FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vaping.....

Post Date: 2016-01-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RocknRollOutlaw View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vaping.....
    Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 3:01am
Not sure if this really belongs here, but I've been a smoker for 20 years and started "vaping" as this is my first full day doing it I must say it's great. I smoked 1.5 packs a day and since the me vaping haven't touched a smoke yet..

Now, As a smoker of 20 years does that harm the hardware in my comp (sadly i smoke indoors, well used too till tonight). I think this is a good thing, vaping that is.

Any thoughts from DS employees and customers?

You are all really awesome people, so any thoughts is appreciated.

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 3:03am
If this isn't the right place to post this, then I apologize
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 3:32am
Hi RocknRollOutlaw... I don't have any personal experience with smoke on home computers, but in the workplace with computer controlled equipment, I have seen the affects of smoke on fans, card cages, etc. Not just cigarettes but other equipment giving off pollutants.   Basically, it was less about the tar, oil etc directly effected the parts and more about dust and hair sticking to the fans and plugging small air holes. The dust clung to the parts and simply blowing them off didn't work.   

So much depends on how much you smoke, type of cigarettes, distance away, etc.

In general, a home PC can be effected if the smoke goes directly into the rig. I'm sure there are plenty of smokers that have seen no problem.   

Hope this helps.

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 3:39am
Like I said I've been a smoker for 20 years, and ast least 15 of those years was right at my comp. I was a thought I pondered with how much I smocked. I honestly never put much thought into it till I got my Apollo as this is a beautiful machine. My choice was camel cigs up til 3 years ago and started camel crush and now vape. I just want to stop smoking, so I hope this curbs or stops it. Thank you bpratt22 for responding.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:04am
My pleasure.    We used to joke that camels were the worst because of their nicotine content and unfiltered, but they do have filtered and such.

I should add.... Congrats on your efforts.     

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Jan 2016 at 4:14am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:29am
Hi RocknRollOutlaw.
Had a boss who chained smoked until he died. He parked his ciggies in an ashtray right in front of the intakes (you could see the smoke going directly into the pc) Never had a problem with the system but I bet it was dirty. So, like bpratt22 says, the smoke probably causes no harm (to the pc) but the works get gunked up with dust and air particles making maintenance harder and keeping it clean next to impossible. That being said, that was in the 80-90s and computers were much simpler then. Today there are radiators, multiple GPUs, PSUs,and what not in there, so.....
Keep up the good fight to stop smoking. The evidence appears overwhelming that it is not good for you. Have very good friend that has been  cigarette free for more than two years with the help of vaping.Smile

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:00am
Thank you Horseator....It's just something I always pondered. I was born in the 70's and started smoking heavy in the 90's when I first got into computers. So thanks for the responses.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:43am
1st .. congratulations on your efforts to quit smoking. If only for the sake of more $ for games!

I have to echo what hoserator said... I had a chance to pull apart an older machine that my father smoked in front of for its entire life. (2 packs a day, Pall Mall red, unfiltered). Those machines were simpler, basically a single fan for all cooling, so we can't draw a fair comparison.

I will say, however that when I did get the machine it reeked of smoke and everything had a heavy nicotine(?) film on it.

As I don't know anything about vaping, I don't know of the chemicals it produces upon exhaling. If it is pure water vapor w/ no chems that comes out, I don't think there would be an issue.
krazyhippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote krazyhippy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
I was thinking of the exact same question the other day. I was wondering if my vape could mess with the computer but I think since it is water vapor then everything should be ok. 
Vanquish 4 Level 4
i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz
Asus Z170-K
16GB RAM
250 SSD
1TB HDD
GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless AC Card

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 12:51am
After a bit of researching it looks like it's just water vap being exhaled. I'm now 3 days with zero regular cigarettes and very much enjoy vaping, so far so good.

But I was sadly a very heavy smoker for 20 years and was just curious about the effects of the hardware. Thank you all for the comments.

I'd love to keep this going for other smokers/Vapers for information.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:26am
If its only WATER vapor, will it condense inside and leave traces of water in areas where water  might create problems, ie. oxidation, conductivity, or who knows? Confused
In humid environments (like S. Fla.) when I take a camera from the airconditioned indoors to outside, the whole thing gets damp. Usually I keep all toys susceptible to moisture effects in the garage where there is no a/c so they are not colder than the outside ambient. I know pc's get to a steady state warm temp. so condensation should not be a problem, but as we all know, a small steady drop of water will erode even rocks. Just curious.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:00am
Originally posted by hoserator

...but as we all know, a small steady drop of water will erode even rocks. Just curious.

A great example of this is the Grand Canyon.   

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:05am
Well the water vapor diminishes seconds after exhale, which really gives no time to enter the PC.

But Snaike makes a point ha.

Edited by RocknRollOutlaw - 30 Jan 2016 at 6:05am

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:06am
I was more curious to the damage I did with my regular smokes.

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:07am
It's all a still valid question as I've never heard it asked before. I suppose this is for us older gamers.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote krazyhippy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 8:56am
Originally posted by RocknRollOutlaw

I was more curious to the damage I did with my regular smokes.

Well, I look at it like this, the walls can turn a yellow color if you smoke inside your home. Now, think about the inside of the computer being the walls and the tar and nicotine sticking to the inside of the computer and components. I would think for sure it would get inside the computer and start a build up of crap but a buddy of mine smoked right by his computers for years and it never seemed to affect his GPU or any other components.

When it comes to vape I do have one thing I have noticed over my years of vaping. When I vape inside my truck I get a film on the windows from the vape and it can be hard to clean off. Now, I would think if it can build up in a car on the windows then it might be doing the same thing inside the computer on the components. I have to say it is one thing that freaks me out because I don't want to ruin my computer and I try not vape around it.

Edited by krazyhippy - 30 Jan 2016 at 9:00am
Vanquish 4 Level 4
i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz
Asus Z170-K
16GB RAM
250 SSD
1TB HDD
GeForce GTX 980 4GB

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:12am
Thanks KrazyHippy for your input. I haven't noticed this vape film yet, and one of the reasons to stop analog cigs was of the yellow tar build up. And It's super cold right now so I love I can vape indoors. But like you said, the tar or what ever can build up. I love my new Apollo so I don't want to damage it.

As of now I see no build up from my vape compared to my regular cigs. Also I'm 6 days regular smoke free thanks to vaping :)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:26am

Also I'm 6 days regular smoke free thanks to vaping :)

Outstanding. One day at a time...   

Quote RocknRollOutlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:30am
Thank you Snaike... Since vaping I've had zero urge to pick up my regular smokes, which I actually keep on me. I'm actually (and girlfriend) I haven't touched one yet. I mean I was a 1.5 a pack a day smoker.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 4:31am
Congratulations on keeping your cancer sticks in the package where they belong. Every day that goes by with them in the box is another victory. Someday you will leave them home and frame them. The last pack!Awesome

Edited by hoserator - 02 Feb 2016 at 4:32am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote krazyhippy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 5:27pm

Thanks KrazyHippy for your input. I haven't noticed this vape film yet, and one of the reasons to stop analog cigs was of the yellow tar build up. And It's super cold right now so I love I can vape indoors. But like you said, the tar or what ever can build up. I love my new Apollo so I don't want to damage it.

As of now I see no build up from my vape compared to my regular cigs. Also I'm 6 days regular smoke free thanks to vaping :)

Your welcome and great job on giving up the smokes. It gets much easier over time and then you wont even want a smoke. I can't even stand the smell of cigs anymore.
Vanquish 4 Level 4
i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz
Asus Z170-K
16GB RAM
250 SSD
1TB HDD
GeForce GTX 980 4GB

Post Reply Post Reply