FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish II: Level 3 Mini-Review

Post Date: 2014-07-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FinCarp View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FinCarp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish II: Level 3 Mini-Review
    Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:38pm
First off let me just point out that I have been a dedicated online gamer since the early release of DOOM and subsequently Quake 1. Circa 1994. (Much to the dismay of my wife, who has been with me even though I am still addicted to gaming some 20 years later)

I still remember getting my first high-end Compaq computer with my first voodoo card and how those two combined made my gaming experience unbelievable. Rendered 3d fx graphics? Are you kidding me? It was amazing.

That feeling all those years ago is how I feel about my Vanquish II level 3 gaming rig.

I have never bought a "gaming" computer before and I was anxious about doing so over the internet and having one shipped to me. I wasnt interested in building my own machine because I simply dont have the time nor the energy to do so. Im a hard working man with a wonderful family that I enjoy spending time with and I didnt want to learn how to do it. I wanted a pre-built monster.

I did about 2 weeks of searching and investigating for the gaming rig that was right for me (budget, components, etc) and I kept coming back to Digital Storm.

I read previous reviews from actual customers and reviews from trusted sites like techradar and pcgaming and I rarely came across a poor review. I heard that the DS customer service was excellent and the process of buying a computer was near flawless. I will vouch for both.

This machine, my FIRST ever gaming rig, is amazing. Fast, quiet, cool running, beautiful, sleek....I could go on, but Im sure you all get my point. I was even more impressed with the cable management. One word. Pro.

I have one complaint. Minor as it is. The blue led fans in the front were not plugged in. Not sure if they became unseated during shipping or ??? No biggie, was just pointing it out.

Side Note: I added 2 more blue led fans and some blue led cathode lighting. The whole box is lit up. Its awesome. Bought a new keyboard to go with new rig and alls well in my little gaming universe.

I would recommend this company and this machine to anyone who would listen. GOOD JOB DS team of an amazing product.

HIGHFIVE!
melat3mg View Drop Down

Quote melat3mg Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:55pm
I have the same build as you and couldn't be happier. Coming from Macpro's, this thing feels like it's from the future. Crazy what a modern gpu is capable of. I agree on all points except one...I had the exact opposite complaint about the fan led's. I wanted them OFF and it turns out they're built into the fans, I can't turn 'em off without cutting power to the fans (at least on the ones that were put my machine). So short of replacing them, I'm on the blue team. At least I know when the machine's on!. It's Impressive though what DS offers when it comes to build quality/cable management, QC for such great prices.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 6:22pm
Glad to hear you love the PC! Post some pics if you can so we can move your thread to the Customer Reviews section!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 10:53pm
You know, getting those fans plugged back in and making that machine just so much more awesome is really simple.

Let Alex and the team know about it and they'll have you up and looking like a boss in no time.

Grats on the machine, thanks for the positive words for other buyers and we hope you get to enjoy your machine for years and years to come.

welcome to the family!
FinCarp View Drop Down

Quote FinCarp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:53am
I have one complaint. Minor as it is. The blue led fans in the front were not plugged in. Not sure if they became unseated during shipping or ??? No biggie, was just pointing it out.

^ I think you might have misunderstood. I forgot to mention that I did plug them in and it was no biggie. They work and look fine now. Big%20Smile

Pics...

PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 5:59am
Nice rig you have there. And I too remember the old Compaq days with stick figures and D.O.S.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 10:40am
@FinCarp,

Looks awesome! I checked the QA team photos of the PC before it shipped and both blue LED fans were on, it looks like the connection shook loose during shipping. Anyways I'm glad you got it figured out.

Now it's time to enjoy this bad-ass PC!
clinto View Drop Down

Quote clinto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:09am
May I ask how hard it was to add the blue led lights? I'd like to do the same to my Vanguish system, but am a bit of a novice. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:46am
If you mean the light strips that mount inside the case......

Here's a pic of about what you'll get.  Its pretty easy. 

The cold cathode tubes mount with double sided tape, included, to the inside, usually the bottom of the case.. Just remove the windowed left side panel.  They have a mini plug that plugs into the blue/green plastic box.( inverter)   That box mounts anywhere you can, usually behind the right side cover to hide it or the bottom of the case.  The red on/off switch and bracket mount to the inside rear of the case, below the graphics card in an empty slot.  Its mini plug also runs over to the blue box and plugs in.  The other 4 pin , larger plug, plugs into a 4 pin peripheral power plug from the power supply.  Should be an empty one behind the right side cover you can use.  If not, it can be inline connected to another in use. 

Hope this helps.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:50am
Here's an example of one.  Has different colors and length.  12" is typical.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811994001&cm_re=logisys_cold_cathode-_-11-994-001-_-Product
FinCarp View Drop Down

Quote FinCarp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 2:45pm
Thanks for checking Alex, it really was no issue and I couldn't be happier with my machine.

As for the cold cathode lighting, its easy to install, as are the led fans. Follow bprats advice and youd have np.
FinCarp:

*Skyrim
*Wildstar
*Titanfall
*Watchdogs
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 3:26pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:05am
Originally posted by FinCarp

As for the cold cathode lighting, its easy to install, as are the led fans. Follow bprats advice and youd have np.

This is +1 for truth.  I have the cold cathode in my Vanquish II case and it makes it just that much more awesome.  Although I'm looking at green next.  Big%20Smile

Better yet, I'd like to find an RBGY color changer but it's hard to coordinate the fans.
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 5:28am
these by far are my favorite
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9969/lit-182/Logisys_12_Inverterless_True-Color_CCFL_Light_Bar_-_Frontal_180_Lighting_-_Green.html?tl=g6c451s1145

they dont use the switch, they hook directly to the 12v and are about 2x brighter then the regular ccfl's. I switched all of my cathodes with these and im happier with them. Reg cathodes always went dim for no reason one day and then the next they'd be fine..these are always spot on everytime.
Below is the build i built for my kids few months ago with those but red.

Edited by kernols - 26 Jul 2014 at 5:31am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 6:35am
Kernols, thanks for the website.  I'll have to send them some business.  Smile
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 6:58am
No Problem :)

They are a great company, been using them for years. Well packed packages and fast shipping, although im in NY and they are based out of NY so it helps lol

They do sell the same ones on amazon BUT they are not labeled correctly and come with the other connector (speaker terminal style) the ones from frozen are selectable.

Edited by kernols - 26 Jul 2014 at 7:00am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:02am
Thanks for that, kernols.  Brighter with less install time, no seperate inverter, less wiring..........  what's not to love.  Big%20Smile
kernols View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kernols Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 7:06am
Yep for sure, i just had to get a 12v molex extension when i grabbed mine even though they are pretty lengthy i just needed more length to bring them to the back

Edited by kernols - 26 Jul 2014 at 7:06am
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jul 2014 at 11:42am
@snaike   or chech out the NZXT Hue.. can mount the controls in a 5.25 bay or its easy to mod/pull the guts out and mount anywhere in the case. i have one mounted in an extra HDD bay so all i have to do is remove the side panel to adjust the lighting.
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Technologies-5-25-Inch-Controller-8c-hue0000-00b/dp/B008RWT2IY
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:59am
Thanks Ragevirus, I'll give them a look.
 Post Reply Post Reply