FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading to Windows 11

Post Date: 2021-10-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Weenieboy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Weenieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Upgrading to Windows 11
    Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 12:36pm
Upon running PC Health Check, it determined that my 4 year old Digital Storm Aventum 3 is not compatible with Windows 11 because my Intel Core i7-6950X @ 3.00GHz isn't supported. I called Digital Storm tech support and the advise I was given was to buy a new computer! I recognize that this is a MicroSoft issue, but I had expected better support for a $10,000+ 4 year old PC! Is anyone else facing this problem and do you know if Digital Storm will provide support beyond, "Buy a new computer"?
JMPrice
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
I am upgrading to a new Digital Storm computer to replace my 12 year old DS beast. it is an i7 OC 3.6 with an original Titan. Only had to replace 2 fans over the 12 year service life so far. I am 69 and figured it was time to buy a new one anyhow. I understand how somebody with a pretty new system feels about Windows 11. There are multi conditions that have to be met to get Win 11 working from what I have read including a motherboard that allows "TPM" or something like that. Other conditions that I was obviously behind on after 12 years.

It is sad that Microsoft decided to come out with an software upgrade that won't run on anything less than a couple years old. I imagine a lot of people will continue running Windows 10 till Microsoft drops support on it which they say ends on Oct 14 2025. Who knows if they will extend that date.

I don't know what any of us can do other than rebuild a system that will run Windows 11 or stay on Windows 10.

I don't know what Digital Storm could do about it other than build us a new system if we want Win 11. Easy for me since mine was old but if I were you I wouldn't mess with Win 11 and stay on Win 10 rather than having to jump through hoops just to get Win 11 to work. It is that evil Microsoft that is behind the required hardware upgrades to run it.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

...It is sad that Microsoft decided to come out with an software upgrade that won't run on anything less than a couple years old. I imagine a lot of people will continue running Windows 10 till Microsoft drops support on it which they say ends on Oct 14 2025. Who knows if they will extend that date.

It is that evil Microsoft that is behind the required hardware upgrades to run it.

It seems, from what little I know of the situation, that Micro$oft is taking lessons from the fine folks over at Apple with their planned obsolescence. At least they're not charging exorbitant prices for their new technology they way that Mr. Jobs n Co have done over the years.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm
Snaike,

I know I am excited for my new system to arrive. I have been reading reviews on the individual components in it and reading the occasional grief people have with Win 11 and getting everything to work the same as it did with Win 10.

Oh well, I am 69 and as long as the new beast arrives while I am on God's shiny side of the Earth I am good. I will deal with the weirdness of OS upgrades and watch how the pros figure out how to fix all the bugs.

Most importantly, I am sure looking forward to my first SSD and a nicely configured system thanks to Cretae and the emotional support from fine folks here in Digital Storm Forum.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Weenieboy

Upon running PC Health Check, it determined that my 4 year old Digital Storm Aventum 3 is not compatible with Windows 11 because my Intel Core i7-6950X @ 3.00GHz isn't supported. I called Digital Storm tech support and the advise I was given was to buy a new computer! I recognize that this is a MicroSoft issue, but I had expected better support for a $10,000+ 4 year old PC! Is anyone else facing this problem and do you know if Digital Storm will provide support beyond, "Buy a new computer"?

That doesn't sound like the Digital Storm that we've all come to know and love.

You could verify this directly with both Alex (CS) and Stellar (Tech) via email to get their policy directly.

[email protected], [email protected].. is where I would go from here.

Edited by Snaike - 24 Oct 2021 at 7:14pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:00am
I don't quite get there's an issue. Win 10 came out mid-2015, and will be supported fully for just over 10 years. I have a rig dating from late 2017, and I intend to stay with Win 10 until I buy my next DS computer. Something wrong with that? Just about everyone who comes here looking for advice on a build does so because they want to play the latest games/software because games/software didn't stand still over the years since they had their old rig. What's different in this case?

Just like Cyberpunk 2077, Win 11 won't run on an old computer. And the difference is...? The only solution is not to build a whole new rig. You can always not BUY Cyberpunk 2077 (Win 11). You can also upgrade the parts you have in order to run Cyberpunk 2077 (Win 11).

Whenever anyone has purchased a DS computer, I assume they knew it would one day be unable to run the newest software in just about every category I can think of. Every game I've ever seen has minimum system requirements. So does Microsoft. This the nature of the technology, and has nothing to do with DS support.

BTW, OP's rig may be 4 years old, but he chose to buy a proc that is now 5 1/2 years old. May, 2016. That's why it's not compatible: no TPM.

Edited by Cretae - 25 Oct 2021 at 7:19am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 1:07pm
@Weenieboy,

I'm sorry to hear about your support experience, I would like to look into this further, could you please kindly email me directly ([email protected]) with your order information and what day and even time range you spoke with our team?

In regards to Windows 11, if your current hardware isn't supported, the best bet is to upgrade your processor to a newer model, however, there are unofficial workarounds that seem to allow individuals to get through it, but we cannot officially provide instructions for our customers on how to do this.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 3:07pm
WIN10 fulfills all my computing needs. I see no urgent need to upgrade to WIN11 until I buy a new computer, which should be several years down the road, given that my new LUMOS is only 2 years old.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 4:16am
I still use W7U in my Aventum and love it.
Have W10 Pro in other newer systems and not impressed with the limitations. I imagine W11 will be worse in that respect but it is the future (until W12 comes out. lol)
OldMainframeGuy View Drop Down

Quote OldMainframeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Snaike

Originally posted by Weenieboy

That doesn't sound like the Digital Storm that we've all come to know and love.

You could verify this directly with both Alex (CS) and Stellar (Tech) via email to get their policy directly.

[email protected], [email protected].. is where I would go from here.

A bit off-topic I suppose but I had a simple question about my new VELOX machine and sent e-mail to [email protected] almost a month ago; no response.  Is this an official support e-mail address?

As far as Windows 11 goes, my new Velox will support it but I'm going to wait a while.  It seems to be getting a  lot of "meh" reviews and I don't see any compelling new features worth the upgrade right now.

Rob
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:39am
If you've not seen a response from Stellar you can send your questions to Alex. I'm certain he will get the answers that you need.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 12:09pm
Email me.

Quote OldMainframeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Alex

Email me.
Alex:  E-mail sent; thanks for your help.

Rob
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 4:20am
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 5:21pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:14am

Smile
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 4:07pm
God Bless the Digitals Storm Forum Members!
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:04am
I have a Lumos that was ordered in April 2020 so it's almost two years old. It says that my computer does not meet the requirements for Windows 11. So, same boat as you.

Edited by Scambush - 14 Feb 2022 at 5:04am

Quote OldMainframeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:30am
My newish VELOX has been ready for Windows 11 since day 1 but I'm in no hurry to upgrade.   From what I can see, it's Windows 10 with added dopey fluff and loss of functionality.   Windows 10 is running great.  This is the first time I've ever held back upgrading Windows.
Scambush View Drop Down

Quote Scambush Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:18am
Originally posted by OldMainframeGuy

My newish VELOX has been ready for Windows 11 since day 1 but I'm in no hurry to upgrade.   From what I can see, it's Windows 10 with added dopey fluff and loss of functionality.   Windows 10 is running great.  This is the first time I've ever held back upgrading Windows.

Fair point, I didn't read anything about how W11 is going to make everything better all of a sudden. Unless it will allow Microsoft Flight Simulator to run 120 fps in VR and never CTD I don't see that happening.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Scambush

I have a Lumos that was ordered in April 2020 so it's almost two years old. It says that my computer does not meet the requirements for Windows 11. So, same boat as you.

Chances are your issue installing Win11 is that TPM 2.0, Trusted Platform security, was never enabled on the motherboard because it wasn’t needed until now.   Go into system Bios/UEFI, and find and enable TPM2.0.    Use your motherboard manual for instructions on getting into UEFI.   I had the same message and fixed it with a few keystrokes.

Good luck.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Originally posted by Scambush

Chances are your issue installing Win11 is that TPM 2.0, Trusted Platform security, was never enabled on the motherboard because it wasn’t needed until now.   Go into system Bios/UEFI, and find and enable TPM2.0.    Use your motherboard manual for instructions on getting into UEFI.   I had the same message and fixed it with a few keystrokes.

Good luck.

Well Welcome Back to the Forum bprat22! Missed you sir
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:09pm
Thanks Hockey……appreciate it.    Good seeing you.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:53pm
bprat22,

We are ALL glad to see you back!

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 11:37pm
+1

Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 2:52am
 Post Reply Post Reply