Using 46" sony as display

Post Date: 2009-02-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
paraguy1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote paraguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Using 46" sony as display
    Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 4:27pm
Well folks I will finally have my PC back on monday. After having the mombo replaced to EVGA and my os reloaded my triple sli (3x gtx-280's) 3D admark score 28000  beast will be ready to go. I have the DVI-D to HDMI connection so I can use my new Sony 46" (KDL-46Z4100) as a display. My question is what should I put for my settings for the GPU? Im not sure what the native resolution is for the TV is that what I should put the resolution to on the PC once I find out the native res for the Sony? Is there anything else I should know before I attempt this I dont want to harm my TV out of my ignorance on doing this. I am thinking I just should set the GPU to the native res of the Sony.  This really is just a secondary connection because I do have a 24" samsung 245T but its hard to go back to this after playing (360) call of duty on my 46" sony. Also sorry I know I posted a similiar thread a while back but I cant seem to find it. Thanks in advance guys lets hope my system doesnt have to go back anytime soon. 

Edited by paraguy1 - 07 Feb 2009 at 4:37pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 4:38pm
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328183,00.asp
Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Max PC Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Daygn View Drop Down

Quote Daygn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 5:34pm

Well the first thing you should have done is bought a Samsung 850 or 950 series hdtv. I did recommend them to you over the sony cause the picture and color quality are superior and when it comes to hdtv's I know my stuff. But I did try to help.

I would like to know why you got such a low end hdtv when you went all out on your pc?? You could have gotten an XBR6 for $400 more or an XBR7 for $800 more and your games/movies would look 10 times better?????
BB
paraguy1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paraguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 6:03pm
I bought this tv in august 2008 before the xbr's were out and before I was even a forum member so you couldnt have advised me on my purchase. At the time it was sony's best 46" plus I got a friends discount. And the picture quality is great I dont know what you guys are talking about everyone that comes over is just amazed at the picture quality but if you dont have them set right they can look like crap I had a tech person set it up. A buddy of mine has the new xbr and the picture is not 10 times better but I would have bought it but needed a new tv right then and couldnt wait another 4 months. 

Edited by paraguy1 - 07 Feb 2009 at 6:12pm
Daygn View Drop Down

Quote Daygn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by paraguy1

I bought this tv in august 2008 before the xbr's were out and before I was even a forum member so you couldnt have advised me on my purchase. At the time it was sony's best 46" plus I got a friends discount. And the picture quality is great I dont know what you guys are talking about everyone that comes over is just amazed at the picture quality but if you dont have them set right they can look like crap I had a tech person set it up. A buddy of mine has the new xbr and the picture is not 10 times better but I would have bought it but needed a new tv right then and couldnt wait another 4 months. 

Didnt you have a topic about a month ago about what hdtv you should buy to hook your pc up to and that you were leaning towards the 46" sony??? Maybe I am confusing you with some one else but I could sware it was you.

The XBR 6/7's have been out for a while now and the one that just came out is the 8 series and the 240Hz 7 series. I was at BestBuy in September comparing the XBR6/7's with the Samsung 850 series that was released in sept. When you checked out the XBR's did you reset the tv and take it off of store setup and put it on home set up and configure the settings?? Dont get me wrong the picture your tv produces is good but the XBR's do blow it away and the Sam. 850 Tops all of the tv's I have mentioned but still have not tweaked a 240Hz 7 yet. 
BB
paraguy1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paraguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 5:26pm
Ya I read that thread too it was someone else cant remember who though. I would have bought the XBR model but the clerk said it would be another 4 months. The sony I bought wasnt even out on display yet the clerk never heard of the model before I showed him the spec sheet on all the new sonys. They had just come in stock (no xbr's thought I even went through all the stock and what was due.) I am very happy though with this 46" sony. I originally prurchased the 24" samsung syncmaster 245T ( best 24" display avail) for my new PC but I should have just bought the 30" which is what I will probably due and then buy a new 60" tv next yearErmm
Daygn View Drop Down

Quote Daygn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 7:49pm
I did the same thing, I bought the samsung t240 monitor the same day I bought my LN52A850 hdtv. I should have just bought the tv and hooked my pc to it instead of the monitor. Also bought my DS rigg an hour before the displays
BB
Kristie View Drop Down

Quote Kristie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Daygn

Well the first thing you should have done is bought a Samsung 850 or 950 series hdtv. I did recommend them to you over the sony cause the picture and color quality are superior and when it comes to hdtv's I know my stuff. But I did try to help.

I would like to know why you got such a low end hdtv when you went all out on your pc?? You could have gotten an XBR6 for $400 more or an XBR7 for $800 more and your games/movies would look 10 times better?????

I totally agree; Samsung LCD's are really nice and we have an 860(an 850 but with the blue border) and the picture is like wow. Also with any flat-panel, no matter how much it costs, you should really, really get calibration if it's offered. At first I thought it was just something that Best Buy could add on to take more money from you(which wouldn't surprise me at all lol) but the difference is like night and day, especially since it gets rid of the fuzzyness :)

Edited by Kristie - 10 Feb 2009 at 3:59pm
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 3:14pm
Daygn knows tv's? We need to talk! I'm in the market for a tv, and im very partial to the Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD, ive been able to get a price of 900 before taxes on it. Ive seen the quality and to me it looks good, and it has enough hdmi ports to support all my consoles. Thoughts on this? And why? I'm looking to go 40 inch, LCD...I will be gaming on it, mainly consoles, but I may or may not hook my computer to it in the future,

Sorry to hijack your thread paraguy, Daygn can e-mail me his response so we don't take over. =)
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 6:00pm
Sarah from my experience I love the Samsungs really, Sony sometimes over prices their products. I have a 46" Samsung and absolutely love it. Ouch
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 6:04pm
I see nothing here that can touch my pioneer elite plasma for hdtv

oy vay

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Feb 2009 at 6:04pm
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 7:41pm
ok Pioneers are beyond the touch of anything and if I had the cash to spend that is exactly what I would get a Pioneer Elite Kuro would be absolutely awesome to have and its the best HDTV out there. Its amazing what they have achieved with that, but the prices are just too expensive to justify it. I will be setting up a home theatre in about 4-5years time, but will be going with whatever projector is out then, and maybe if I can get the money get a Pioneer plasma if that is available then for normal TV viewing. 
Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive - Lucifer
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 7:53pm
Ya they are high price but damn they have a great pic
Daygn View Drop Down

Quote Daygn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Sarah

Daygn knows tv's? We need to talk! I'm in the market for a tv, and im very partial to the Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD, ive been able to get a price of 900 before taxes on it. Ive seen the quality and to me it looks good, and it has enough hdmi ports to support all my consoles. Thoughts on this? And why? I'm looking to go 40 inch, LCD...I will be gaming on it, mainly consoles, but I may or may not hook my computer to it in the future, Sorry to hijack your thread paraguy, Daygn can e-mail me his response so we don't take over. =)

Yeah, I am fairly knowledgeable when It comes to HDTV's. I to love my Samsung tv and Samuel is right, you not only pay for your tv, you also have to pay the " Sony tax" as I call it. I have always loved Sony's tv's and they do make VARY high quality sets. It is a hobbie of mine to research display tech and have been doing it for years. It took me three years to find a tv that blew me away with its picture quality and color specturm and the XBR7 just didnt have as good of a color range or as clear of a picture. There is two things you need to know about buying hdtv's(1 ALL tv's have a special picture setting for retail stores to use and when you see it in the store it is not on the same setting you will be using when you get it home and will look vary different. So make shure you reset the tv and view it with the settings you will be using.(2 The way my eyes see things and the way your eye's see things is total different. So go with the one that looks best to you after testing. Please post the model # of the Sony and I will make shure you get the best for your money.
BB
Samael View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Samael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 11:45am
Sony tax, that made me laugh!!Thumbs%20Down
thorndike View Drop Down

Quote thorndike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 11:50am
concur with everybody here.  At least at the bestbuy I went couple months ago, SONY's HDTV did not look as nice as Toshiba or Samsung.
BillDempsey View Drop Down

Quote BillDempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 6:48pm
Bought an XBR 52" - once calibrated, it looks incredible.

I agree on the need for calibration. If you don't want to calibrate it, Samsung generally has the best out-of-box calibration (closest to correct). If you plan to calibrate, just look for what looks best to you.

For an HD1080p set, the resolution on your video card should be set to 1920x1080.

For 720p displays, it often varies, so you have to look at the manual to find the "native resolution" of the panel. I've seen quite a few that are 1368x768, which is actually slightly different than true 720p panels should be. I think the HD spec says 1280x720 is the correct resolution for 720p. So, the point is, check your manual for the panel's native resolution.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply