FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish 3 level 1 upgrade help

Post Date: 2016-08-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NowHeresRoy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NowHeresRoy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish 3 level 1 upgrade help
    Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:06pm
Hey guys, so i'm looking to upgrade my gaming pc again. Here are the specs so far.

Processor: Intel Core i5-4690k (already upgraded)
Graphics: GeForce GTX 960 4gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte H81 DDR3 1333/1600
Storage: 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 1600(upgraded)
PSU: Corsair 600 watt 80+ (upgraded)

Thats the basics, if you need more info just ask. I am wanting advice on the next component to upgrade. I was thinking about upgrading the GPU next but wanted to make sure the motherboard wasnt going to cause bottlenecking. I believe my memory and processor are sufficent but would like the experts opinion. Have got my eyes on the new GTX 1060 GPU. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:21pm
I think you should be able to run a gtx 1080 in there.I am no expert though but that is my opinion.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:39pm
Which 600w is it? can you link me to the psu you have? is your 4960 oced? if yes to what?

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Aug 2016 at 8:40pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 1:55am
yes, you will bottleneck the 1080, unless you get the frequency running as high as is stable and thermally optimal (depending on your cooling capacity) by overclocking the cpu.   depends on the game, really, how bad the bottleneck will be (if at all).  if you have a "k" sku proc and you aren't oc'ing it you have wasted money and performance that is just lying there waiting for you to use it.  i mean, architecture differences/gains aside, it really comes down to frequency+IPC improvements in the architecture.  will an oc'd Skylake out perform an oc'd Haswell (at the same frequency)?  Yes.  that being said, it's not like you're moving from a 5 yrs old Sandy Bridge, so you're only getting like 5%-ish IPC improvement from the architecture differences.  you do get DMI 3.0 from the chipset with Skylake, which should improve throughput some.  it might be worth it for you to upgrade to Skylake/Z170 chipset.  whyh don't you buy the gpu first and test it out on your current system and see if you get the performance?  try various oc frequencies and see what it looks like in the games you play. 

you'll need to monitor the cpu and gpu usage during game play.  if you see the cpu usage % significantly above that of the gpu then you're probably playing a "cpu bound" game (meaning the performance is more on the cpu than the gpu) and can mean a gpu bottleneck is present.  you should see the gpu just sitting at a certain (lower) percentage, basically waiting on the cpu.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote NowHeresRoy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:12am
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139095&nm_mc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-Corsair-_-17139095&gclid=CKGytaurzc4CFYbZMgod0zgGkw&gclsrc=ds

Here is the link to the PSU that i have. I have not yet overclocked the processor due to still learning more about it and want to make sure i know everything i can about doing it before i try it. I have watched a dozen videos and read more articles on overclocking but have still not been able to bring myself to try it, although when i bought the 4690k thats what i intended to do with it. Maybe you guys can give me some tips on that as well

Also i am using the stock cooler on the processor and read that there was a safe level of overclock with the stock fan. But if overclocking is going to be a bigger improvement than the GPU then I suppose it would be better to buy a cooling system than a new GPU

Edited by NowHeresRoy - 19 Aug 2016 at 4:19am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:37am
Ya your psu will be fine.

try the 1080 I think you will be fine even with the bottleneck.

oc is easy, try a 41 - 43 multiplier and put the vcore around 1.2, disable turbo, then you need to test the the oc with stress programs I'm not allowed to mention on this board. if the pc does not crash or throw errors you are good, if it does raise the vcore a bit.

Always keep an eye out on temps when ocing and testing, if the temps go over 80c you need to stop the test and lower the oc settings.

I can't really help you with your oc to be honest, I constantly bang heads with DS about oc settings and now apps used to test, plus I have ocd and I will drive myself crazy getting the perfect oc, its like crack to me and I'm an addict, I have to consciously try and stay away from it Plus I can't even name apps I want to use.

BTW was it Alex that kept telling me its not a good idea to use linx to test temps? and here is DS tech 50 seconds in the video saying they run linx for 30 min to test temps?????

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Aug 2016 at 4:44am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 2:52pm
don't try and oc on the intel stock cooler.  you need a higher performance cooler for that.  the easiest thing would be to buy a decent air cooler.  the best bang for buck that i know of is the $29 Cooler Master 212 EVO, but make sure it will fit inside your case.  of course, the $90 Noctua D15 is the best air cooler you can buy.  it's also the biggest. 

if you prefer LC, the DS Hydro Lite (a rebranded Swiftech H220x2) is decently good and quiet.  another model (although not as quiet) is the Corsair H100i GTX.

i always prep my cpu oc by taking everything (cpu multiplier, ring bus, voltage, ram, etc.) down to stock values, turn off adaptive voltage (like DST said), and then i under volt the proc until i bsod, just to find out my base vcore.  at which point i'll start increasing the frequency multiplier until i bsod.  i then increase vcore incrementally (don't exceed 1.3V) until no bsod at the last best frequency multiplier.  if temps and vcore are still good, i'll continue to raise the multiplier and vcore 1 step at a time until i get the oc i want.  i'll then fiddle with the ram and ring bus to get a little more performance w/o sacrificing the core oc. 

now stress test.  use whatever DS advises,  i think they use Aida64.  

here's a guide for better step by step: http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 3:04pm
@DST4ME, why are you bringing up old threads into this discussion? I thought we already discussed this?

The video you referenced was from 2014, it's now 2016, hardware and processes have changed since then.

We recommend customers run real world stability tests to see how temps will be during actual use, AIDA64 is a good stability stress test for this. Or, customers can do a video encoding test.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 3:40pm
With all due respect, process have changed only here, not any place else.

I brought it up since That video is on the net and when a user watches it they will run linx to test since that is what DS is doing, no body knows DS no longer does that by watching that video. Its conflicting.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:44pm
it's true that the higher you run your voltage and oc in general, the more cooling you need and the more careful you have to be running the more demanding stress tests. the main thing you want to make sure adaptive voltage control is off/set to manual for any stress testing, because if left on auto the voltage will just get out of control high and can cause damage.    
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote NowHeresRoy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:13am
Was wondering if it would be a better idea to add an ssd and liquid cooler for the CPU instead of new gpu. I can't afford a 1080, the 1060 is pushing my budget. Would I notice a performance increase just by oc minimally and adding the ssd?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:58am
I just realized we responded to rb67 when he said 1080, you didn't.

Go with the 1060 you will be fine.

ssd over your hdd is a great idea but don't just pick any ssd, all ssds are not the same and there some bad ones out there. I would recommend the samsung right now they are boss in speed and quality IMHO. Keep in mind ssd will raise your boot/load speeds, read/write speeds/os speeds a bit, but in games and other stuff it will not do a thing as far as fps goes and things like that.

you don't need a lc cooler for the cpu, just get a good air cooler and you are good to go.

for gaming first thing to add would be gpu.

Quote NowHeresRoy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 12:52pm
Ok I appreciate your help. I have seen an article comparing AMD Radeon RX 480 to the 1060, I haven't used any AMD hardware, what are your thoughts?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:16pm
Go with 1060, rx480 is ok but 1060 is more powerful.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:31pm
definitely get the 1060 unless you can find an RX480 a lot cheaper. 

Samsung has the best performance for the money when it comes to ssd's right now.  go with the EVO model over the PRO, it's close to performance although not the same 10 yrs warranty.   however, it's much cheaper.

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote NowHeresRoy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:55am
Well I have the 1060 on the way, went with the gigabyte windforce.Thanks guys for all the help! God bless!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 1:02pm
Our pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply