FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using rescue disc image

Post Date: 2010-01-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nephron3 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nephron3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Using rescue disc image
    Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 8:25pm
When restoring the original install with the rescue disc provided by DS, what is restored exactly? My specific concerns relate to the os drive and storage drive data.

1) if the computer came originally comfigured with the os drive in raid and I wanted to, let's say, change to 2 stand alone drives instead; could I put both drives in achi mode and use the restore disc on just one of the drives or will the restore disc restore the original raid configuration. Sorry if the question is ignorant but I guess I'm wondering if the restore image is purely the os clean install or if it also sets bios settings? Is any formatting (full or otherwise) done or is it simply an erase and re-writing of saved image type function?

2) in a similar vein does performing a restore from the rescue disc make any changes to the storage drive data (assuming one is present or has been added since the original rescue disc was made) or is the os drive the only one effected?

As always thanks to everyone who takes the time to educate the less initiated among us.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 3:20am
Our pleasure

1. as far as I know you can only restore to raid, for a single drive you will need to fresh install, but if I'm wrong,I'm sure somebody will correct me.

2. if you use the restore disk, your os drive will go back to the first day you go it, if you have another drive that is independent of your raid/os drive then nothing will happen to it.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Jan 2010 at 3:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply