FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox Build. Looking for Feedback

Post Date: 2019-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nexas View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nexas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Build. Looking for Feedback
    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 7:33pm
Hi everyone. I'm putting together a Velox, and I was looking to get some feedback on my build.Some of my primary concerns are noise level, and temp control. My current PC runs very hot and loud, and that is something I would like avoid with my new build. Also I'm not sure if I want to go with the RTX 2080 or save some money with a 2070. I don't have a 4k monitor right now, but would like to get one in the future. How drastic is the 4k performance between the two cards?

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:59am
Hi Nexas,

Welcome to DS.

That is a nice system you have there. The configuration gurus will chime in later and give more reasoned advise.

I can tell you that I would change the Storage Set1 to a NVM Express drive. The 860 is SATA and while much faster than SSD, the NVM is much faster than a SATA. (my personal choice is the 970 Pro).
Also the oc  for the gpu is not needed.

And last, the window on the Velox is on the right looking at the front. Just in case.
Enjoy. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 01 Mar 2019 at 2:00am
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:04am
I respect your build and the fact that you only have 16 GB of RAM unlike all the other peeps here who like to see double sided RGB on a MOBO =)

The RTX 2070 I would compare to the GTX 1080. 2070 is a bit better and can run 2K without issues. 4k will be really good with the 2070 and 2080 will offer you better FPS if that's what you're looking for, and will cost you an extra 400 dollars. Not worth IMHO. 400 bucks you could get another HD, upgrade your cooling ect.....

Forgot to mention your overclock on the GPU and CPU are not needed. The clock speed of all your hardware will be top notch right out of the box.

Edited by ThePinkGoat - 01 Mar 2019 at 5:17am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 5:49am
IMHO, the monitor size and viewing distance while gaming usually defeats the purpose of 4K. It's great for a huge display from quite a few feet away, but it barely dings 2K up close and personal. I think ThePinkGoat is right that the extra cost of gearing up for the great performance you can have for much less at 2K is not worth it. Last I looked, you would have to pony up $1800 for a 27" 4K monitor that could play at more than 60 FPS, for example. At 27" what can you see at 4k you don't get at 2K? Almost everyone here is very pleased with 2k at higher framerates for gaming.

Ditto the choice of an NVMe for your primary drive, but you would never notice the performance difference between the Pro and the EVO, and they both have 5 year warranties, so I recommend the 970 EVO.

The video card has fans, so if you want quieter, don't overclock it. Everything else is very cool, but the 750 W PSU would be plenty.

Hope it helps.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 1:34pm
I have a 42" Samasung 4K tv that does my 4k 60FPS needs but on PC I don't use 4k for gaming. I prefer my 27" 1440p that can do 144hz refresh and at 1/5 the cost of a comparable 4k monitor. Personally I have the 2070 and can say definitively that it performs stellar in all games I have thrown at it with max settings. Getting on avg 90-120FPS on modern AAA titles at 1440p which is good since anything over 143 I would have to frame cap anyways to avoid screen tearing and disabling G-Sync. If you do game more than 3-4ft from your screen regularly a larger 4k display may work for you. But a 4k TV will do the same job if you must have 4k but possibly provide better sharpness and color at a much better price.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 6:43am
Thks Psyoshi, it's good to have an experienced perspective.
 Post Reply Post Reply