FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading

Post Date: 2020-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BloodyRose0556 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BloodyRose0556 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading
    Posted: 30 May 2020 at 9:16pm
Alright so I’m new to this whole pc thing, I recently bought a lvl 1 Lynx and was wondering if I should upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 10:39pm
Did you already receive it? If not you might upgrade it now.

IMO you should upgrade it to 16GB at the earliest opportunity.
BloodyRose0556 View Drop Down

Quote BloodyRose0556 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:25pm
I did receive it about 5 days ago and should I use the Corsair vengeance 16gb? Or is there a cheaper brand but same quality
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:16am
The first thing on your agenda should be upgrading to a discreet graphics card. Not having 16Gb of RAM will not hold you back significantly for quite some time. Every game I'm aquainted with will run on 8GB just fine. When the time comes, you should know the mobo you have will run 2666 MHz DDr4. RAM is high quality from just about every maker. You are safe to shop around for the best deal you can find.

You might consider getting just a basic video card right now like an Nvidia 1650, or an AMD RX 570, (about $150) Or you could stretch your budget and get something like a 1660 SUPER that would be better for longer at around $240.

The next thing you should want before RAM would be a M.2 form factor NVMe SSD hard drive. It's about the size of a short pocket comb, comes in all kinds of capacities, and can be had in a 250GB size for around $60.

A GPU and an SSD will have you gaming for real like you paid a whole lot more. More RAM can wait awhile, IMO.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Cretae

... The next thing you should want before RAM would be a M.2 form factor NVMe SSD hard drive. It's about the size of a short pocket comb, comes in all kinds of capacities, and can be had in a 250GB size for around $60...

Cretae, does the Lynx lvl 1 support the NVMe SSDs? The lvl 1 is currently "out of stock" so they won't let me use the configurator to check out the mobo...
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:24am
It's a pretty basic motherboard, but I believe I checked it out when someone else asked about it, and it has one M.2 slot. IIRC, it's the same mobo as the Level 2, and that says it has one. It also says that an NVMe would run as a PCIe 2.0 (instead of 3.0) in that slot, but I doubt that would hold it back too much. DS would know.
Good question.
 Post Reply Post Reply