FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox configuration feedback, please!

Post Date: 2020-03-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
erict43 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote erict43 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox configuration feedback, please!
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:23pm
Budget:
Trying to keep it under $3k, but a little over is OK

Expectations:
Great gaming and video encoding performance, as quiet as possible, but performance is higher priority.

Usage:
Main usage is gaming and recording gameplay for my YouTube channel. Recorded footage will be edited and encoded on this system as well. I have 2x 1440p G-Sync monitors. The games I usually play are not super GFX intensive. Mostly strategy, RTS, RPG, and sandbox games like SC2, WoW, Civ 6, Factorio, etc.

Special Needs:
I'd like the system to be as quiet as possible to avoid fan noise bleeding into my microphone. I currently have a DS system with a Slade chassis - I thought of using the Slade X, but I don't know if the lower airflow from that chassis would be counterproductive. Thoughts? I have spec'd the maglev fans on this system, as I understand they are very quiet.

I chose the i9 processor with the expectation that it will encode faster than an i7.

I have a 2TB 7200 HDD available that I will put into this system as well. Plan is to have OS and apps on the M.2, games running on the SSD, and will record to the HDD.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

---

Saved Ticket #: 2926133

Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:57am
Fine build.

You might wish to compare performance for your editing and encoding with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X paired with an ASUS Prime 570x PRO motherboard. That would emphasize the CPU heavy workload vs gaming, and bring 4 more cores and 8 more threads to the task. Gaming would suffer only slightly while your other work would be stepped up considerably. Costs about $110 more than your build for the higher end mobo. Just a thought.
erict43 View Drop Down

Quote erict43 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Cretae

Fine build.

You might wish to compare performance for your editing and encoding with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X paired with an ASUS Prime 570x PRO motherboard. That would emphasize the CPU heavy workload vs gaming, and bring 4 more cores and 8 more threads to the task. Gaming would suffer only slightly while your other work would be stepped up considerably. Costs about $110 more than your build for the higher end mobo. Just a thought.

Thanks, I will take a look at the Ryzen!
erict43 View Drop Down

Quote erict43 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:33am
I found a good article comparing Ryzen 9 3900X with the i9 9900K. Based on the info here, I think I'll go with the Ryzen for the additional cores.

Any thoughts on the Velox case vs. the Slade X case? I'll be using the maglev fans and Corsair airflow controller, which ought to cut noise quite a bit. I wonder if having better airflow with a more open case would actually reduce noise more (due to lower fan RPM) than using a more closed-off case like the Slade X. I suppose this would be difficult to predict, wouldn't it?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 3:50am
Strong and fair analysis; excellent article. I'm glad you found it and it helped you decide!

As for the Slade case against ANY other, you are the one with experience with the Slade. If you are not craving a change, I would stick with what you know works for you. We used to have a great contributor here for years who said often, "Trap noise, trap heat." But, with an AIO cooler and those upgraded fans, heat issues are under control, I think. DS doesn't look to create problems.

That said, there's quiet, and there's dead silent. Everyone with the maglevs remarks how quiet they are, but the radiator fans aren't quite that good. You get to make the call.
erict43 View Drop Down

Quote erict43 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:34am
Thanks for all the feedback. I ultimately decided to go with the Velox case. I added another SSD while I was at it, ordered config 2928610. Now the hard part - the wait!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:49am
Looks excellent! I hope it's everything you want it to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply