Quote dfeldner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox configuration
    Posted: 11 May 2020 at 6:14pm
Budget:

Expectations:
Will this be a quiet configuration?

Usage:
moderate gaming

Specifications:
Will Raid 1 work with SSD slots? Want this to be a "no hands on backup solution" if possible.

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support) <br><strong></strong> System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series <br><strong></strong> Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold) <br><strong></strong> Expansion Bay: - No Thanks Optical Drive: - No Thanks Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong> Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe) <br><strong></strong> Storage Set 3: - No Thanks RAID Config: RAID 1: Mirroring: Drive Failure Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs) <br><strong></strong> RAID Card: - No Thanks Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong> Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio HPC Processor: - No Thanks Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong> HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow) Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong> Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software <br><strong></strong> Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong> Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <br><strong></strong> Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install) Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
smfcpa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote smfcpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:19pm
Yes it will work on a Raid 1 array. I have yet to see a "no hands on backup solution" work, even on a Raid 1 setup. Maybe I am just unlucky or stupid.

Edited by smfcpa - 11 May 2020 at 9:21pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:13am
Your config is really hard to read, but if I got it right, you're nearly $700 under budget. I don't know for an absolute certainty that this is the way to select Raid 1 for your primary NVMe SSDs as I've never seen anyone do that before. I can't confirm if NVMe drives can do Raid 1, (they WILL do raid 0). It looks right, and the Configurator accepts it, so.... I would still check with DS, or most certainly write in the Build Comments that that is your intent.

IMHO, a safer way to achieve "no hands on backup" would be an external SSD with auto-back-up software. If anything happens to your primary drive, the external clone is all there and up-to date if you select the right settings. On the other hand, with 2 NVMes, if your mobo fries, what happens to your Raid array? IDK the answer to that one.    I would find out.

It will be a quiet system, but with all that room in the budget, you might consider the Corsair LL Series case fans. With the iCue software you download, you can control not only colors but fan speeds for custom quiet.

I don't see the need for a 1000W power supply. I'm not going to run the numbers, but I doubt highly you're very close to 500W power use. The 850 selections will all come with a much longer factory warranty should you need it than the DS model at one year.

The 2060 SUPER is pretty ideal for 1080p up to very decent fps on high depending on the game. Not good if you have 1440p or ambitions.

dfeldner View Drop Down

Quote dfeldner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:56am
Thanks for the replies.

I choose " Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software " to control the fans and temps. Do you thinke the iCue software and Corsair fans batter?

If raid 1 isn't a possibility (not sure on that) I will change to raid 0 for faster read/writes and have to go with external drive backup solution. Been doing that for many years and is a pain and I have had problems in the past (10 yrs ago) where the backup was damaged and you don't know until you try to use it.

Don't know enough about SSD drives yet. Do the external ones keep data even when powered off? How long do the NVMe drives keep data without power as in the MB frying? What keeps NVMe drives from losing data during no power applied to system? Does the MB have batteries to keep power on them?

So should I upgrade to 2080 Super? As I wanted 1440p. TI is just so expensive. I thought the 2060 would do 1440p okay.

I chose the cpu to run cooler and save money, As the 2060 Super also. Hoping the system would be as quiet as possible.

850 PS works I just choose the 1000 because so little difference in price but hadn't considered warranty. That's a good point so will go back to 850W.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:02am
I do full image backups once a week and do incrementals three other times a week to an internal HDD, which for me is enough. I use a product by Storagecraft as my backup software. Once setup it is hands-free.

I also periodically run a one time Full backup to an external HDD in case, as Cretae mentioned, a motherboard failure. Once or twice a month I have the image verified.

I also have Word, Outlook and Quicken data saved to a Carbonite account in the cloud.

With that said why don't you consider an internal HDD to be used for backups and use your SSD's for the OS, programs and data? It would be a lightning fast system and if you leave it on 24/7 the backups can occur at 2:00 AM.

As far as a video card is concerned why not split the difference and get a RTX 2070 Super? That is the road that I am going down.

Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 6:27pm
Yep, get the 2070 Super. Great for 1440P.
dfeldner View Drop Down

Quote dfeldner Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:02pm
Any recommendations for monitor for the 1440p? 27" prolly
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:04pm
I have ordered the LG GL850. I did a ton of research and figuring out my priorities. This was where I ended up and I got it through Best Buy for $499.00. However I won't actually have it running in the system for probably another month.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2020 at 5:40am
Originally posted by dfeldner

Thanks for the replies.

I choose " Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software " to control the fans and temps. Do you thinke the iCue software and Corsair fans batter?

If raid 1 isn't a possibility (not sure on that) I will change to raid 0 for faster read/writes and have to go with external drive backup solution. Been doing that for many years and is a pain and I have had problems in the past (10 yrs ago) where the backup was damaged and you don't know until you try to use it.

Don't know enough about SSD drives yet. Do the external ones keep data even when powered off? How long do the NVMe drives keep data without power as in the MB frying? What keeps NVMe drives from losing data during no power applied to system? Does the MB have batteries to keep power on them?

So should I upgrade to 2080 Super? As I wanted 1440p. TI is just so expensive. I thought the 2060 would do 1440p okay.

I chose the cpu to run cooler and save money, As the 2060 Super also. Hoping the system would be as quiet as possible.

850 PS works I just choose the 1000 because so little difference in price but hadn't considered warranty. That's a good point so will go back to 850W.

-The Corsair fans are better quality, ought to be a tad quieter, and the iCue software will allow speed control without any other help.

-sfmcpa said the RAID 1 will work. I missed that.

-SSDs of all kinds are persistent memory. Normally they will retain data for years. My only concern was the placement of the M.2 slots right on the front of the motherboard MIGHT make them more vulnerable to loss in case of a catastrophe. The answer is above my pay grade, so I thought it might be a question for DS for peace of mind. Heck, loss of a motherboard is a very low probability event in the first place.

-The 2060 is weak for 1440p. The price/performance sweet spot is the RTX 2070. It will get to fps well above 60 on high and Ultra settings on a vast array of games for years to come (most 90+). IMO the 2080 is too much money for the smallish performance boost.

-The CPU you picked is no dog, certainly. The Firecudas are new PICe standard 4 parts that AMD 570 chipsets support, and no Intel boards here do yet. So, very good.

-I liked John18's monitor pick. You could get more ideas looking at this page. All these monitors are Nvidia certified to support G-Sync.

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

Hope we're helping.

Edited by Cretae - 13 May 2020 at 6:57am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:50am
Some here (me included) like the Asus ROG PG279Q. Its TN cousin the PG278QR (and newer versions)are rated to be tops at 2K (1440). Both are very good. Acer is another popular brand.
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2020 at 7:07am
Those were two of the ones that made it to my final four candidates.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:10am
Mere mortals like me and speaking subjectively, the difference in blacks and angle viewing give, IMO, the edge to the PG279Q-. If you are a hardcore professional gamer your only choice is the PG278Q-.
 Post Reply Post Reply