Post Date: 2016-01-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lsutow View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lsutow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish 4 Level 3
    Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 4:41pm
I received my Vanquish 4 Level 3 back in September of 2015. In the beginning, the NVidia 970 frequently gave me BSODs in Windows 10. I re-sat the video card and upgraded the NVidia drivers, and things seem to be running smoothly since early December 2015. I hope they stay that way because I initially thought I had a bad video card. I'm still concerned about the NVidia 970 being a potentially bad video card and may need to be replaced.

My question is pertaining to upgrading the SSD hard drive. I would like more SSD HD space versus the other 7200RPM HD that the computer came with. I want to start running my video games (like Fallout 4) using the maximum transfer rates of an SSD drive. I would also like to upgrade the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. The issue that's holding me back are the fact that I think I will void my warranty if I try to do these upgrades myself (like adding another SSD or adding more RAM).

So, my main questions is: Will I void my warranty by doing these upgrades myself?

If I am able to upgrade my SSD hard drive, does it need to be a Samsung or can I use Kingston or another manufacturer?

If I am able to upgrade my RAM, which manufacturer should I use?

What should I do about the now-infrequent BSODs because of the NVidia 970 video card? It's been almost 6 weeks since the last BSOD, but I'm still worried about the video card.

Thank you in advance for any help.

- Intel Core i5 6600K CPU
- NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory
- 250GB Samsung EVO SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM HDD
- Upgraded CPU Air Cooling
- Z170 Motherboard
SoCal65 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SoCal65 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:56am
So, my main questions is: Will I void my warranty by doing these upgrades myself?

http://www.digitalstorm.com/warranty.asp

"C. UPGRADES
Digital Storm gives the customer the freedom to upgrade his or her computer system. If you would like Digital Storm to upgrade your system for you, you will be responsible for shipping costs back and forth, labor costs will be covered to install the hardware in the PC (except custom requests such as installing waterblocks on components or other modifications outside the normal installation process). Please note, if the customer begins to experience issues after the upgrade the customer must remove the suspected hardware in order to obtain warranty service and support. Digital Storm will not offer warranty service for hardware that is not purchased directly."

If I am able to upgrade my SSD hard drive, does it need to be a Samsung or can I use Kingston or another manufacturer?

Get whatever you want that is compatible with the connections in your system.

If I am able to upgrade my RAM, which manufacturer should I use?

If adding to existing memory, for best compatibility get the same brand, size and specs as you already have in the system.

What should I do about the now-infrequent BSODs because of the NVidia 970 video card? It's been almost 6 weeks since the last BSOD, but I'm still worried about the video card.

6 weeks.... seems problem is solved. How do you know it was the card's fault?

My Vanquish 4 Level 4
i5 6600K | EVGA GTX 980 FTW | Adata 16GB DDR4 | Samsung 250GB SSD | 1TB HDD | GA-Z170-HD3P MB | EVGA 750W PS |
Samsung DVD-R/RW | Win 10
 Post Reply Post Reply