FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox build

Post Date: 2019-06-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hplc View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hplc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox build
    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 7:35pm
I have bought a few computers from DS over the years. I am thinking about getting a new one as mine are all quite old. Ideally like something for casual gaming, but also quiet. I am not sure if this is the right tower to go with or if one of the others might be better? I also read that the i7 9700k might do the trick for what I am looking for also.

budget:
Like to stick under $3500 as exchange rate adds 30%, but that isn't a hard number.

Expectations:
Quiet, gaming.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-P (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by hplc - 09 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 10:03pm
Hi there hpic.

What kind of casual gaming, and what monitor resolution are you planning on using?   

Velox build is a pretty good one, but yes for gaming you can probably go with the excellent 8 core 8 thread I7-9700K and save a little to put towards a better video card.   This CPU overclocks very very well, and in gaming it’s right up there with the 8 core 16 thread I9-9900K in performance.   I would suggest using the $ difference towards a change to the all around stronger midrange performer RTX 2070 video card.   That GPU is the sweet spot that can do just about everything well...much better bang for the buck.    You have good Corsair AIO no maintenance cooling for the Stage 2 Overclock on the CPU.    Excellent Corsair RAM & PSU.    We usually do not recommend overclocking video cards on air cooling alone...more GPU stress than benefit.    The Asus Prime is an entry level board with only 4 SATAIII ports.   I would change to the Asus Strix Z390-H motherboard as it’s a better value board because it offers support for SLI, and 2 more SATAIII ports for a total of 6 available SATA ports.    Also, there is a free DS RGB led case light string with remote control if you select it.

You seem a bit uncertain about the DS designed Velox case choice.    Velox builds place the motherboard upside down and the door is on the right side.    That puts the video card upside down at the top of the case.    Don’t forget the DS Velox case is also offered in the colors red, white, or blue for + $149.   

Velox Build1   ($3128)   Config # 2418700
Price comes down when we change to I7-9700K...Use savings on a better RTX 2070 GPU.

Lumos builds place the motherboard in the normal position with GPU in the cooler lower position, and faces the left side of the popular all tempered glass Corsair Crystal Series 570X case.    The Lumos is the more showy case of the two....a tech work of art to show off.    Both builds would be fairly quiet with Corsair mag lev fans you selected.     I have a recent Lumos build with the Corsair LL fans and it’s extremely quiet.

Lumos Build1   ($3288) Config # 2418692
A couple of tweaks to save by going with Corsairs 240mm cooler, less expensive Corsair LL Series fan kit, and the I7-9700K CPU...allows you to move all the way up to an excellent RTX 2080 that can play everything at Max or Ultra settings for a much stronger gaming build..

Edited by HockeyBuck - 10 Jun 2019 at 1:04am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 5:36am
Lots of good advice here. But...

Since we don't know your monitor resolution, it seems some assumptions about your GPU needs might mislead you. The RTX 2060 is the price/performance choice for 1080p resolution. The 2070 is the price/performance choice for 1440p (aka 2K). What I mean by that is that those cards, at those resolutions will currently play almost every game at high frame rates and high settings.

For instance, the 2060 at 1080p plays Battlefield V, avg 104 fps. Deus Ex Man. Div., avg 94fps. Far Cry 5, avg 106 fps. Monster Hunter World, avg 105 fps. Shadow of Tomb raider, avg 89 fps. Ghost Recon Wildlands, avg 90 fps. Forza Horizon 4, avg 88 fps. All at highest settings. If you game at 1080p, and you want better performance than that, step up to a 2070.

These are some of the most demanding titles around. Everything else plays quite a bit better. At 1440p, the 2070 puts out similar numbers. Again, if not enough, step up to a 2080. IMO, that's a heck of a premium for a few frame rates better when we all know the next gen is going to embarrass these cards.

Just sayin'.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:33pm
The Velox is a DS exclusive designed case. It is very roomy and easy to work in. Nobody has it unless its a DS system. You pay a premium for that. Make sure you don't mind the window on the right (facing the pc).
As to the gpu, if we waited for the next best thing we would always be waiting. Buy today what will give you some time before games become unplayable. An air cooled gpu is one of the easiest parts to upgrade as time dictates. No matter what you end up ordering, it will be awesome. Big%20Smile
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 12:49pm
This build is almost 100% in my heart. The i9 is new and runs hot and you will not notice a (measurable) difference between the i9 and the better more affordable bang for your bunch i7 9700k.

Drop the overclocking it's a waste of money, you're gaming, right? You will not notice a "measurable" difference in speed from OC vs stock.
hplc View Drop Down

Quote hplc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 2:11pm
Thanks for the replies.

I will be getting a 1440p monitor. I am mostly intro strategy games like total war three kingdoms.

I am just finishing at work but will take a look at those other builds suggested above. From a practical stand point does the positioning of the GPU make any difference with regard to the lumos vs velox?

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 3:38pm

For a GPU on air cooling, a few degrees C can matter.    It will be warmer at the top of a case than in the lower part.    Folks using liquid cooling on GPU wouldn’t notice, and they may like to see their LC GPUs top of the window....but for GPU on air I personally wouldn’t use the upside down motherboard DS cases for that.    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 7:21am
TW 3K is having a lot of issues running on the current RTX 20 series cards. You may be well advised to research that problem before you invest a lot of cash hoping to enjoy that game in particular. I'd bet NVidia is working hard on a driver fix, but it's unclear just what the problems are. Many are reporting flashing, strobing and flickering with the most recent drivers.
ZRX1200Rider View Drop Down

Quote ZRX1200Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 12:16pm
Dumb question, but does the air exhaust out the back or out the top of the Velox case?
Black Ops Assassin
2600K 4.4ghz OC @ 1.36v
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Corsair HX1050
Intel 320 SSD 120GB
WD Caviar Black 500GB
GTX 570HD 1.2GB
Corsair A70
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 1:31pm
Possibly both.    Top input or exhaust depends on how they set up the cpu cooler.    Back is an exhaust fan.
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by hplc

Thanks for the replies.

I will be getting a 1440p monitor. I am mostly intro strategy games like total war three kingdoms.

I am just finishing at work but will take a look at those other builds suggested above. From a practical stand point does the positioning of the GPU make any difference with regard to the lumos vs velox?

Are you looking to get a 2560x1440 monitor or a 3440x1440 Ultrawide monitor? I will say that TW: Three kingdoms even taxes my 2080Ti on my Ultrawide lol. Not that 80ish FPS is a big deal in that game type. But across most games there is a big difference in FPS between 2560x1440 and 3440x1440, but I do love my Ultrawide.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
hplc View Drop Down

Quote hplc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:06pm
I am pretty sure I have decided on the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27 inch. I figure the rtx 2070 or 2080 should be good with it.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
Seems a solid IPS GSync monitor!
Many of us here prefer using IPS class monitors for superior color characteristics.
Whatever monitor you choose, select a GSync tested monitor from the current NVidia approved list.....

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs

SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:35pm
Yeah that is a pretty tried and true monitor and will look amazing! Those cards should be just fine for that resolution also.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:59am
HI hplc
Have that monitor and love it. Enjoy.

hplc View Drop Down

Quote hplc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:11pm
I think this is the build I have finally decided on unless I missed something obvious. The price dropped while I was reading up on things which is a bonus and allowed me to get a few extras in terms of cooling/quiet. I decided on the 2080 graphics card too as should keep me good for a few years.

The last question I had was is CPU overclock to stage 2 worth it?

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by hplc - 16 Jun 2019 at 12:11pm

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:26pm
Yup I do think Stage 2 OC is worth it.   

See, Intel designs these K class and X class processors to be overclocked, and then you are already buying that extra performance...but you don't get to use it all unless you do overclock the CPU.    This I7-9700K processor is well known as a very easy overclocking CPU at Stage 2 frequency.    You have excellent cooling capacity with the Corsair 280 mm cooler, so if there is $99 left on the budget then yes I do think it's a very good place to spend it....and get all the performance that you paid for out of this excellent Intel processor.

I like the change to the RTX 2080 GPU...That should serve you better, for even longer.

You are going to love the Lumos (Corsair Crystal 570X) case!   Glad you are finalizing your build. The Lumos is a DS tech work of art, so be sure you have a good spot on a desktop to show it off and keep it away from the dust zone!   
hplc View Drop Down

Quote hplc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 7:42am
Haha. Price dropped another $300 today so I am glad I was slow reading up on all the stuff I read in the forums.

Addendum: I have finally ordered it.

Edited by hplc - 17 Jun 2019 at 12:21pm

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:08pm
Congrats!    The wait begins...lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply