FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USB Problems after format

Post Date: 2013-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xdactyl View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xdactyl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: USB Problems after format
    Posted: 31 May 2013 at 6:29pm
Hey all

I decided to submit a post here because I'm at my wit's end for a problem I'm having after a recent format on my computer.

First off here are my specs from my order from about 2 years ago:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Elite 430
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 2300 2.80GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI) [Sidenote: on the actual board it shows P8P67 REV 3.1 so I've been downloading drivers for that]
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 500W Digital Storm Certified
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (Model: Blue Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan (Not Recommended for CPU Overclocking)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

I haven't upgraded or changed anything, I just decided it was time for a reformat.

I just got all my old files and programs setup again and came across an issue with my computer not recognized my mice. I'm currently using an older USB Logitech mouse but I continue to get the USB Device not recognized error with my Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, even when installing my mouse drivers from CD it isn't recognized. Shows up as Unknown Device in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. So I went out and purchased a new mouse the Razer Taipan, and I am getting the same errors as with my Intellimouse.

So after doing a fair bit of research this past week, I am left frustrated and defeated. So far my troubleshooting has entailed of:

- Uninstalling all USB Host Controllers and Root Hubs, shutting off computer and unplugging.
- Testing every USB (& 3.0) port on my computer with all 3 mice, only Logitech recognized, my other USB Devices are recognized no problem (Gigabyte keyboard, Logitech Webcam)
- I have tried the Intellimouse/Razer devices on my laptops and both are recognized and installed without problem.
- I have downloaded all updates from Windows Update, downloaded all updates from the Asus support website, and the Intel chipset utilities, and all my devices in DevMgr are showing 'Best driver already installed'
- The Unknown Device Identifier and it still shows Unknown Device with no additional info (PID/VID) for drivers.
- Microsoft Fix-It! For Hardware/Devices/Drivers haven't helped.
- I've updated my BIOS to the most recent version, I also disabled my USB/USB 3.0 Legacy info and my error went from Unknown Device to Unknown USB Device (sadly my only progress)

Before my format my Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 had no problems whatsoever working and installing so I know it's compatible with my computer.

At this point I'm almost ready to have it sent back, as I cannot figure out for the life of me what the problem is.

Any advice or additional info is greatly appreciated! I am more than willing to provide any additional information required for troubleshooting.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 3:34am
You sure have tried just about everything.    You've probably done this, but I would go into Bios and try setting USB to various options, like Enable, Auto, Legacy and each time save the settings and exit.   To me,this is a Bios or driver issue.   Try different drivers, using older ones if you can.     In Device Manager, right click the USB devices and uninstall, reboot and let Windows find drivers.   Sorry if this is what you tried, but just suggesting what I would do.

If all else fails do another Windows re-install.   I have seen where multiple installs are needed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 8:57am
Contact our support team on Monday. They could ask the guys that to OS integration on what it could be. Sending screenshots of device manager and the device ID on the unknown devices will help.
xdactyl View Drop Down

Quote xdactyl Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 9:28am
Thanks guys, I will definitely play around with my USB settings in BIOS to see if I can make any more progress.

I'm a little hesitant towards another format as the most recent one was my 3rd this week. >_<

I will definitely be contacting support on Mon I appreciate the responses guys.

A couple more notes of what I've found since my first post (still hoping for a weekend miracle):

- Before the format I remember always having a Bluetooth icon in my system tray, I don't have any showing currently, I also don't have any Bluetooth Devices/Radios showing in my Device Manager. (I don't believe the mice are bluetooth but something seems fishy) The driver I downloaded was for the P8P67 and it installed successfully but I don't show any icons/category in control panel.

- When installing my chipset when I run it I just did the AsusSetup.exe from the home folder, so I'm not sure if I need to run anything else there, but when I open up the subfolders, USB and USBcopy are there and I have tried to run the AsusSetup.exe and I get a "does not support this operating system wnt_6.0H_64_mce" error message. For that I'm not sure if it doesn't matter since I already installed the main chipset drivers/updates or if this is actually the reason I can't get my mice to work. Running them in compatibility for anything down to WinXP hasn't done anything as of yet. I will definitely keep you updated and if anyone has any insight to anything new please feel free.
 Post Reply Post Reply