Vanquish, A Yoshi Story

Post Date: 2019-02-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish, A Yoshi Story
    Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 8:00pm
SYSTEM ORDERED
Vanquish 7 Ultimate
i7 8700
16GB of RAM (Patriot Viper 2666)
600w Corsair PSU
Asus Z370 Prime-pII

So this whole endeavor all began back on January 2nd of 2019. I was excited to finally get my first real gaming rig, having never built one and outside of workstation desktops I wanted real quality so I ordered from here like so many of you have or most assuredly will soon. Unfortunately I had not taken into consideration the holiday issues or checked the forums prior to my purchase. I went purely on good reviews, order quoted me 10-15 days, all seemed good, payment processed that next day. 14 days in though no movement on my order... so I had reached out. Was given false dates a couple times then reached out to Alex who got my pc sent out quickly.

Once the computer I am so excited, I hook it up, download a couple games and swap over my nvme game drive. First game I boot up, BDO ran smooth, then I launch the Anthem Demo. Suddenly, you would think my computer just got told to answer the meaning of life as it ceases to display an image and hard locks. Alas, my 2070 was stricken dead... Calling tech support I go!

While on the phone with tech support to verify the whole AWR return process, $700 to hold for a replacement GPU that costs $500 is a bit of a gut punch. I notice the physical damage to the internals of the computer at this very moment as I go to remove the GPU to put it in a spare ESD bag I had for it's final resting place. THE CPU Tower was bent, and not like a slight bend but like a forceful bend and bent mounting bracket on the GPU and some slight bowing to the bracket mount slot on the case. Warranty services, then included a new tower cooler with my AWR to get that fixed too. All the while blaming UPS and doing his job protecting the company, Alex did too.
This whole ordeal has soured me a bit for DS sadly.

If anything it has given me the courage and rage to build my own PC next time lol. I did do some major overhauls to the setup since then though. Added 6 Corsair ML120 fans and a H100i RGB Platinum Because the Coolermaster they sent me blocked 2 RAM slots and was horrible at cooling. Upgraded the ram to 32GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz. All said the build runs wonderfully, after the repairs and upgrades were done. Still not quite what my expectations were in some instances bu that is CPU limitations in regards to streaming. Once the Ryzen 3000 comes out I already have it set to build. Most likely make this one a very pretty family PC/ Media Center.

I would post photos with this but it would appear my privileges are restricted from doing that or posting in the reviews thread...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:51am
Thanks for the update and hope it’s all smooth sailing from here on out.

On the positive side, look at all the experience you got.   

Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
Avoiding experiences like this is why I've been a DS customer for my last two systems. I've been pleased so far. After re-reading the warranty agreement, I have to say I'm not pleased with this statement "During the warranty period, Digital Storm will repair or replace, at its sole discretion...". I definitely would not want a defective system repaired. I'd want nothing less than a total refund. Has the choice to repair or replace a bad system always been a DS decision? It seems I read this 3-4 years ago and it was different.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:57pm
Of course they will repair a system before replacing.   If the motherboard goes bad, they install a new one and not build you a new system.     It’s always been like that.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:37pm
To draw an automotive analogy... If the starter goes out on my car before the warranty expires, I expect them to replace the starter, not give me a whole new car.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:33am
I misunderstood the quote I posted. I meant the first 30 days after receiving the computer. During this period does the buyer have the choice to return for repairs or receive a refund if his PC is defective?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 6:23am
I've not seen DS deny a refund within the first 30 days if that's what the customer wants.

That said, and given your experience with the company, why would you rather shop elsewhere rather than have DS make your system right? I don't see any advantage in that.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
I would not. Thx 
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:17pm
Well going for a refund was out of question, once they have built your system they charge a fairly steep "restocking" surcharge if you do refund it. On a $2000 pc it is about $150 you wont get back. So far the pc is running great now. The new GPU has been holding strong with no limitations. Only Metro Exodus has caused it to drop below 60FPS but that was at 1440p with RTX on so yeah lol to be expected. As for my revised cooling solution it has greatly improved. The addition of fans and the AIO has brought my temps to 34.8c while playing a CPU heavy game like Anthem for hours on end. So overall definitely a fan of the airflow solution the 460x case does provide when setup right. I will say that cable management was a bit of a pain though. Would love to post pics if I could T.T

As for the experience lol yeah, I basically rebuilt the system at this point, Only thing I didn't do at this point was run the PSU cables and install the CPU/MOBO. But come July that Ryzen 3000 <3 but the MOBO may wait since DDR5 RAM just got announced by Samsung slated for late this year.

Edited by Psyoshi - 01 Mar 2019 at 1:22pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Alcii

I meant the first 30 days after receiving the computer. During this period does the buyer have the choice to return for repairs or receive a refund if his PC is defective?

Yes of course! It's right there in our terms and conditions, if you have a defective computer within the first 30 days, you have the option for a full refund with no re-stock fee as long as the issue is due to hardware and not a software/windows/user error.

... just fixed the broken quote so the post makes sense. Sorry Alex! ...

Edited by Snaike - 10 Mar 2019 at 11:28am
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 5:16am
Thanks Alex. 
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:08pm
Update 4/1/2019: AND NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE/PRANK

SO I have been dealing with this issue for a couple weeks now, been trying to do my own research first to determine if it is a software/update issue causing this but..... my boot SSD, the 240GB ADATA that was sent with my system appears to be failing ALREADY! Practically anytime my computer even goes to sleep I have to pray it will boot on 1 go. 9/10 when waking or booting the computer prompts me stating that no boot device is present. After 1-20 restarts, it does eventual;ly detect it but how long before this becomes permanent? CHKDISK isn't flagging any issues either, or is this my SATA cables failing... again ALREADY?? This nightmare keeps continuing, thisjust keeps prompting me to build a new pc where I have 100% control over part sourcing from now on. I was going to give this one to a family member but now I'm starting to feel it would be a burden even on my 60 yr old mother compared to her SFF desktop from 2010 she got from Bestbuy for $250. That is not a good thing to be feeling, and it pains me. I talked so highly of this company from everything I read, and yes Customer Service MANAGEMENT has been good but that is about the extent, so my praise has turned sour. I've already got most of my parts for the new build ready, just gotta wait on 3 parts to launch and maybe a new GPU.

New build in progress:
Corsair 680x (WHITE/bought)
Ryzen 3850x (once released)
MSI x570 mobo (once released)
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE AIO (WHITE/bought)
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHZ DDR4 (WHITE/bought)
Current GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2070 (owned)
Planned GPU: RTX 2080ti or Navi20 gpu (once released)
WD Black SN750 1TB m.2 NVME SSD w/ Heatsink (Just released/bought)
2 TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD (bought)
Corsair RMX 850 watt psu 80+ plat (WHITE/bought)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 1:02am
Sorry you are still having issues.
I ,as well as many others, disable and/or NEVER use "sleep" on a windows pc. (my wife has a "fruit from an orchard" and has never had a problem with the "sleep" option.)It is a source of many issues. If your problems are related to "waking" from "sleep", I would try going without it for a while. Maybe.....

Good luck on assembling a pc. I just finished one and it is very satisfying and you do save some money. That said, no warranty (meant to say that any warranty issue has to be dealt with the source/mfg of the item and not just one builder) and any issues you have to deal with yourself.

Edited by hoserator - 01 Apr 2019 at 2:39am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 2:58am
Agree with hose.    While we can’t say that sleep mode caused your boot problems, that problem isn’t unusual when a pc tries to come out of sleep.    With today’s lightning fast boot times, sleep should be a thing of the past.   Corrupted files, missing boot order, etc can happen.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 6:50am
Never used sleep, rarely turn off my computer, never had an issue. (15 months.)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:57am
Never use sleep or hibernate... power the machine down every time, unless I'm on a large steam download. No issues. (6 years)
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 1:20pm
Unfortunately, it isn't isolated to waking from sleep. It is any power cycle at all, on from total off or wake from sleep. Basically it is a 50/50 chance anytime I boot. Gotta go over troubleshooting with TS to verify the issue... BIOS cyclings yay! might just swap my 970 Evo to my boot and make the SSD my long load time game drive.

Edited by Psyoshi - 01 Apr 2019 at 1:23pm
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 4:34am
You should save yourself some headache and just send it back and let them fix it. Sure it's probably a couple hundred in shipping, but how much is your time and sanity worth? I certainly don't like to read stories like yours. Bad luck I guess.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 2:25pm
Rofl a couple hundred for a hard drive Alci you are insane. I'd sooner throw it in the trash. Just shows that when you buy the prebuilts you are not getting as quality of parts.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 6:04am
I paid $600 for a HD not too low ago so $200 to fix that plus anything undiscovered sounds like a steal, but it's all about your pain threshold. My is very low. Hope it works out for you.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 10:11am
Well considering the SSD they put into it only cost 29.99 and hard drives are easily the simplest next to ram to install that is not a factor or thought. What on Earth type of hard drive did you pay $600 for? Also shipping of a hard drive is cheap.
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 12:57pm
960 Pro NVMe. The prices have dropped a little since them thank goodness.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2019 at 3:35pm
I have tested everything and basically only thing I can think is I had a power outage that surged that drive and caused bad blocks.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:43am
Ok so spoke with Stephen at TS, they are authorizing a warranty replacement. Thankfully I do have a second SSD (NVME this time), it is going to become my boot drive now and the replacement will have to become my fast load game drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply