Post Date: 2014-03-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanq3 questions
    Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 4:57am
[wall of text]

Hey groupies,

I have recently been informed that I may have to step down my expectations of a new computer... ("She who must be obeyed" has spoken.)

Vanquish 3:  If I decide to add an SSD myself (such as the one below) would the PSU still be enough?  Or, conversely, what do I have to add to start the Corsair 600 sweating?

Performance questions:

Bear in mind that I am now working on a 10 year old machine. I can currently play PoE, Hearthstone and World of Tanks (at 20fps in the open to ~1fps in heavy combat or heavy foliage).  I have a 2.8Ghz Pent4, 4G Ram and a Radeon HD2400 ATI GPU.  The only things I have done to this computer is change the chipfan, install the GPU and added RAM from 256k to 4gb (because that's it's maximum).  Still runs WinXP.

Now that my circumstances in life have changed I have more time to get back into gaming.  It has been mostly MMORPGs.  Played UnderLight, EQ, EQ2, WoW, etc mostly until their expansions outstripped my machine's capabilities.  I have 'toons' on each of those games that I just had to abandon because I could no longer play.

What I want to get into, of the current crop that I see, are games in the "Open World" genre;  Skyrim (not the ONLINE version, ~yet~), Day Z, etc.  What I don't do, and have no desire to play, is FPSs such as BF4 and other 'group dependent' FPS.  I am too old and too cantankerous to try to run with a bunch of kids to see whose 'twitch reflex' is faster.  I prefer the World of Tanks style where you are part of a team but the team as a whole doesn't really communicate and you can still go off and affect the outcome with single player play.  (Convoluted logic?  /shrug)

What I don't want to happen is I don't want to have this new machine be outstripped of it's capabilities by the next generations of games.  So, the question basically boils down to .... how well should the Vanq3 hold it's own in the gaming market in the future?  I know that speculation, but, again, I'm just getting back into gaming and I need to reassure myself and 'She who must be obeyed' that another computer purchase isn't in our near future (2 years) plans.

Thanks for reading my wall, sorry to take up your time.

[/wall of text]

TL:dr -- SSD draw much power?  New games run well on Vanq3?

Edited by Snaike - 06 Mar 2014 at 5:27am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:00am
Hi Snaike...  The Vanquish 3 will give you very good gaming on a single 1920x1080 monitor or less.   The V4 does have the gtx 770 for about a 20% better fps and the overclocked cpu but,  V3 still gets it done.  Gtx 760 is an excellent card.    Skyrim for example will have no problems.  

Here's a link comparing the 760 to the 770.....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1037

SSDs draw very little power.  Adding a drive is no problem at all for the psu.

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Mar 2014 at 6:02am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:19am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Snaike...  The Vanquish 3 will give you very good gaming on a single 1920x1080 monitor or less. 

Thank you for the information on the SSDs.  That is very helpful.

Your response raised another question for me.  I currently have an LG Flatron E2041 monitor.  Had it for about three years and I really like it.  I would like to use this monitor as a secondary monitor on a gaming system to cut back on the "alt-tabs" that plague my game play.  If I were to include the 1920x1080 monitor mentioned above, would I still be able to generally surf on the LG 20"?  Or will there be a significant performance drop?

Thanks again.  (Are you sure you're not on DS payroll?  Perhaps you should be!) Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:25am
  Thanks again.  (Are you sure you're not on DS payroll?  Perhaps you should be!) Big%20Smile

LOL 

Using a second monitor for surfing shouldn't impact gaming too much.  Obviously, any other rendering needed for the 2nd monitor is added work for the gtx 760, but I wouldn't think it would be very much.  I game and surf at different times, so never tried it. Hahaha       Too much work. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Mar 2014 at 6:26am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 1:43am
Another question, if I may...

My old machine has 4GB RAM (iirc, only utilizing 80% or 3.2GB* due to OEM limitations).  My task manager is constantly riding at 100% slowing everything down, as you would expect.

When I purchase the Vanq3 (or 4, fingers crossed!) I see they have "8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series."  Should I wish to have 16GB, would I be able to purchase the same memory from DS to install myself?

Even though these are prepackaged systems, is installing it something DS would do?  I'm not uncomfortable inside a computer... well, not much.

My understanding is that mixing RAM is not a good idea and I'd like to have the same type/kind/speed throughout.

I am really tired of seeing that little green line ride the top of the box everytime I look at the task manager.... 

*(Or 95% or 3.8GB...)  Point is, the 4GB is not 4GB on this machine.

Edited by Snaike - 07 Mar 2014 at 2:28am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 2:49am
DS will sell you ram sticks but you could, if needed later, go to Crucial, Corsair, etc websites and use their memory compatibility tools to find what you need. They scan your rig and give you suggestions. They guarantee what they suggest.

Your right, no changes to Vanquish while ordering.   8gb should be all you need for gaming.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:17am
Thanks for all your help, bprat.. but.. really....  2:49am?  Either you're a) an insomniac, b) working graveyard shift, c) somewhere in Europe or d) have your computer wake you up everytime someone posts a question on the DS Forums.. (which is my guess!!!)

Hahaha  Thanks again. 

Edit... I typed "shift" above but when I posted it there was, shall we say .. err..one letter left out and then the system filtered the profanity... but I really typed "shift"!!!!

Edited by Snaike - 07 Mar 2014 at 3:23am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:42am
   I love it.

Actually, it's all of the above... I'm an insomniac juiced up on 'caf pow', work graveyard in Crimea and am wired to my rig for jolts with every post.

SHI#t ! There it goes again.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 6:13am
Lol you never know it could have been 5 a.m his time and 2 am your time, we all live in different time zones.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 6:23am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Lol you never know it could have been 5 a.m his time and 2 am your time, we all live in different time zones.
Oh, I know... yet and still, who in the world pops out of bed at 0500 just to answer questions on a forum... well, I say 'who' perhaps I should say 'who, besides bprat'  Big%20Smile
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 6:29am
What bed??      Alex and Nav have me Ty-wrapped to my computer chair .  LOL 
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 6:32am

Whoa Woah... that explains a LOT!  Hahaha
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 8:21am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 9:04am

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 1:07pm
I suppose the next logical question.. to Alex... is:

"Who is Ty and why does he wrap bprat to his computer chair?"

WAIT! No.. nevermind.. I really don't want to know!

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 5:37pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 7:24pm
 LOL
manowar09 View Drop Down

Quote manowar09 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 10:19pm
If you want the computer to last the longest you should probably get the best you afford in your budget.  The GTX 760 is a great card, it can max most games at 1080p right now.  If your going to be sticking to games like WoW and World of Tanks, POE etc, basically the games you listed it willl be great for them all. 

If your looking to try a lot more newer games, the gtx 760 will still do you good.

The way I look at is, your gonna spend the extra money to upgrade eventually.  It just depends if you pay more up front or more later.

I went for a vanq 3 myself. I also have the wife watching my budget, and since we both game, I couldnt get anything to much better then her otherwise she'd get way to jelous Evil  To me, the price difference wasnt really worth it.  I was not interested in overclocking which is possible in with the V4.  And the video card performance is not that big of a difference.  I figure when I get a more powerful card I'd rather rate to see how the gtx 8 series or maybe even wait for the 9 series before upgrading again.

Playing around in your computer and swapping out parts is not as scary as it seems.  We were all noobs at one time and, I doubt you want to ship your whole rig back to DS just to install some ram and be out of a computer for a couple weeks, when you could do it yourself in literally 2 minutes.  Theres tons of good videos on youtube you can watch for any part of the computer your interested in upgrading.  Hey if you get the vanqush, you could always play operation with your old computer before upgrading the vanquish.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 5:22am

Thanks manowar, I appreciate the insight.  No, I'm not afraid to poke around and know just enough to break things thoroughly. 

I think it will be the Vanq3 for me, and as you say, upgrade later.  The budget, due to recent events, is the deciding factor for me.  I'd like to get back into real gaming (AC, Skyrim and DayZ) and figure if games get too intensive at least I'll have a machine I know I can upgrade.  The current machine was built in a 'dead-end' fashion and it left a sour taste when it came to upgrades.

Since I really have no interest in 'twitch games' the 760 will more than suit my needs.

All I need now is the green light from "she who must be obeyed"...

perhaps flowers?
Dakota Red View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Dakota Red Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 9:58am
Here is just a suggestion for you Snaike. Why don't you try the "free-to-play" version of Star Wars: The Old Republic (it should run great on your new Vanq 3 on a 1080p monitor) and see if you like that kind of game (story driven MMO with the ability to solo the whole game). There are all kinds of couples playing together and playing solo at other times. If you like playing this game maybe you could get "she who must be obeyed" to play with you sometimes. One of you could use the other/old computer so you could play the game at the same time. If she enjoys the game too, it might get her more on your side when you want to upgrade your computer in the future. I tried this approach with my last girlfriend, and while I must admit that it did not work (because she had no interest in playing any computer game more advanced than "Farmville"), she did lighten up on resenting the time I spent playing. I didn't hear anymore of those snide remarks.  Wink
Performance matters. Non-Performance is not an option.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 10:36am
Thanks Dakota.. that's a well trodden path in this household. The only other person I could persuade to play computer games (of any kind) was the youngest offspring. "She who must be obeyed" would never lower herself to such a pedestrian form of entertainment.... /sigh

To her, I am Don Quixote embarking on my quest to restore chivalry and she'll have none of it.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
 Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply