edited by HockeyBuck - 01 Mar 2019 at 6:21pm
YnProdigy View Drop Down

Quote YnProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome to the forum YnProdigy!

I believe whichever brand and model your motherboard is, think it will only have 2 RAM slots, so to upgrade your DDR4 DS RAM from 8 gb to 16 gb you prob will need to replace your 2 x 4 gb sticks with 2 x 8gb sticks.   16 gb total should be plenty.   RAM is installed in matching pairs from a compatible list that can work with your motherboard.
You could order it from DS, or from any RAM manufacturer like Corsair, Crucial, Adata, Mushkin...and it’s an easy install that snaps in place.   You should ask DS exactly what motherboard brand & model you got, what RAM speed and timings your current DS RAM has so you can buy something equally stable.   

Once you know the right details, you could get new RAM from any online retailer like Newegg etc.   For example one of older my DS rigs uses 4 x 4gb DDR3 3200 with timings 9-9-9-24....

The manufacturers will have RAM configuration tool you could also try...some need those motherboard details...some can scan your system to suggest RAM sets to buy.

Thank you for explaining, I'll look into what you said i appreciate the help :)   
configot View Drop Down

Quote configot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:30am
You should upgrade your video card to whatever your budget is and also ram to 16GB
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 12:45pm
Look up your exact board, some boards support certain speeds or limit RAM speed. I know Ryzen the sweet spot for current DDR4 ram is 3200MHZ. So do keep that in mind when shopping :)
YnProdigy View Drop Down

Quote YnProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Psyoshi

Look up your exact board, some boards support certain speeds or limit RAM speed. I know Ryzen the sweet spot for current DDR4 ram is 3200MHZ. So do keep that in mind when shopping :)

Just ordered some today thanks!
Gerson.
 Post Reply Post Reply