FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UPS advice

Post Date: 2021-07-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OldMainframeGuy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OldMainframeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: UPS advice
    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:36am
Greetings. I've got a couple of DS computers on order (Velox & Bolt-X). I need to replace my aging APC BackUPS device. Neither of the two UPS' I'm thinking of buying (one from APC, the other from CyberPower) outputs true sinewave during a power outage.   I noticed that the UPS I could have ordered with my machines (APC) also does not output true sinewave.   My only interested in a UPS is to handle momentary power "glitches" and gracefully shut the machines down during a power failure; I do not expect to run the computers on battery backup during a power failure. Can I assume that neither of these machines require true sinewave to handle those situations?   

Thanks!!

Rob
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 2:58pm
Hi,

I am in an area with frequent short duration power failures and have an APC 1500 which keeps my DS and other systems in the house running totally unaffected until we go and shut down. IMO it is better if you shut down the system yourself than if you allow the UPS to do so (I didn't know they could do that). Haven't noticed any issues at all.
OldMainframeGuy View Drop Down

Quote OldMainframeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 5:20pm
Yes, a UPS can shut down your system; you need to connect the UPS' data port to a USB port on your PC; you can use either Windows built-in software or the UPS vendor's software (like APC's PowerChute) to control what happens during an outage.  If I know a storm is coming I'll shut everything down but when we have a sudden power outage I just want the UPS to shut the machine down by itself.  From what you've said it looks like a true sine wave during an outage is not an issue.

Thanks for your reply.

Rob

Post Reply Post Reply