FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish Level 4 Upgrade Suggestions?

Post Date: 2020-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ptkda20 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ptkda20 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish Level 4 Upgrade Suggestions?
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:14am
Hey guys,
I'm running a pretty outdated Vanquish Level 4 these days and I was wondering if I could get help with upgrade suggestions on a moderate budget.  I play flight sims like FSX, Xplane, and DCS World mostly.  I would also like a recommendation for a monitor as well, as I have no idea which ones are good or bad for flight sims.  Thanks!

These are the original specs from Digitalstorm:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87M-PLUS (Intel Z87 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Processed Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 7:37am
My Vanquish, like yours, is getting well beyond it's years.. but I've made it work very well with a GTX1070 and 16Gb Ram. It is still holding on, still playing the games I play well with no visible straining, but at 6 years old it is only a matter of time.

For the record... Civ V/VI, Shadow of Mordor/War, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Generation Zero and Elite:Dangerous are the games in my rotation.

Best of luck.
ptkda20 View Drop Down

Quote ptkda20 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:43am
Thanks for the reply!  From what I've been reading, this motherboard can only handle DDR3 RAM correct? So if I wanted to upgrade my RAM I would most likely need to get the same kind.  I was hoping to get up to 32GB of RAM.  I'm not sure if all the upgrades will be worth it to get this PC up to speed or if I should look into a new PC. 

In reality I'd like to have 32GB RAM, GTX 1080 or higher, and a nice monitor for my flight sims.

I'm on the fence also because I'm not sure if a new motherboard and a new CPU would make a huge difference for my playing purpose.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:17am
The only game I play is DCS World, with pretty much all settings maxed out. I am using a 6 month old Lumos with an i7-9700K, RTX 2070 Super, and 32 GB of RAM, all connected to an Alienware 34" 1440P monitor.

I am not currently having any onscreen stutters with this set-up, but I have not yet tried it with the new DCS "Super Carrier", which will probably be a good test for the 2070 Super.

I am not an expert on computer hardware performance, but I think an upgraded graphics card might give you more bang for your buck than a new cpu. Adding some more RAM might help as well.

However, on an older computer, I would compare costs on your desired upgrades to that old machine versus just getting a new DS machine. I tend to buy new stuff before sinking a lot of money in older technology upgrades.
ptkda20 View Drop Down

Quote ptkda20 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2020 at 12:57pm
Yeah, I figure at least $1,200 to get it playable. And that’s just in the short run. So maybe I should look into a new PC for the long run.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 4:31am
IMHO all you need is RAM and a GPU upgrade, so why $1200?

You can get 32 GB of RAM for ~$160 (I think you have to have 2 sticks, probably don't have room for 4.)

And you'd max out at an RTX 2070 SUPER on that PSU, but that would be the pick anyway for 1440p widescreen as Bob100 confirms. MSI and Gigabyte brands available at $500

Looks like ~$660 will jump you to a level you'd not quite believe. Your CPU and mobo are not a big deal at this point. You'd be looking at around $2400 for that performance all new with 32GB of RAM. Up to you. Play with the configurator and see what you think.
ptkda20 View Drop Down

Quote ptkda20 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:33pm
Thanks for the input, I’ll definitely consider those upgrades!! Sounds pretty good to me
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 6:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply